Autumn 01 - Autumn by David Moody

Autumn 01 - Autumn (original 2002; edition 2010)

by David Moody

Series: Autumn (1)

Title:Autumn 01 - Autumn
Authors:David Moody
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2010), Paperback, 308 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012
Tags:Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian, Zombies

Autumn by David Moody (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, readerly, glindaharrison, HighMarq, rebelmswar, Flippityflopped

English (39)  Spanish (2)  All languages (41)
It’s been awhile since I’ve enjoyed a zombie book so I was quite happy to curl up with Autumn by David Moody and get lost in a world of disease and walking dead. This book definitely had the right amount of creepy for me. At first 99 percent of the population drops dead within 24 hours and while a small amount of survivors huddle together in shock and grief, they come to the realization that things are definitely going to get worse as after a few days the corpses become reanimated. At first slow and witless, as time goes by, they appear to regain many of their basic instincts along with a hatred of the living. The bright side for the living is that the creatures are continuing to decompose and eventually they should disintegrate.

I enjoyed this dark story but I was a little disappointed with the ending as everything was left up in the air but I will be continuing on with the series in order to see how the author resolves this bleak dystopian tale. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I first read this book in Jan 2012 - loved it, bought and read the entire Autumn series. I have decided to re-read it (a very rare thing for me) and I am reminded why I love this series. It is very readable - not at all confusing - and really describes how people would react in the event of a zombie apocalypse (or so I think.)

I have read many zombie novels, but this one (and the subsequent volumes) are the best. I also enjoyed the "Hater" series by David Moody and he is one of my favorite horror authors. But I doubt that he will surpass the "Autumn" series. If you have not tried, it you should - you will not be disappointed. I off to volume 2: Autumn : the city. DonB ( )
  DonaldBuehler | May 21, 2015 |
Freaky, but a great book. I look forward to the others in the series. More psychological than just horror. Highly recommend. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 23, 2014 |
A quick read that kept me entertained from start to finish. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Sep 14, 2014 |
This is a easy read but still have some intense moments. I've really enjoyed the story so far. I'm looking forward to reading the next book. There is a certain level of grossness, but not too bad. btw, to all my friends, if 99% of the population drop dead and I'm still alive, I'm beheading any of you who are down. I want you to stay down!!! ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
Billions died in less than twenty-four hours.

As a sudden, inexplicable disease kills nearly all of the people in and around the city of Nothwich, the very few survivors attempt to build a new life for them. But their troubles have only just begun.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031256998X, Paperback)

A bastard hybrid of War of the Worlds and Night of the Living DeadAutumn chronicles the struggle of a small group of survivors forced to contend with a world torn apart by a deadly disease. After 99% of the population of the planet is killed in less than 24 hours, for the very few who have managed to stay alive, things are about to get much worse.  Animated by "phase two" of some unknown contagion, the dead begin to rise. At first slow, blind, dumb and lumbering, quickly the bodies regain their most basic senses and abilities... sight, hearing, locomotion...  As well as the instinct toward aggression and violence.  Held back only by the restraints of their rapidly decomposing flesh, the dead seem to have only one single goal - to lumber forth and destroy the sole remaining attraction in the silent, lifeless world:  those who have survived the plague, who now find themselves outnumbered 1,000,000 to 1...

Without ever using the 'Z' word, Autumn offers a new perspective on the traditional zombie story. There's no flesh eating, no fast-moving corpses, no gore for gore's sake. Combining the atmosphere and tone of George Romero's classic living dead films with the attitude and awareness of 28 Days (and Weeks) later, this horrifying and suspenseful novel is filled with relentless cold, dark fear.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

A hybrid of War of the worlds and Night of the living dead, chronicles the struggle of a small group of survivors forced to contend with a world torn apart by a deadly disease.

David Moody is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Autumn by David Moody was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible