Everlost by Neal Shusterman

can't wait to read the next one!
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
When Nick and Allie are killed in a car crash, they end up in Everlost, or limbo for lost souls, where although Nick is satisfied, Allie will stop at nothing--even skinjacking--to break free. Summary provided by NoveList Plus.
  SamanthaSlonina | Mar 8, 2019 |
I think it is a more of a 3.5 star book for me.

I shall have to divide this review into categories, because I can't see any clear way in which to review this book as a whole.

First, the premise: Two kids die in an accident, but instead of getting to heaven (or hell) they are stuck in a limbo place, called Everlost, where they seem to be stuck spending the rest of their existence.
The concept intrigued me from the get-go. Kids coping with death in a magical place.... Sounds interesting, and the thing is, the execution was great. I was a bit apprehensive during the first few pages; the beginning struck me as bizarre and disjoined, but once I started going, I couldn't stop. The setting was unique, the rules comprising it intriguing, and the way the plot moved forward kept me wishing to know what exactly was going to happen next. I can't say that it kept me on my toes, but it was definitely not boring.
So, as far as plot goes, I felt this book hit the mark pretty straight on.

Now for the less favorable things:

The writing style. I did not feel anything for it, really. It was just there, not beautiful or unique or anything, but that was okay. The thing that really bothered me was how un-subtle it was. It felt a bit juvenile at times, and at others simply stated the facts, throwing them in the reader's face. To say the least, I did not much care for that.

And as for the most atrocious thing about this book, that which prevented me from giving it more than 4 stars: The characters.
Oh my god, I hated - hated! - Mary Hightower. She was the most annoying, patronizing, goodie-goodie flat character in existence. And the romance she shared with Nick was a joke. It was the worst case of insta-love I have encountered in a long time. So disgusting, undeveloped, unbelievable. And it also kind of made me dislike Nick; it felt like there was no depth to him, eventhough I was kinda prepared to like him. I will admit, though, that I sorta liked the twist on their relationship toward the end....

Thankfully, there was also Allie, whom I liked the most out of the entire cast of characters. And her - maybe - budding relationship with **** was interesting, and still has potential, so here's me crossing my fingers, but I'm not expecting too much. The thing about Neal Shusterman's characterization, like in his writing, is that he's not subtle at all, he just comes out and says it, and the reader is left to buy into or not. Not the best method, and it kind of subtracted a lot from what sadly could have been a very entertaining read... ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Two cars collide and Nick and Allie don't survive. As they are moving toward the light their bodies collide sending them in to Everlost, somewhere between Earth and... The book is very thought provoking. Shusterman added some pretty intricate details as you learn about the dead spots, objects that cross over such as the Twin Towers which is where Mary house her gangs of children. Then there are the fortune cookies. That part was a bit amusing at times. The items that cross over are some times very ancient such as the old type writer that Allie uses to type the fortunes for the cookies. And as with all good trilogies, The first Skinjacker book, Everlost, leads you right into the next one.
Shusterman is becoming one of my favorite authors.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
One of my favorite books of all time. This is one of the first Neal Shusterman books I ever read, and thus has a special place in my heart. And yet it's taken me years to come back and revisit it (and I never even finished the series because it was a single novel when I first read it).

I really like how none of the characters are exactly likeable. I would say Nick is the only character I really actually like, and maybe the McGill a little just because I like heroic villains. But Allie's a know-it-all meanie pants, Lief is an annoying little twit, and Mary is a manipulative sky witch.

It's also great how you slowly learn more and more about Everlost. You learn along with Allie and Nick, and even then you're not entirely sure what's true and what's not.

Lastly, there's some pleasant retelling aspects that may or may not have been intentional. There's Peter Pan, with Allie even calling herself Wendy, not to mention Everland vs. Everlost. I suppose you could even consider Mary to be Peter Pan, what with her dressed in green and determined to keep everyone exactly as they are in Everlost. And then of course there's some Beauty and the Beast action with the McGill and Allie.

Overall I just love this book. Can't wait to finally finish the Skinjacker series. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 13, 2016 |
Book was great!!! I loved it!!! Skin jacking and all the other things in the book literally had me holding my breath. Suprising ending had me "woWed"! But, like stated before, it isnt as political as unwind. This book is soooooo worth reading!!!!!
added by viorianearth | editMyself, Jordan Arrington (Dec 14, 2009)

For my aunt, Mildred Altman, who taught me a love of boooks and reading.
On a hairpin turn, above the dead forest, on no day in particular, a white Toyota crashed into a black Mercedes, for a moment blending into a blur of gray.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689872380, Mass Market Paperback)

IT BEGINS WITH AN ACCIDENT.

Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now their souls are stuck halfway between life and death in a sort of limbo called Everlost. It's a magical yet dangerous place, where bands of lost souls run wild and anyone who stands in the same spot too long sinks to the center of the Earth.

Frightened and determined, Nick and Allie aren't ready to rest in peace just yet. They want their lives back, and their search for a way home will take them deep into the uncharted areas of Everlost. But the longer they stay, the more they forget about their pasts. And if all memory of home is lost, they may never escape this strange, terrible world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,437,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible