After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

After the Golden Age (edition 2012)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:nfpr2boziis
Title:After the Golden Age
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Fantasy (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Soon I Will Be Invincible is the same concept, with a lot of attention on the supervillain.
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Very similar in concept. After the Golden Age is more realistic/not so over-the-top.
    Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep (wisemetis)
    wisemetis: Both are superhero books told from the POV of someone who is powerless.
    The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson (bluepolicebox)

This was a surprisingly fun read. Slow to start but picks up midway and finishes with a flourish. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
I only read this book because I thought the second book sounded very interesting and more young-adult. But of course I can't start a series anywhere but the beginning! Slow to start and almost gave up. The action started picking up in the second half and was actually pretty entertaining. Good character development. ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 15, 2014 |
Weird, compelling, depressing, emotional...not a good intro to Carrie Vaughn's talents. While the writing is exceptional, the book is just so...odd. I have this residual feeling that I read a comic book with no illustrations. The story feels disjointed - like episodes in multiple comic books - and cohesive all at once - like a tightly designed and written novel. Then again, maybe this IS a good intro to Ms. Vaughn's talent...I can't think of any other author that could write this book and I would have kept reading just to know the ending without peeking. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I'm on a bit of a superheroes kick since The Avengers came out and reminded me of a childhood spent breathlessly waiting for the next episode of Batman, or Spiderman, or Superman. These days I'm more of a Marvel fan -- is it, uh, legal to admit that I watched the first ten minutes of Batman Begins and got bored? -- but anyway, the point is, superheroes! And Carrie Vaughan's After the Golden Age catered to that wonderfully.

I think the premise at its most basic isn't really anything new: the child of two superheroes, who is powerless, rebels and gradually finds her own place in the world. I liked that she was an accountant. I liked that she got tired and frustrated and did things wrong, and that she second guessed her own motives.

Best I liked the romance. It didn't turn out how I was expecting, and it was a pleasant surprise. It was well built up and brought together.

Overall, the prose wasn't stunning but the pacing was good, and the moments of shock and pain reach through to the reader perfectly. It's a quick read, and also the kind of read where you aren't conscious of the time that does pass -- in my experience, anyway. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Recently, I discovered Carrie Vaughn via a dystopian anthology and then I read her new teen novel, Steel. Her YA effort was okay, but not stellar. At first, I thought After the Golden Age would be the same, as it had a slow beginning, but as I hit the midway point, it really took off (pardon the superhero-y pun).

Celia starts out as a somewhat annoying heroine. She is 25, but retains her teenage mistrust and irritation with her parents, because growing up with superheroes for parents is not as magical as everyone else thinks it should be. She doesn't really trust anyone actually. Her saving grace is that, although she is a continual victim of supervillain wannabes, she does not act like a victim (well, except when her family's considered). As the story goes on, Celia's able to deal with many of her demons, which allows her to accentuate the positive elements of her personality and someone I liked much more.

The romance was well done. I was somewhat worried that I was shipping the wrong person, but I was not, so yay! There's nothing worse than when you believe someone else is perfect for her, but the main character determinedly goes for the lame, stupid, obvious one. I definitely shipped her with the guy, right from the beginning and through to the end.

After the Golden Age reminded me most strongly of the Astro City graphic novel series, with the portrayal of both superheroes, ordinary folk and those who know who the masked heroes are and have to deal with that. For anyone who likes reading about superheroes, After the Golden Age is definitely worth checking out. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
To Max,
who introduced me to the Silver and Golden Ages,
and who always shares his comics
Celia took the late bus home, riding along with other young workaholic professionals, the odd student, and late-shift retail clerks.

Forensic accountant Celia West is the powerless and estranged daughter of two of Commerce City's great heroes, Captain Olympus and Spark. When the city prosecutes the evil Destructor for tax evasion, Celia gets pulled in to track down evidence. As a new crime spree creates tension between the city's heroes and the police force, Celia's investigation uncovers long-buried secrets about her family and the city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible