Chime by Franny Billingsley

Chime

by Franny Billingsley

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Lcanon)
    Lcanon: Similar family dynamics, as well as arsenic.
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Same beautiful and true writing, sly humor, heartbreaking characters, dark mystery.
    The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry (foggidawn)

This is an exceedingly well written and thought provoking book. Especially for the genre it is in. There are so many poorly written, shallow YA books out right now. Books that largely consist of a love triangle or a summer romance that do not deign to go deeper than such things. Not that there is anything at all wrong with these kinds of books, I read and love them too; however, it is very nice to see that there are still challenging, artistic YA books being published like Chime. It is really too bad that this book is receiving such a low rating, though it is understandable. It is a quirky book that is just not going to sit well with a lot of people. The good news is, I think it will be very easy for you to tell whether this is a book for you from the sample. I knew I would love it from it's very first pages.

P.S. The cover shown here does a terrible job of expressing what this book is all about. ( )
1 vote Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
This book was good at the end, but the first hundred or so pages is really repetitive and slow. We get it - you think you're a witch and you hate yourself for it - move on. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 24, 2014 |
I loved this novel, one that I would categorize as slipstream. It is historical fiction, yet is infused with elements of the fantastic. Old Ones abound, bringing their ancient magic and enchantment into Briony's community. It's folklore come true. Full review here: http://tahleenreads.blogspot.com/2012/06/review-chime-by-franny-billingsley.html ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
What a treat! A gripping story, marvelous characters, madly inventive language, supernatural romance. I thought the ending was a little unbelievable for the world Billingsley created--seems like a gung-ho pitchforks-and-blazing-torches town that dismisses the death of an innocent with an "oh, well" wouldn't have been so concerned about justice in the end. But I got the ending I craved so no complaints here.
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
It's the early 20th Century, but it's a world unlike ours, there's witches and magic and supernatural creatures (vampires are mentioned but don't really appear, then again it's dependent on your definition of vampires). Witches are hung and legend says that they turn to dust after they die, but many who are accused and found to be witches are not turning to dust.

Briony starts the novel saying that she's guilty of witchcraft and would like to be hung, please, but as the story unfolds and as it travells backwards you discover that that's not the whole story, as the story unfolds and you see that Briony has taken a lot of burdens on herself, not the least of which is the responsibility for her sister, Rose, who is a challenge. She's obsessive and disruptive and Briony blames herself for her twins problems.

But at the end of it Briony is shown to be an unreliable, if poetic, narrator and when everything resolves itself you know that she doesn't mean it and she believes what she has said before.

It's a really good read, an interesting read and the way it's written was so good. I just wish they weren't talking about a fatal cough while I was coughing my way through the book. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 7, 2014 |

Franny Billingsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Richard, for always
I've confessed to everything and I'd like to be hanged. Now, if you please.

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.

In the early twentieth century in Swampsea, seventeen-year-old Briony, who can see the spirits that haunt the marshes around their town, feels responsible for her twin sister's horrible injury until a young man enters their lives and exposes secrets that even Briony does not know about.… (more)

118 wanted1 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Chime by Franny Billingsley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible