The Sands of Time by Sidney Sheldon

The Sands of Time (1988)

by Sidney Sheldon, SHELDON LITERARY TRUST

A nice easy read.

Interesting sub-plots.
Kept me interested through the story.

Decided on a 3 when it came to between 3 and 4.

maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |
Spain - a land of eternal passion and unceasing bloodshed. Fleeing the vengeance of a pitiless tyrant, four nuns find themselves suddenly thrust into a hostile world which they had long ago abandoned for the safety of the convent. Unwittingly, they become pawns in a battle between the charismatic Jaime Miró, leader of the outlawed Basque nationalists, and the ruthless Colonel Ramón Acoca of the Spanish Army.

Lucia - the fiery Sicilian beauty who harbors a murderous secret; she wins the heart of Rubio Arzano, a freedom fighter who risks his life to save her.

Graciella - whose guilt over one reckless, youthful sin continues to haunt her, even now; Ricardo is the courageous man who loves her.

Megan - the orphan seeking perilous refuge in the arms of a defiant Basque rebel; Jaime Miró, himself.

Teresa - the believer haunted by a faith that seemingly mocks her with silence; whose own guilty conscience may lead her to commit an unforgivable act.

Four women - and the men they are forbidden to love. Leaving innocence but not hope behind, they venture into an alien, dazzling world, where each will encounter an unexpected destiny - and the truth about herself.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read for me, and learning about the pasts of each of the women was certainly intriguing. I give this book a definite A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Oct 2, 2013 |
The book is set in Spain and centres around four nuns and their unwitting involvement with outlawed Basque nationalists and the Spanish Army.

The fact I read this very early in the morning as I was unable to sleep may have something to do with this review, but I found this book very lightweight in characterisation (it's not my first Sheldon book and I know he does it elsewhere too). There are 4 nuns who get split up after their convent is raided by the Spanish Army looking for some Eta terrorists. They go on the run with the ETA bods, and all but one of the women fall in love with the man that they are with and each have to make a decision. However, there is little to differentiate one nun from the other, so it was difficult to keep track of who was doing what and what their motivation was.
  nordie | Jul 6, 2011 |
I enjoyed this, despite the ease with which a few of the nuns gave up their cause for more earthly desires. You get a little taste of the Basque guerilla movement, a little taste of romance, and a big taste of adventure. A fun read. ( )
  miyurose | Oct 27, 2010 |
This is set in the Basque rebellion in Spain. Four nuns are forced to flee their convent, each has interesting early lives and this escape changes the future lives of all of them as they go on the run with the charismatic Miro and his group of Basque nationalists - not knowing who to trust. I really enjoyed this book ( )
  Summermoonstone | Apr 30, 2010 |

Sidney Sheldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
TRUST, SHELDON LITERARYmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lives of great men all remind us/We can make our lives sublime,/And, departing, leave behind us/Footprints on the Sands of Time. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The dead do not need to rise. They are part of the earth now and the earth can never be conquered for the earth endures forever, it will outlive all systems of tyranny. Those who have entered it honourably, and no men entered earth more honourably than those who died in Spain, have already achieved immortality. - Ernest Hemingway
To Frances Gordon, with love.
If the plan goes wrong, we will all die.

The Sands of Time is the tale of four nuns who are abruptly forced to flee the secure environment of their Spanish convent and face a hostile world they long ago abandoned. Suddenly these four women find themselves pawns in a violent struggle between the outlawed Basque underground movement, led by the charismatic Jaime Miró, and the Spanish army, under the command of the vengeful Colonel Ramón Acoca, who is bent on destroying all of them.

Megan, the orphan, would give anything to learn the identity of her parents. She fights against her overpowering attraction to the legendary and idealistic Jaime Miró.

Lucia, the fiery Sicilian beauty, is wanted by the police, but risks her future and a fortune to save a dying revolutionary.

Even the serenity of the convent cannot wipe out Graciela's nightmares of the past. How can she again face a world of carnal love?

It is Teresa whose confused conscience finally drives her to seek help from Colonel Ramón Acoca, a terrible mistake that will betray her friends.

The Sands of Time is an unforgettable adventure, told against the backdrop of the fascinating countryside of Spain. It combines history, romance, and suspense with the unexpected. Taken from Barnes and Noble website.

Four nuns are forced to flee the security of their convent and are soon pawns in a struggle between the Basque underground and the Spanish army.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible