Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Everlost (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Neal Shusterman

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Everlost
Authors:Neal Shusterman
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2006), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:ya, death, teen, fantasy, library

Everlost by Neal Shusterman (2006)

Nick and Allie are, separately, on their way somewhere with their families when there's an accident. Suddenly they find themselves falling through a tunnel towards a bright light. Only they trip over each other and never quite make it to that light.

Instead, they end up in Everlost. Everlost, the desaturated world that's not living but not quite finished/all the way to dead either is a place of all new rules, people and ideas. If you don't do things right you could disappear into nothingness....or you could get caught up by the Everlost monster, the McGill--or something even worse as Allie and Nick find out later.

When they first land in Everlost they're in a forest with Lief a boy who died years and years ago. The only reason they can stay in the forest and touch everything is because the forest is dead as well and has past into Everlost, too--as certain very loved things do. But Allie wants to go home-even if it's against the rules-and soon they set out on an adventure like they've never experienced before.

Like a lot of my reviews' summaries I'm leaving out a good bit of the book (but only because I think that you don't need to know stuff that doesn't even hint at happening until 1/5 of the way in...and beyond. But if you're not as picky as me about spoliers: Amazon summary).

I read Everlost because I enjoyed Unwind so much and wanted to see what else Neal Shusterman had to offer. This book isn't as thought provoking as Unwind but that's most likely a given due to the subject matter of the two books. There is more to it than most sci-fi-ish books because it deals with kids (only kids/young teens enter Everlost) and death and what happens with different ones and how they deal with it.

In regards to the characters, I thought there were a lot of similarities between Nick, Allie and Lief and Connor, Risa, and Lev (even, kind of, look at the names?). It wasn't that they were carbon copies of each other, I just saw something in them that reminded me of the characters from Unwind. It was most true with Lief & Lev, probably.

I really liked the different elements of history that were pulled into the book and which items crossed into Everlost. That and that Everlost was as well developed as it was--both the world and the book. It wasn't just a not-exactly-purgatory with muted colors for children and tweens; it was truly well thought out and a world of its own that existed within the actual world and yet outside of it at the same time.

There's going to be a sequel to this book and I think that's great because I think there's a lot more to explore with both the characters and the subject-though I do think this book was resolved nicely, too.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I have read other books by Neal Shusterman before and I noticed a big difference in his writing style in this book. At least, it seemed that way to me. While I believe that this book is categorized as a young adult book, it read like a middle grade book. Despite that, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a fast read, and that probably had a lot to do with the simplicity in the writing. The story in and of itself was very original in my opinion. I don’t think that I have ever read anything quite like this before.

This story is about a girl named Allie and a boy named Nick who are unfortunately in a car accident that takes both of their lives. They end up in a type of “limbo” known as Everlost. We follow both of these characters on their journeys: Allie’s, to find her family. Nick’s journey takes an interesting turn that I will not mention due to spoilers. I found both of these characters to be very heartwarming and I grew to absolutely love them throughout the book. Other characters that were introduced in the book, especially Lief, became some of my favorite characters because of their amazing uniqueness.

I think that this book is intended for a much younger audience, but I still found it be a very enjoyable, fast paced read. If you like middle grade books, no matter your age, I highly recommend this book. I do plan to continue on with the trilogy so that I can follow the stories of the characters that I grew to love so much in this book. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
This was a very interesting book. I feel that I can count on that from Shusterman anytime I pick up a new series from him. Like Brandon Sanderson, Shusterman has created incredible unique stories and ideas over and over again. This one has a definite "young adult" feel to it so it might not appeal to some readers but I listened to it while driving a long stretch and enjoyed it immensely as it kept me engaged and interested so that I barely felt the hours and hours I was driving. The characters aren't you're typical heroes but they are interesting enough teenagers dealing with a unique situation. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 20, 2015 |
What would happen if you died and were "heading toward the light", like in a long tunnel, and then someone jostled you? You were sent careening off course... and when you awakened you were in another place? This is the premise of Shusterman's beginning title of the Skinjacker trilogy, Everlost. What starts with just a few characters - first the lonely point of view of Lief, an Everlost resident who has hunkered down in a safe forest, then to Allison & Nick, two recent arrivals who aren't willing to succumb to an eternity in Everlost, then to Mary Hightower, sage and rescuer of children, even to the thoughts and intentions of the much feared McGill- the author deftly combines current places and events with the ghostly, otherworld place called Everlost to create a believable landscape. While I thought I'd be following these three children only, trapped in a quiet, strange alternate reality, I was pleasantly surprised to see the story pick up and take off in directions I didn't expect. A great read for both boys/girls, probably most intriguing to fantasy fans. Has some thoughtful insights about the bigger issues: passage of time, falling in love, how death and life coincide with each other. A little over 300 pages. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 9, 2014 |
(7.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Book was great!!! I loved it!!! Skin jacking and all the other things in the book literally had me holding my breath. Suprising ending had me "woWed"! But, like stated before, it isnt as political as unwind. This book is soooooo worth reading!!!!!
added by viorianearth | editMyself, Jordan Arrington (Dec 14, 2009)

For my aunt, Mildred Altman, who taught me a love of boooks and reading.
On a hairpin turn, above the dead forest, on no day in particular, a white Toyota crashed into a black Mercedes, for a moment blending into a blur of gray.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689872380, Mass Market Paperback)

IT BEGINS WITH AN ACCIDENT.

Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now their souls are stuck halfway between life and death in a sort of limbo called Everlost. It's a magical yet dangerous place, where bands of lost souls run wild and anyone who stands in the same spot too long sinks to the center of the Earth.

Frightened and determined, Nick and Allie aren't ready to rest in peace just yet. They want their lives back, and their search for a way home will take them deep into the uncharted areas of Everlost. But the longer they stay, the more they forget about their pasts. And if all memory of home is lost, they may never escape this strange, terrible world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

When Nick and Allie are killed in a car crash, they end up in Everlost, or limbo for lost souls, where, although Nick is satisfied, Allie will stop at nothing--even skinjacking--to break free.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,960,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible