PULSE (PULSE, Book #1) by Kailin Gow

PULSE (PULSE, Book #1) (edition 2010)

by Kailin Gow

Series: Pulse (1)

Member:ConciseReviews
Title:PULSE (PULSE, Book #1)
Authors:Kailin Gow
Info:The EDGE (2010), Paperback, 220 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:vampires, paranormal romance

Pulse by Kailin Gow

1-move (1) dropped (1) ebook (1) fantasy (1) fiction (1) Gow (1) GR (1) K (1) Kindle (1) might-read-1-day (1) paranormal (2) paranormal romance (3) pulse (1) romance (1) to-read (4) vampires (6) YA (2) young adult (2)

I really enjoyed this book, it reminded me a bit of the Vampire Diaries, only in the way we have the 2 brothers that are vampires and both interested in a special girl. They do not always get along, one is more gentle and fights his nature, and wishes to be human, the other is loving it, and has no qualms with feeding from humans, (like Damon in Vampire Diaries, lol) anyway, that’s really were the similarities end. It has its own unique story to itself. It is interesting, has some twists that I did not really see coming, at all. And that huge cliffhanger has me scrounging to see if I can actually buy book 2, and know I will want all of them. I did not realize there is so many, book 8 will be out sometime this year (2013) but that’s ok, once I am able to buy them all, I should be able to just buy it as well.

This book will really get you hooked for sure, 2 hot boys and a strong heroine, and we have a great story.

Anyone who likes books like the early Vampire Diaries, or even the Sookie books (for those adults out there) will like this book. Give it a try. It’s an easy quick read.

5 out of 5 stars. Will leave you with a few favorite scenes below for you.

Here is part that I thought was pretty funny when Kalina first found out about vampires, and believed it.

Kalina remained paralyzed in her seat. “Oh, crap.Aaron was a vampire.” She straightened up. Remain calm, Kalina. Breathe. “You're not going to eat me, are you?”“No,” said Stuart. “Not all vampires feed on humans. I choose not to. I drink Vampire Wine.”“Vampire Wine.” Kalina put the pieces together. “Jaegar...I thought he was kidding...”“And Aaron drank Vampire Wine, too. To avoid succumbing to temptation. To avoid drinking blood whenever he got too...excited....”Kalina's eyes widened. “So you mean...”“Vampire Wine wasn't the problem, Kalina. It was the only solution.”

Here is another funny part

“And what if Aaron drank from the unwilling? If he killed men and women – what then?”“I don't know that he did.” Kalina turned to face him. They drove on. “It sounds like he stuck to Vampire Wine. Which is more than I can say for you.”“Listen,” said Jaegar. “You eat your steak. I’ll eat my humans. You don't need to get self-righteous with me. As far as I'm concerned – you're just food.”“I'm food that can talk. And in any case – you don't seem to make up your mind whether you want to sleep with me or have me for dinner.”“Both, really.”

See the book tour for lots more on this book. Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books.
http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com ( )
  ConciseReviews | Jan 8, 2013 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Kalina is grieving over the loss of her ex-boyfriend, Aaron. She broke up with him because he was an alcoholic and would not get help. He crashed his car and now he's gone. Little did she know that was as far from the truth as possible. The son of a vineyard owner, Aaron was actually a vampire. But Kalina doesn't learn about that until his step-brothers, Stuart and Jaegar, enter the picture.

Stuart is the new student at her school. It turns out that the two brothers have come to Rutherford to protect Kalina. Kalina is the key to breaking the curse of the vampire. Her blood is rumored to be Life's Blood...able to turn a vampire human or to dark evil, depending on if the blood is given in love or resistance.

Soon, vampires from all over are attempting to reach Kalina. Even Jaegar and Stuart's ancient leader, Octavius, has now shown an interest in Kalina.

When Stuart is kidnapped by Octavius, Kalina and Jaegar travel to rescue him. It's at this point that the story throws a curve ball at the reader, and of course ends with a cliffhanger. Don't you hate when that happens? Well, don't fear, the story is continued in book two, LIFE'S BLOOD.

I've wanted to read PULSE for a while now. I first saw it posted on GoodReads and was immediately entranced by the cover. What lies between the covers did not disappoint at all. A very fast-moving story, PULSE kept me on the edge of my seat until the final page.

The story should be reserved for the older teen, though, due to sexual references. There is nothing overtly sexual, but the references are there, so the story may not be appropriate for the younger audience. But other than that, the story entertained and has made me want to run out for the next installment. ( )
  GeniusJen | Jan 6, 2011 |
If you've followed TCBL for a while you know that I'm a big fan of Kailin's. I've reviewed three of her other books so far and I've always thoroughly enjoyed each one.

Pulse was no exception to that. Kailin's writing is as usual, fast paced and captivating to me. Pulse's story pulled me in and kept me entertained through the end. It was over before I knew it...which makes me sad.

Overall, it was a great book and a great start to a series in my opinion. I certainly look forward to reading more about Kalina (the main character) and the trio of brothers who make up this whirlwind story. ( )
  Cajunbooklady | Oct 18, 2010 |

17 year-old Kalina didn t know her boyfriend was a vampire until the night he died of a freak accident. She didn t know he came from a long line of vampires until the night she was visited by his half-brothers Jaegar and Stuart Greystone. There were a lot of secrets her boyfriend didn t tell her. Now she must discover them in order to keep alive. But having two half-brothers vampires around had just gotten interesting.… (more)

Kailin Gow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible