Chime by Franny Billingsley

Chime

by Franny Billingsley

Recently added byku., private library, dastevens, Inky_Fingers, EmScape, raselyem7, MidnightFae, sraedi, RdrJen
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Lcanon)
    Lcanon: Similar family dynamics, as well as arsenic.
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Same beautiful and true writing, sly humor, heartbreaking characters, dark mystery.
    The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry (foggidawn)

I am such a fan of this author. I loved her other two books for middle graders, so I was very excited to get hold of her most recent. And there is a lot to like. It is well written, the main character is believable and vibrant, and the author has created an interesting supernatural world in the swamp that the main character lives near. I found it a little difficult to situate the human part of her world in time -- the reference to women smoking cigarettes made me think it might be 1920s, but everything else sound more like 1890s. But my least favorite part of the book is the extremely heavy aura of angst and self loathing that overpowers the narrative. For me, though, you can put this down to my preference for middle grade over YA. The teen audience may love it. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Sep 1, 2014 |
This is an exceedingly well written and thought provoking book. Especially for the genre it is in. There are so many poorly written, shallow YA books out right now. Books that largely consist of a love triangle or a summer romance that do not deign to go deeper than such things. Not that there is anything at all wrong with these kinds of books, I read and love them too; however, it is very nice to see that there are still challenging, artistic YA books being published like Chime. It is really too bad that this book is receiving such a low rating, though it is understandable. It is a quirky book that is just not going to sit well with a lot of people. The good news is, I think it will be very easy for you to tell whether this is a book for you from the sample. I knew I would love it from it's very first pages.

P.S. The cover shown here does a terrible job of expressing what this book is all about. ( )
1 vote Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
This book was good at the end, but the first hundred or so pages is really repetitive and slow. We get it - you think you're a witch and you hate yourself for it - move on. ( )
1 vote SparklePonies | Feb 24, 2014 |
I loved this novel, one that I would categorize as slipstream. It is historical fiction, yet is infused with elements of the fantastic. Old Ones abound, bringing their ancient magic and enchantment into Briony's community. It's folklore come true. Full review here: http://tahleenreads.blogspot.com/2012/06/review-chime-by-franny-billingsley.html ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
What a treat! A gripping story, marvelous characters, madly inventive language, supernatural romance. I thought the ending was a little unbelievable for the world Billingsley created--seems like a gung-ho pitchforks-and-blazing-torches town that dismisses the death of an innocent with an "oh, well" wouldn't have been so concerned about justice in the end. But I got the ending I craved so no complaints here.
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |

Franny Billingsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Richard, for always
I've confessed to everything and I'd like to be hanged. Now, if you please.

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.

In the early twentieth century in Swampsea, seventeen-year-old Briony, who can see the spirits that haunt the marshes around their town, feels responsible for her twin sister's horrible injury until a young man enters their lives and exposes secrets that even Briony does not know about.… (more)

118 wanted1 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Chime by Franny Billingsley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible