Switched by Amanda Hocking
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (heatherlove)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (amz310783)
    My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (CozyLover)
    CozyLover: If you liked the Trylle trilogy you're bound to like this one as well by the same author.
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (bookczuk)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)

English (256)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (259)
The Cover

4.5/5~I love the cover. The red with black, the red flowers the castle in the background. I even love the bottom half of her dress. I don't know what it is about the top half, it just doesn't do it for me.

The Book

Well, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't close the book, sigh, and slap the nearest thing to you good either. The characters are, well, like-able I guess. Some of them anyway. I'm not totally sure why I couldn't get into the book more than what I did. There was just something missing for me. Now, although the main character, Wendy was an okay main character, I have to say my Favorites were Tove and Rhys. Tove was the hero you would want to save your butt if you needed help. He would do what he needed to do without needing all the fan-fare..Just a simple Thank You would do. And Rhys was just funny and seemed to be just adorably cute if you were to see him in public. I don't want to give away too much about each character because that will tell too much about what roll each one plays. But for me, this book was just...Okay, it was cute..I'm glad I read it..but, I don't see myself going on to the next one in the series anytime soon...if at all...

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
A discount e-book if there ever was one.

Switched by Amanda Hocking

That doesn't mean this book is bad. It's fine. It's just not something I would want taking up valuable shelf space. I know I won't read it again, and I'm not terribly interested to discover what happens to the characters of the Trylle trilogy.

Wendy isn't quite right, but unfortunately the only other person who seems to agree with her is her institutionalized mother. She can will people to behave as she desires, she is a problematically picky eater, and she just can't seem to get along in class. Her sexy schoolmate with a staring problem, Finn, soon informs her that she is a changeling and it might be time to come home. Turns out she's a very important troll, and the rest of the novel is given over to a "Princess Diaries"-type storyline.

This book is clearly part of a trend in YA-literature to which Twilight and The Selection belong: female wish fulfillment that reads like fan-fiction. There are pretty dresses and multiple sexy boys, a bland heroine who somehow becomes central to a power struggle through no action of her own (well I guess America did fill out an application), and lavish homes in geographically isolated locations. All the sexy boys are interested in the bland heroine!

I had hope that Wendy would not be bland, because I was told of her wild nature and inability to attend a school without being expelled. The wildest thing she did in the whole novel was fall asleep on a couch watching a movie in an unsuitable boy's room. She tells the reader over and over that she's trouble, just like she tells the reader that Finn is sexy. She also tells the reader that she loves her "brother" Matt, but she's pretty quick to leave him behind without a word when Finn comes a-calling.

The characters are pretty flat across the board, but the take on Trolls is mildly interesting. There is a fair amount of action. If I were a particularly romantic thirteen-year-old-girl with a limited knowledge of literature I might have found this book engaging. As I am I found it to be a well-edited rehash of several stories I've read/seen before. Ranks above The Selection and below Twilight, but only because Twilight was published first. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I'm going to preface this review with another Trigger Warning for talk of domestic abuse and rape/apologia.

I thought that Paranormal Romance was a genre targeted at women. However from the sheer amount of misogyny I see in these books I'm beginning to think that it's far from that.

This book takes it about to the extreme as Ethereal does. The constant use of "bitch" to describe all sorts of women, cougar to desribe an older woman going after a younger man and slut shaming! Yay! Misogyny! Most people are going to say "These are just words!" However these people don't know the underlying power structure behind using these words against women.

Speaking of words we have "gypped" in there too. Yay racial slurs! (It comes from the word Gypsy.)

First we have a stalker relationship going on with Finn. I take it most teenage women today assume that stalking equals love. It's sad that these kinds of books want to reinforce that, rather than say "You know what, stalking it's not OK, it's illegal! If he loved me he wouldn't follow me and stare at me all the time or try and sneak into my bedroom!" Yes he does try to sneak up into her bedroom.

"“The desperation was coming off you in waves. You were all but begging to dance with me. I am doing you a favor.”
Hocking, Amanda (2010). Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1) (p. 33). Unknown. Kindle Edition. " -Finn

Yeah, I've seen this exact wording in RAPE APOLOGIA. "You were asking for it!", "You wanted it!", "Your body was begging for it!", "Your clothing said you wanted it!", etc. This is just SICK. It's shows an entire lack of respect for women.

Crazy, I could deal with. Slutty, not so much.
Hocking, Amanda (2010). Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1) (p. 46). Unknown. Kindle Edition. -Wendy
Yeah Ignoring the abelism going on here, let's just slut-shame while were at it. I mean it's not already hard enough that women get "reputations" for talking to the wrong guy and wearing the wrong thing. Now they can't express themselves sexually.

The book also says on numerous occasions that women are the property of men. First in the naming of Wendy, she bacame her brother's property
He named you. You were his.”
Hocking, Amanda (2010). Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1) (p. 51). Unknown. Kindle Edition. -Maggie
Also, Matt getting angry at Finn for thinking he was "defiling" Wendy. Even though she invited him into her room after he was trying to sneak in. Women simply can't know their own minds and need a man to come protect them and know what's good for them!
She also mentions "I would probably get married and change my name anyways." - Wendy (pg 251) What century is Hocking living in anyways. Women don't have to take the man's name any more. Women did that to show they were the property of men. There is no discussion that it's Wendy's decision to change her name. While someone can argue that it would change based on the medieval theme the Trylle have going on, it's not even mentioned that that would be the cause.
"..he [Finn] would never let you ruin your future." - Elora (pg 267)
Yeah that one stands on it's own again about men controlling women. Finn also dominates Wendy in a scene where he does the lean in close and put his hand next to her head. Dear, teens, it's so you can't run away. It's how men control women.

Not only that there's this:
"He whirled on me, grabbing my wrist. He pushed me until my back was against the wall, pinning me there.
Hocking, Amanda (2010). Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1) (p. 271). Unknown. Kindle Edition. "
You call that love?! I call that domestic violence! "Oh it's just so SEXY he's forceful!" Uhm.. NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! That is domestic violence! She didn't ask for it, she doesn't say "Oh please Finn be forceful!" NO! This is rapist behavior! IT. IS. NOT. SEXY! Women if you see this in a guy (and you haven't consented to it at that time, because you might be into that), RUN THE OTHER WAY! Get help, call someone! That is NOT OK behavior! You need to get out of the relationship. It's abuse!

Let's also talk about how this author thinks "Borderline-Anorexia" is "elegant" (pg 61). That can go up there with fat-shaming. Your not pretty unless your damn near dead. So now that you have to watch out who your with, what your doing, what your wearing.. also worry about what your eating!

There are also numerous time Wendy is slapped, hit and beaten by Jen. Ultimately in the end she still need the protection of a man to save her as she is defenseless to do anything. Wendy even admits it.
In the end the best compliment isn't how brave or daring Wendy was but how beautiful she was. Once again a woman's value coming down to her looks, and only her looks.

If this is what Paranormal Romance (More like Paranormal Domestic Abuse and Sexual Assault and Rape) is about, I'm not going to ever suggest my nieces read it. ( )
1 vote Maverynthia | May 5, 2014 |
The Cover

The Book

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was incredibly excited about this book, and I might have enjoyed it a lot except for the thread running through it that birth families (i.e., "blood" families) are the real families, and no matter who raised you and cared for you and loved you, the non-blood families are fake and you don't belong. It's possible that the sequels address this and reject it, but I couldn't get past it in the first book, and won't be continuing. ( )
  carlamlee | Mar 19, 2014 |
A few things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Always different--
Never did she understand.
Can this stranger help?
(TheBooknerd)

When Wendy Everly was six years old her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her, and eleven years later Wendy learns that her mother was right and that she is actually a changeling troll, who, at the age of seventeen, must be returned to her rightful home.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Switched by Amanda Hocking was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible