Visiting Day by Jacqueline Woodson

Visiting Day (edition 2015)

by Jacqueline Woodson (Author), James Ransome (Illustrator)

Member:Breanna_2218
Title:Visiting Day
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson (Author)
Other authors:James Ransome (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages
Tags:bibliotherapy, incarcerated parent, family

Visiting Day by Jacqueline Woodson

When first reading this book my emotions went through the rough. I did not think this was ok for young kids to read. Because it is about a young girl visiting her dad in jail. Then I took a step back and thought in a more realistic way being in some cases this is a real life scenario for some kids. I suddenly fell in love. ( )
  Phallan | Apr 27, 2017 |
From the cover of the book, my first impression is maybe this man is visiting either his daughter or niece at school or something. However, I was completely wrong. The book opens with the little girl speaking to her grandmother about visiting her father. I thought to myself at work maybe? Wrong again. The book never specifically tells you where they are visiting, however the pictures give you clues as to where they might be. You soon come to realize, her grandmother is taking the title girl to visit her father in jail. Today, lots of students have parens who are in prison and rarely get to see them. I believe they would enjoy this book because they can relate it to their own home life. As a teacher, you need to clarify that your students understand how jails work and what they look like. As I stated the author never specifically mentions jail so they would have to be capable of using prior knowledge to understand the message portrayed in the pictures. ( )
  katelynzemlak | Apr 11, 2017 |
There were a lot of things that I loved about this book. In my opinion this would be a great book for someone to teach in there classroom for various reasons. I liked how shocked I was when I was reading this book because even though it was a children's book it took a turn that I did not think was going to happen. I liked how it was not a traditional children's book and the child was visiting her father in jail. It gave me mixed feelings because I thought about if this book was appropriate enough for young children to read, but then I realized this situation is some kids reality. The book offered a different perspective of family by having a child living with her grandmother, taking public transporation to visit her father in jail. Even though the story was sad it offered a bit of hope because the child and her father still had a close relationship even though they only saw each other once a month. ( )
  hpetti1 | Apr 10, 2017 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Intermediate
Review/Critique: This is a daughter getting ready to visit her father in prison. The book describes all of the events leading up to the visit and gives the reader insight into the young girls head. The book is really interesting because the young girl is extremely positive despite the situation. This book was really powerful because all of the characters seemed so deeply present despite it being a picture book. I think this book could be considered a mix of realistic fiction and biography. The story is based off of Woodson's personal life experience but not everything in the book is accurate (she changed the relationship of the characters).
Comments on Use: I feel like this book is extremely important to have in my class because it is focused on an important sociopolitical issue. This book could be relatable for students who have incarcerated parents or family members. This book could also be used to talk about experiencing hardships within the classroom.
Medium: Crayon and acrylic ( )
  khadijab | Apr 8, 2017 |
A little girl goes to visit her dad in prison one a month. She lives with her grandma and together they take a long bus ride to go visit. She draws pictures to take to his dad. Ages 5-8 ( )
  sayraa | Mar 22, 2017 |

Coretta Scott King Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson has written a poignant picture book about a little girl who waits hopefully for her father's release from prison.

Only on visiting day is there chicken frying in the kitchen at 6 a.m. And Grandma in her Sunday dress, humming soft and low,... As the little girl and her grandmother get ready for visiting day, her father, who adores her, is getting ready, too. The community of families who take the long bus ride upstate to visit loved ones share hope and give comfort to each other. Love knows no boundaries. Here is a story of strong families who understand the meaning of unconditional love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

A young girl and her grandmother visit the girl's father in prison.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,848,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible