After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

After the Golden Age (edition 2012)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:nfpr2boziis
Title:After the Golden Age
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Fantasy (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Soon I Will Be Invincible is the same concept, with a lot of attention on the supervillain.
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Very similar in concept. After the Golden Age is more realistic/not so over-the-top.
    Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep (wisemetis)
    wisemetis: Both are superhero books told from the POV of someone who is powerless.
    The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson (bluepolicebox)

Felt in the mood for something superhero themed, and this came up as a recommendation.

Very solid writing. Plot and characterization is done pretty darn well.
I'm still of the opinion that it doesn't bring that much newness to the superhero genre, but I still really enjoyed it. In fact, this story is pretty much a parody on the superhero theme. You can see the parallels of "real" superheroes with Superman, Batman (Hawk), and other little details. It's quite fun to pick out references.

The family dynamics fantastically written. I can imagine Suzanne trying to be the mediator and the two stubborn ones just feeling angry and defensive over nothing. I absolutely love how Daddy Olympus goes berserk over her boyfriends. It's really adorable. And the little details of Suzanne cooking with her hands or descriptions of the house really makes this book go beyond the cliche.

I do wonder, though, what would happen if there were a superhero for technology. Celia would probably lose her niche as an accountant.

I am a little ambivalent on the romance. I don't mind Celia and Arthur getting together, but it's a little odd the way the author switches back and forth from Dr Mentis to Arthur and back again when Celia refers to him. It makes me either think of him as a lot older or her age, depending on the name. And honestly, he feels wayyy older than her.

Plot was fairly predictable. Bad guy tries to take over the city, he fails, etc.

There is one moment in the book that I was actually shocked for a few moments. I could not believe that the author would let Captain Olympus die . But I am glad it happened because it changed a lot of things, especially perspective.

I thought the ending was too rushed, the snipbits of epilogue. But what can you do?

Overall, a very solid read if you want to read about superheroes.
3 stars. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This was a surprisingly fun read. Slow to start but picks up midway and finishes with a flourish. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
I only read this book because I thought the second book sounded very interesting and more young-adult. But of course I can't start a series anywhere but the beginning! Slow to start and almost gave up. The action started picking up in the second half and was actually pretty entertaining. Good character development. ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 15, 2014 |
Weird, compelling, depressing, emotional...not a good intro to Carrie Vaughn's talents. While the writing is exceptional, the book is just so...odd. I have this residual feeling that I read a comic book with no illustrations. The story feels disjointed - like episodes in multiple comic books - and cohesive all at once - like a tightly designed and written novel. Then again, maybe this IS a good intro to Ms. Vaughn's talent...I can't think of any other author that could write this book and I would have kept reading just to know the ending without peeking. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I'm on a bit of a superheroes kick since The Avengers came out and reminded me of a childhood spent breathlessly waiting for the next episode of Batman, or Spiderman, or Superman. These days I'm more of a Marvel fan -- is it, uh, legal to admit that I watched the first ten minutes of Batman Begins and got bored? -- but anyway, the point is, superheroes! And Carrie Vaughan's After the Golden Age catered to that wonderfully.

I think the premise at its most basic isn't really anything new: the child of two superheroes, who is powerless, rebels and gradually finds her own place in the world. I liked that she was an accountant. I liked that she got tired and frustrated and did things wrong, and that she second guessed her own motives.

Best I liked the romance. It didn't turn out how I was expecting, and it was a pleasant surprise. It was well built up and brought together.

Overall, the prose wasn't stunning but the pacing was good, and the moments of shock and pain reach through to the reader perfectly. It's a quick read, and also the kind of read where you aren't conscious of the time that does pass -- in my experience, anyway. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
To Max,
who introduced me to the Silver and Golden Ages,
and who always shares his comics
Celia took the late bus home, riding along with other young workaholic professionals, the odd student, and late-shift retail clerks.

Forensic accountant Celia West is the powerless and estranged daughter of two of Commerce City's great heroes, Captain Olympus and Spark. When the city prosecutes the evil Destructor for tax evasion, Celia gets pulled in to track down evidence. As a new crime spree creates tension between the city's heroes and the police force, Celia's investigation uncovers long-buried secrets about her family and the city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,344,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible