After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

After the Golden Age (edition 2012)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:nfpr2boziis
Title:After the Golden Age
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Fantasy (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Soon I Will Be Invincible is the same concept, with a lot of attention on the supervillain.
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Very similar in concept. After the Golden Age is more realistic/not so over-the-top.
    Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep (wisemetis)
    wisemetis: Both are superhero books told from the POV of someone who is powerless.
    Superhero Universe: Tesseracts Nineteen by Claude Lalumière (paigeedd)

Excellent standalone novel ( )
  acf151 | Jun 18, 2016 |
Never mind the blurb - Discord's Apple was surprisingly good and this may be, too.
----------------------------------
Guilty pleasure fun. ?Lighter than Discord's Apple (by the same author) and much lighter than Kavalier and Clay (Chabon's homage to superheroes).
Unlike another reviewer, I do not feel the need for a sequel. ?á(On the other hand, I'm not a fan of mysteries, thrillers, or superheroes.)
Lots of stuff here made little sense, but it was still engaging and refreshingly original, imo.
I do have the author's Dreams of the Golden Age on deck. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The daughter of the world's greatest superheroes has no superpowers, and just wants to be left alone to have a nice, normal life as an accountant. But then she's kidnapped yet again, and then her parents' arch-nemesis is put on trial for tax evasion--and she's called as a star witness.

Modern stories about superheroes usually go one of two routes: as grim and depressing as they can get (ex: Watchmen, anything by Frank Miller...) or wry and ironic, like the genre is a joke and they're above it. Rarely, a book manages to do neither, but still manages to feel realistic and current. This is one of those books. The characters have believably complicated emotional lives and motivations, even while there are dastardly plans and superpowers all around. The end is a little weak, but overall I really enjoyed this. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I trudged my way through the first half. I just couldn't get into her story, see can't even remember her name. I cheated and read the end and tried to go back. Nope, couldn't get into it. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Celia West is the daughter of Captain Olympiad and Spark, Commerce City's two greatest superheroes. Unfortunately she has no powers and is totally normal, unless you count her ability to remain calm in the face of constant kidnapping. Now her parents greatest foe The Destructor is on trial and she is the forensic accountant assigned to find his assets. Her relationship with her parents has always been strained AT BEST, the events that follow can bring them together or take them apart.

As soon as I saw the cover of this book I knew it was for me. I recently discovered a love for Carrie Vaughn and I've always adored old school comics. This dealt with the realities of being related to a super hero and how it can hurt the family dynamic. Celia's pain was often palpable and it was impressive how she pulled herself out of her own drama and grew into a strong woman.

I do admit that the mystery was easy to solve. I knew who was committing the crimes, but the impetus behind it and how it related to the trial and to the past was very unexpected (I'm hoping this is vague enough not to give anything away.) I was so excited at how everything tied together at the end.

***Spoiler***
There was one thing that kind of bugged me. Sometimes it seemed like Celia was developing powers and other times it seemed like she was picking up Dr. Mentis' powers. I think you're supposed to infer that her power is more of a mental one but I'm just not sure and it was driving me insane. I want it confirmed!
***End Spoiler***

I loved who Celia ended up with. I did see it coming but not in a "of course that's going to happen kind of way" more in the "I hope that happens kind of way." They were prefect for each other. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
To Max,
who introduced me to the Silver and Golden Ages,
and who always shares his comics
Celia took the late bus home, riding along with other young workaholic professionals, the odd student, and late-shift retail clerks.

Forensic accountant Celia West is the powerless and estranged daughter of two of Commerce City's great heroes, Captain Olympus and Spark. When the city prosecutes the evil Destructor for tax evasion, Celia gets pulled in to track down evidence. As a new crime spree creates tension between the city's heroes and the police force, Celia's investigation uncovers long-buried secrets about her family and the city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,714,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible