Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Everlost (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Neal Shusterman

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Everlost
Authors:Neal Shusterman
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2006), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:ya, death, teen, fantasy, library

Everlost by Neal Shusterman (2006)

An interesting view of what happens if you don't "make it to where you were going." I thought the World Trade Center references were good, especially since I was reading this on 9/11 and it was already on my brain. Will definitely look for the others in the trilogy. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book is really good, but it is not as good as his other books. The story's plot has a unique and creative idea. The characters are very well developed. This book is perfect for young teenagers. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Two teens die in a car crash and are headed toward the bright light when they bump into each other and spin off course... into an afterlife that they never expected. Everlost is a place that contains all the objects that have somehow "died" in our world and no longer exist, but which have such memories or love tied to them that they can't entirely not exist. In this land, several children and teens find themselves when their souls go off course, and Allie and Nick are both determined to find their way out to whatever place they were meant to be.

After reading and loving the Unwind series and seeing the author speak at a local middle school, just about all of his books made it onto my to be read list. Everlost suffers a little for being the second series I tried: it's a little bit younger and doesn't have the thematic depth of Unwind. I could guess some twists without trying too hard. But it's a really creative concept, as you never know exactly what's going to turn up in Everlost as Allie and Nick continue to explore it. I ate up this fast-paced, creepy book in two days (in the middle of the work week, no less), and I have the sequel ready to go soon. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 17, 2014 |
I loved this book. It was such a unique story, I haven’t read anything quite like this before.

Nick and Allie are killed instantly in a car crash and while heading down that tunnel toward the light, something happens and they find themselves waking up 9 months later in a beautiful lush forest near where the crash happened. It takes them a while to realize what must have happened, and discover they are not alone in this forest. There is a strange boy who has forgotten his name who they rechristen Leaf. Leaf has apparently been in this forest for many many years alone but has odd tales of other children who pass through from time to time and a monster named the McGill. As they set out to get some of their questions answered and to explore the world they now find themselves a part of, they discover that while only children populate this strange afterlife, there are still some very real dangers, even to those who can’t die.

I thoroughly enjoyed following the adventures of Nick and Allie as they explored Everlost, meeting many unusual and memorable characters along the way. This book was so entertaining and engaging that I read the entire thing in one night. I was up pretty late but couldn’t put it down until I got to the end, and while it didn’t exactly end on a cliffhanger, I am certainly glad I have the next book in the series so that I can continue enjoying their adventures. I found it so easy to lose myself in this world. No flowery prose or overly wordy descriptions, just a straightforward, quickly moving plot with plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing. There are so many things and places to discover in Everlost and Neal Shusterman does an amazing job of showing this world in a way that kept me engaged in the story at the same time.

Rating 5 – I loved it and cannot wait to jump right into the next!
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |
Everlost showed up in my mail last week with a note saying to expect the second book in anticipation for Everfound coming out on May 3rd! I have heard a lot about this series and had previously purchased a different Shusterman book Unwind but hadn’t taken the time to read.

Shusterman’s writing style is reminiscent of Gaiman and Bray but wholly his own unique thing. The Everlost is a continually interesting place. Learning how the universe works in this first book is an experience unto itself. Mary Hightower also known as Mary Queen of Snots books are referenced at the beginning of each chapter and you dig a bit deeper into the world and how the Afterlight’s survive day to day.

Nick and Allie are unusual counterparts and their differences of opinion make their partnership even more interesting to the reader. The monsters and finders and other Afterlight children make the experience of the book amazing to read.

If you haven’t picked up this trilogy and have been inclined to do so; there is no time like the present! You will fall in love with this world and the children populating it. There are mysteries to be solved and not of the stale whodunit style. There is so much to appreciate about in the smaller side stories and subtle nuances of Everlost.

I can’t wait to read Everwild! I think I will read Unwind while I wait for book two to come! ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Book was great!!! I loved it!!! Skin jacking and all the other things in the book literally had me holding my breath. Suprising ending had me "woWed"! But, like stated before, it isnt as political as unwind. This book is soooooo worth reading!!!!!
added by viorianearth | editMyself, Jordan Arrington (Dec 14, 2009)

For my aunt, Mildred Altman, who taught me a love of boooks and reading.
On a hairpin turn, above the dead forest, on no day in particular, a white Toyota crashed into a black Mercedes, for a moment blending into a blur of gray.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689872380, Mass Market Paperback)

IT BEGINS WITH AN ACCIDENT.

Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now their souls are stuck halfway between life and death in a sort of limbo called Everlost. It's a magical yet dangerous place, where bands of lost souls run wild and anyone who stands in the same spot too long sinks to the center of the Earth.

Frightened and determined, Nick and Allie aren't ready to rest in peace just yet. They want their lives back, and their search for a way home will take them deep into the uncharted areas of Everlost. But the longer they stay, the more they forget about their pasts. And if all memory of home is lost, they may never escape this strange, terrible world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:19 -0400)

When Nick and Allie are killed in a car crash, they end up in Everlost, or limbo for lost souls, where, although Nick is satisfied, Allie will stop at nothing--even skinjacking--to break free.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible