After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

After the Golden Age (edition 2012)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:nfpr2boziis
Title:After the Golden Age
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Fantasy (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Soon I Will Be Invincible: A Novel by Austin Grossman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Soon I Will Be Invincible is the same concept, with a lot of attention on the supervillain.
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Very similar in concept. After the Golden Age is more realistic/not so over-the-top.
    Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep (wisemetis)
    wisemetis: Both are superhero books told from the POV of someone who is powerless.
    Superhero Universe: Tesseracts Nineteen by Claude Lalumière (paigeedd)

Excellently done. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |
I've read many prose books about superheroes, some using comic book characters and others using characters created for the books, and I've enjoyed them, so when I saw this paperback sitting on a display table at Barnes & Noble, I had to give it a try. The cover remains one of the best things about this book. The other is that it wasn't bad enough to stop reading. If it had been, I would've given it one star instead of two.

There's a good story in here, about a young woman who is the non-powered daughter of two superheroes. She's estranged from her parents and trying to forge her own identity as an accountant, while trying to put her past behind her, a past that includes a youthful rebellion that had her joining her parents' arch nemesis for a brief time while she was in her teens. But when she's asked by the firm she works for to dig up financial information on that arch nemesis who is now on trial for sundry schemes, that past comes roaring back.

On one level, this is a standard "superheroes are people, too" story. On another level, this is a "life sucks to be me" story, with a protagonist who gets kidnapped, a lot, as a way to get to her parents. The book started off promisingly enough with just such a kidnapping, but too soon, hackneyed writing, questionable grammar, and an annoying tendency by the author to follow a "telling" sentence with a "showing" sentence when only the latter was needed, turned this interesting story into a tedious read. The characters were okay, and I was curious to see how things would turn out, and that led to another odd aspect of the book: an in-story epilogue with a jump ahead to tell us what happened to the main characters a couple of years later, which seemed rushed and superfluous and tacked on, unless the purpose was to forestall any question about a sequel, or perhaps, to push any possible sequel far into the future. At times, I felt this was intended as a YA book, but the main character is in her 20s and to be honest, it was hard to tell what age level this was written for. I just wish it had been better written. My imaginary red pen was poised to mark up the text and I could easily have cut 20-30 pages worth of unnecessary sentences. It's a shame, because I really wanted to love this. ( )
  ShellyS | Dec 11, 2016 |
I love superheroes. I’ve always been a fan of superhero comics, and I always jump on these original superhero novels when I see them. Yes, this is sort of subgenre now, as prior to this I’ve read Hero by Perry Moore, Soon I Will be Invincible by Austin Grossman and Vindico by Wesley King. Carrie Vaughn’s After the Golden Age does not disappoint. This is a very interesting look at what happens when the child of a famous, publicly known, superhero couple grows up without powers and must try to forge her own identity amidst public scrutiny and a disappointed family.

Celia West is the adult daughter of the invulnerable Captain Olympus (think Superman) and fire starter Spark. She grew up knowing their secret identities and having to live with the fact that she didn’t have powers and could never join them or take over their heroic legacy. Add to this her dad, Captain Olympus, is kind of a giant jackass who makes his disappointment rather plain. Celia has a long track record of being kidnapped by various supervillains, especially her parents’ arch nemesis, the Destructor. And there was a dark, painful moment in her angsty teen years when she actually tried to join the evil Destructor. She was only seventeen at the time and the record was sealed by the courts as she was underage and declared to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. However, her father seems to have never forgiven her and when a new trial against the Destructor drags her past out into the open again for public scrutiny, Celia loses her job as a forensic accountant and her best friend, and her boyfriend. The only one she has on her side is Arthur Mentis, a nonjudgemental British telepath who dresses like the tenth Doctor in a trench coat over a tailored suit (and yes I pictured David Tennant the entire time I was reading. *g*)

As the plot picks up, it turns out there is a larger conspiracy against the superheroes going on, which seems to tie to the mayor’s office. Celia has no powers, but she is a skilled investigator since her job as an accountant has taught her what details to look for and how to uncover data most others overlook. Since I work as a bookkeeper this was particularly amusing to me. I thought this novel was a lot of fun and a very satisfying read. I’m a little surprised there’s a sequel, since it seemed so perfectly wrapped up at the end, but I will definitely keep an eye out for it - and any more titles I can find from Carrie Vaughn. ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 3, 2016 |
Excellent standalone novel ( )
  acf151 | Jun 18, 2016 |
Never mind the blurb - Discord's Apple was surprisingly good and this may be, too.
----------------------------------
Guilty pleasure fun. ?Lighter than Discord's Apple (by the same author) and much lighter than Kavalier and Clay (Chabon's homage to superheroes).
Unlike another reviewer, I do not feel the need for a sequel. ?á(On the other hand, I'm not a fan of mysteries, thrillers, or superheroes.)
Lots of stuff here made little sense, but it was still engaging and refreshingly original, imo.
I do have the author's Dreams of the Golden Age on deck. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Vaughn, Carrieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, ColinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Max,
who introduced me to the Silver and Golden Ages,
and who always shares his comics
Celia took the late bus home, riding along with other young workaholic professionals, the odd student, and late-shift retail clerks.

Forensic accountant Celia West is the powerless and estranged daughter of two of Commerce City's great heroes, Captain Olympus and Spark. When the city prosecutes the evil Destructor for tax evasion, Celia gets pulled in to track down evidence. As a new crime spree creates tension between the city's heroes and the police force, Celia's investigation uncovers long-buried secrets about her family and the city.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible