Chime by Franny Billingsley

Chime

by Franny Billingsley

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Lcanon)
    Lcanon: Similar family dynamics, as well as arsenic.
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Same beautiful and true writing, sly humor, heartbreaking characters, dark mystery.
    The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry (foggidawn)

This book was provided to me as an audiobook by the library, because the library is awesome.

Briony has a secret. It is a secret that killed her stepmother, ruined her sister's mind, and will end her life, if anyone were to know. She has powers. Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and a great mane of tawny hair. He is as natural as the sun, and he treats her as if she is extraordinary. And everything starts to change . . .

Hear me now and know these words I type are true: This. Book. Is. Awesome.
The Chosen One. It’s a common device in the world of fantasy books. While it can be a great tool in the hands of a thoughtful author, after a while one wants something different. Chime is something different. Briony Larkin is, without a doubt, something different. Briony is far and away one of the most engaging and relatable characters I have ever read. Her sister Rose and love interest Eldric are right up there with her. I’ve always smirked at girls talking about “book boyfriends”, but I kind of get it now. These characters are in my head and in my heart. The story is enthralling, twisty, and gives away everything and nothing at the same time. The moment I thought I had it all worked out, there was a new element that I never saw coming. So good!
The audiobook narration by Susan Duerden, was very well done. Ms. Duerden does an excellent job of conveying the characters’ emotions. The tonal differentiation between the characters was so well done that I knew which character was speaking without any additional explanation. I look forward to listening to any book narrated by Ms. Duerden.
I recommend Chime to anyone over the age of 14. Some scenes might be considered scary to more sensitive readers. There is some alcohol consumption, talk of drug use (arsenic), and poisoning (arsenic), but there is only vague mention of sex. ( )
  khaddox | Mar 21, 2017 |
The narrator, Briony, believes herself to blame for all of her family's misfortunes. She hates herself, having been told by her stepmother that she is a witch. Briony can see and talk to spirits, Brownies, and dangerous others who lurk in the swamp, something only a witch should be able to do.

Briony doesn't want to be hanged, but she believes she should be. She believes she is evil. But then Eldric comes, and brings with him thoughts and ideas Briony never thought possible.

Billingsley has a great gift for language, and spins a beautiful story. There is an underlying thread of mystery throughout that makes you have to keep reading, to find out the truth. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Oct 26, 2016 |
Beautiful!

In a parallel early XX century England where witches exists and Old Ones interfere with human affairs, a young girl struggles with her guilt as she awakens to love.

A haunting story told in a poetic, broken cadence that draws the reader into the unstable mind of the protagonist.

The best book I read this year. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Narrated by Susan Duerden. Briony harbors a secret that could see her hanged: she is a witch. She can see and communicate with the Old Ones, summon the Boggy Man and Muckyface, and she does not fear the swamp. Her late stepmother warned her time and again never to reveal this secret and not to venture far from the parsonage, but there was a darker reason Briony’s stepmother kept her close. I think this would have been more enjoyable and less confusing if I'd read the print. Many of Briony's internal musings and ramblings confuse the story's flow in audio. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Reading this book was a chore, I won't lie. It was like rolling a huge boulder up a very steep hill. The end was worth it, it really was. I was almost about to give this book a bad rating, but it turns out the long and painfully slow journey was worth it. ( )
  gubry | Jan 24, 2016 |

Franny Billingsleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.

In the early twentieth century in Swampsea, seventeen-year-old Briony, who can see the spirits that haunt the marshes around their town, feels responsible for her twin sister's horrible injury until a young man enters their lives and exposes secrets that even Briony does not know about.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Chime by Franny Billingsley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible