101 Things You Thought You Knew About the…

101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't! (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Tim Maltin, Eloise Aston

Member:mrmapcase
Title:101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't!
Authors:Tim Maltin
Other authors:Eloise Aston
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:History, Ships, Shipwreck, Titanic

101 things you thought you knew about the Titanic - but didn't by Tim Maltin (2010)

A few months ago, my husband and I had the pleasure of going to the Titanic Museum in Branson. Not too long after did I receive this book for review. I don't think the fascination of this event will ever get lost in history. If you have any interest in historical elaboration or this specific event in general, then this book is definitely for you. It is full of information and they even include interviews with Titanic survivors themselves, including crew members who had behind-the-scenes details before and after the event. It was like I somehow had a first-hand connection to the Titanic.

I was a little nervous reading this title, because you have to be wary of whether or not the author actually did their research, or they're feeding you a bunch of their own creative theories. It seems that Tim and Eloise really did their research providing a Bibliography and Webliography in the back, and not to mention the numerous interviews they sought. Everything was organized nicely by topic as well.

The only thing I would complain about is although it is filled with intricate detail, sometimes there's just a little too much detail, especially in the interviews. I think the conversations could have been condensed down and more to-the-point, instead they were left feeling a little "fluffly." Nonetheless, it was still just as fascinating. ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | May 14, 2013 |
Small, straightforward, packed with information (although, in fact, I did know quite a bit of it), and impressively researched and cited. Written in the form of Numbered Myth: Answer. No pictures, unfortunately, but I have plenty of those in other books. This book dispels a lot of myths with solid facts. I liked it. ( )
  MerryMary | May 24, 2012 |
Description:

101 Things You Thought You Knew About The Titanic... But Didn't!, was released to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic on April 15, 1912. It contains exactly what the title promises, 101 little known facts about the Titanic, its passengers, and the fateful night that it sank into the frigid sea.

Review:

I, like a billion other people on planet earth, have watched the fictional James Cameron version of The Titanic more times than I'd like to admit. The ship, the sea, the romance, Jack and Rose in the back seat of a Renault... You get the picture, but disregarding the epic love story, what really "went down" on the largest ship in the world in 1912? Well, Tim Maltin has written a guide for the misinformed masses detailing the facts and the myths pertaining to: the ship, the omens, the maiden voyage, the passengers, the iceberg, the collision, the SOS, the Californian incident, the women and children, the final moments, the rescue, the statistics, and the aftermath. Quite an impressive list for such a small book! I was impressed by the amount of facts it held and how much I really didn't know. For example, if the Titanic would have crashed into the iceberg head-on, the ship wouldn't have sank! The book is easy-to-read, engaging, and full of interesting facts that even the biggest Titanic enthusiast can enjoy. I only wish that there had been more photos and illustrations to accompany the quotes and text. Highly recommended to any age group.

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

*** I received this book from the author (BookTrib) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Feb 18, 2012 |
Ok, so it’s a long title.. but it says it all really! Many people have a fascination with the fateful sinking of the Titanic, and there are many stories and myths told.

As Tim explains in his foreword, the sinking triggered the first global media storm, with The New York Times devoting it’s first twelve pages to it. There were also survivors ready to tell their stories, but each only saw their own small piece of the complete picture, and the press attempted to fill the gaps as sensationally as possible.. creating many of the myths which still exist today.

Tim has taken 101 theories about the ship, it’s passengers, and their fate, and he studied each one. He tries to use eye witness accounts, many from the official hearings, and the original question numbers are used, for those who wish to research further.

I wouldn’t suggest this book to someone as an introduction to the Titanic, as there are probably books which do that a little better. This is a book of text and quotes, and there are no illustrations. However, it’s a great addition to the bookshelf of someone with an interest. I have learnt new things, and have questioned others – and the format is reassuring when you have a dislike of sensational reporting.

If you’re ready to question what you thought you knew about the Titanic, this is a highly recommended addition to your collection.
  michelle_bcf | Oct 19, 2010 |
Preface: Jack Thayer was only seventeen years old when he survived the sinking of the Titanic by swimming to an overturned lifeboat.

" April 15th, 2012, will be the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. People have an endless fascination with the Titanic, yet much of what they know today is a mixture of fact and fiction. In one hundred and one brief and engaging chapters, Tim Maltin, one of the foremost experts on the Titanic, reveals the truth behind the most common beliefs about the ship and the night it sank. From physics to photographs, lawsuits to love stories, Maltin doesn't miss one tidbit surrounding its history. Heavily researched and filled with detailed descriptions, quotes from survivors, and excerpts from the official inquiries, this book is guaranteed to make readers rethink everything they thought they knew about the legendary ship and its tragic fate. "--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible