Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Everlost (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Neal Shusterman

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Everlost
Authors:Neal Shusterman
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2006), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:ya, death, teen, fantasy, library

Everlost by Neal Shusterman (2006)

What would happen if you died and were "heading toward the light", like in a long tunnel, and then someone jostled you? You were sent careening off course... and when you awakened you were in another place? This is the premise of Shusterman's beginning title of the Skinjacker trilogy, Everlost. What starts with just a few characters - first the lonely point of view of Lief, an Everlost resident who has hunkered down in a safe forest, then to Allison & Nick, two recent arrivals who aren't willing to succumb to an eternity in Everlost, then to Mary Hightower, sage and rescuer of children, even to the thoughts and intentions of the much feared McGill- the author deftly combines current places and events with the ghostly, otherworld place called Everlost to create a believable landscape. While I thought I'd be following these three children only, trapped in a quiet, strange alternate reality, I was pleasantly surprised to see the story pick up and take off in directions I didn't expect. A great read for both boys/girls, probably most intriguing to fantasy fans. Has some thoughtful insights about the bigger issues: passage of time, falling in love, how death and life coincide with each other. A little over 300 pages. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 9, 2014 |
(7.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I finally got around to reading this, after having read and liked a few other books by this author. This is an interesting fantasy book about kids who are stuck between death and moving on. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
It begins with two strangers, Nick and Allie, who die in a car wreck. They end up in Everlost, which is an alternative reality of the world we live in. They can still see everything that exists in the world, although it's changed some... and certain things that have passed over into Everlost now seem more real than the real world.

The entire story spends a great deal explaining everything, which makes sense since we (the readers) are entering and discovering this new world and new way of being WITH Nick and Allie. I won't summarize the story here, because that seems pointless, but I will give my thoughts on it.

I love how creative Shusterman is with his books. Although some elements of the book seemed more childish, the overall story and the details make up for it. I loved the quoted readings from Mary and Allie's books throughout the story. I enjoyed and appreciated the variety in the story... pirate ships, the Hindenberg, the Twin Towers, Roswell, New Mexico... all incorporated into the story.

One aspect that I kept stumbling on was the names. They are important to the story, as over time the kids would forget their names and instead their nicknames would stick... and the nicknames usually reflected on their appearance (Pinhead, Speedo, Lief, Hershey). However, it seems odd that one would forget their own name (and rather quickly it seemed) yet remember everyone else's names (or nicknames). It also seems odd that some characters (Leaf) had forgotten pretty much everything about their life when they had been alive, yet others can recall how they died, etc. The varying levels of memory was not very consistent.

Also, going along with the memory aspect, sometimes people forgot what they looked like and their appearance would begin to change as well. McGill (a villain in the story) has literally become a monster and WANTS to appear that way... he had forgotten what he looked like. It's only when someone is shown a picture or reminded of how they look (or SHOULD look) that they alter their appearance back.

Overall, I really liked the creativity of the story, and the pacing. I'm looking forward to the next one. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |

recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Book was great!!! I loved it!!! Skin jacking and all the other things in the book literally had me holding my breath. Suprising ending had me "woWed"! But, like stated before, it isnt as political as unwind. This book is soooooo worth reading!!!!!
added by viorianearth | editMyself, Jordan Arrington (Dec 14, 2009)

For my aunt, Mildred Altman, who taught me a love of boooks and reading.
On a hairpin turn, above the dead forest, on no day in particular, a white Toyota crashed into a black Mercedes, for a moment blending into a blur of gray.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689872380, Mass Market Paperback)

IT BEGINS WITH AN ACCIDENT.

Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now their souls are stuck halfway between life and death in a sort of limbo called Everlost. It's a magical yet dangerous place, where bands of lost souls run wild and anyone who stands in the same spot too long sinks to the center of the Earth.

Frightened and determined, Nick and Allie aren't ready to rest in peace just yet. They want their lives back, and their search for a way home will take them deep into the uncharted areas of Everlost. But the longer they stay, the more they forget about their pasts. And if all memory of home is lost, they may never escape this strange, terrible world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:19 -0400)

When Nick and Allie are killed in a car crash, they end up in Everlost, or limbo for lost souls, where, although Nick is satisfied, Allie will stop at nothing--even skinjacking--to break free.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,991,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible