The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel by Lauren…

The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Lauren Weisberger

Info:Broadway (2004), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:READ >2011

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (2003)

English (174)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (189)
Did not finish. I'm not sure which is worse, the narrator or the "devil." Both are equally uninteresting. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
I am not really a fun of what they call "chicks books", but I had reed some of them and had fun. This one was not one of them. The author repeats herself and the main character is weak and everybody around has more personality and attitude. Watch the movie is better. First time I said this.... ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
Funny and captivating. Just two of the words to describe this book. I laughed out loud often while reading this book. I also yelled at the pages as if I could somehow prevent Andy from making some very bad choices. I really disliked the ending of the book and felt movie had a much better ending. I also found the need "to leave your whole future behind" because your drunk friend gets into a DUI car wreck to be a poor excuse to quit working. Really, what parent would tell their child that they need to come home because their friend needs them for emotional support, long weekend yes, quit work, no. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | Apr 29, 2014 |
Sorry I stooped so low as to read this. I will note that the boyfriend and the best friend were the least likable characters for me, which I don't think was the intent there. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I absolutely LOVED this book! I thought it was cute, funny, and chic! Andrea was just great and I love listening to her little comments or thoughts after Miranda sent her on a job to do. Miranda was just pure evil and mean, I really don't know how Andrea or Emily stayed working for her as long as they did. Maybe all the free designer clothes and purses they got? They had to be pretty awesome!

I was able to watch the movie right after I read this and it was really good! The book of course was much better! I listened to this book on my Audible and the narrator was great, so easy to listen to! ( )
  BeckyGandee | Nov 14, 2013 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:40 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,989,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible