Switched by Amanda Hocking
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (heatherlove)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (amz310783)
    My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (CozyLover)
    CozyLover: If you liked the Trylle trilogy you're bound to like this one as well by the same author.
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (bookczuk)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)

English (264)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (267)
Switched
By: Amanda Hocking
Published: St. Martin's Press
Released: 1 March 2012
Reviewed: AB
The word: A journey of self-discovery with magical creatures and forbidden love thrown in

Am I a Changeling? That’s exactly what Wendy needs to face and find out.... Woo drama!

This is the first book in the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking... but it won’t be your last.

Wendy Everly is a socially awkward teenager, from hating shoes and cake to loving organic and earthy surroundings life has always been a little bit more of a challenge. Wendy has an emotional beginning in life, hell - having your own mother convinced you’re a monster and attempt to kill you on your sixth birthday can be a struggle for anyone. It’s no wonder that she turns to her brother and sees him as her best friend, confidant and protector growing up.

If being a teenager doesn’t suck enough she encounters a young man named Finn (cue tall dark and handsome) who not only rocks her mind, but makes the idea of wearing shoes a walk in the park (wait till you read the book you’ll realise just how funny I really am). What decision will Wendy make when she discovers her new-found crush is looking to take her away to meet her real birth mother? Yes I did just say real birth mother, have fun pondering that question the answer may just surprise you.

But wait there’s more.... Wendy now needs to not only deal with all this newfound earth shattering information but encounter magical creatures, forbidden love and enemies she didn’t even know she had all while discovering who she really is. Simple.... said no one ever.

Can you say goodbye AB’s social life, I just couldn’t put this book down. I was enticed by magical elements that FINALLY didn’t come from your typical vampires and werewolf’s story line. I don’t enjoy the writing style but appreciate the plot, characters and build up of events. I found the pace and flow of events throughout the book perfect. I do love a good crescendo and it flows from one book into the next. Trust me you will read book two.

Wendy’s brother is the solid rock in her life, without him she would be feel a lot more lost then she already is. They have a love for each other that holds a strong bond and with the occasional sibling rivalry it’s a natural family relationship. It’s evident early on that regardless of the situation they will always have each other’s back. Wendy faces a few struggles throughout the book with deciding to follow her path and learn her destiny or maintain the facade with her current life.

Wendy’s relationship with Finn begins normal enough, girl likes boy, boy is mysterious with something holding him back, girl pretends she isn’t dying to be with him and then he tries to whisk her away to a palace. If only this was going to be allowed (damn you forbidden love, damn you), but being her protector, before she know he even existed, is bound to make a dinner date conversation awkward. The dynamic of these two had me dying to change the laws and rules to let them embrace their feelings for each others. I can practically see how adorable their children would be ... or was it our children? Either way Hellooooooo Mr Finn.

Before I put this book down I was downloading the second and was keen to get started. It was an engaging and intriguing plot line with the makings of well-developed characters despite by lack of interest in the writing style. This would be a must read for those that are looking for a new twist on the typical fantasy genre. On that note I’m off to re-read the second.....

Loves, hugs and kisses

AB. ( )
  birdslovewords | Aug 9, 2015 |
Really, really, really well done. A very interesting story with a cool new take on the world of trolls. I loved it and couldn't put it down. The main character was interesting and dynamic while the main love interest Finn was dark and mysterious but still desirable. A very good read! ( )
  rachelmccoy | Jul 29, 2015 |
This review was originally posted on Hot Stuff for Cool People.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

‘Switched’ features main character Wendy, a teen girl who has never seemed to fit in anywhere or with anyone. In fact, she’s so different that her own mother decided she wasn’t actually her child, and tried to kill her. Now, at her new school, Wendy meets the mysterious Finn. He tells her that her thoughts of being something different might be true after all, although not in a way that she expected.

If you’ve read more than three paranormal teen novels in the past five years, you can begin to predict how this story goes. Wendy’s not normal, she finds out she has cool powers, she meets attractive boy Finn and tries not to be attracted. Once she does fall for him, he tells her not to get involved. Then, there’s lots of building up, until finally there’s a scary, panicky final outcome that has everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Teen books like this are the new fad, and ‘Switched’ follows that formulated storyline almost exactly. That, paired with how the story was written, made the book incredibly predictable. Absolutely nothing was a surprise, from major things like what type of creature Wendy is (that was given away with the title) to smaller plot occurrences.

The author does seem to be trying to make things surprising. She pushes some ideas so hard it becomes annoying. For example, Wendy repeats over and over how she knows that Finn is only there for her because it’s his job. ‘I know it’s just his job,’ ‘He told me it was just for work,’ ‘I hated it when I thought of how he only did it because it was his job,’ etc. We all know where the romance in the story is, so despite trying to pound this fact into us, I can’t imagine any readers were, or will be, surprised with the way the relationship between Wendy and Finn progressed.

There was also a bit of a… well, I guess you’d call it a continuity problem, although it wasn’t exactly that. It was more a timing problem. For example, during one scene, one of the characters asks Finn why he lets another character, Elora, do ‘that creepy mind-speak thing.’ They have this conversation right in front of Wendy, but in the next scene, Wendy asks Finn something along the lines of ‘What’s up with Elora always staring at you intently?’ and then it ‘dawns’ on her that maybe Elora is using a mind-speak technique.

But. Despite all of these flaws, I didn’t hate the book. Actually, by the middle, I found myself enjoying it more, and by the end I realized I’d liked it. I enjoyed most of the characters- Rhys, Elora, Finn, Willa and Matt are pretty well thought out. Although the main plot line is predictable, it was interesting to read about Wendy’s new home and life with her mythical family, and the culture the author set up was fascinating enough. I didn’t love Wendy- she lets absolutely everyone push her around, and only puts up a fight about it once or twice. ‘Move away from my family and go live with a woman who can’t stand me? Okey-doke,’ is kind of the way she is, which is really draining and exasperating. Towards the end of the book, though, she starts to think for herself, so I hope that in the next two books, she develops into a more likeable character.

Was the book terrible? No. Was it great? No. For an author who has already sold a million online copies, I was surprised with the poor quality of the story building and writing. However, I think I probably will read the next book in the trilogy, when it comes out, because this first one was just interesting enough, and I feel the need to know what happens to the characters.

As an update, several years later- I read the rest of this series, and I really, really enjoyed it. The predictability that was so rampant in the first book mellows out, more characters and secrets and situations are introduced, and I just really liked how the rest of the plot was handled. This is a trilogy that’s well worth reading. ( )
  hotforcool | Jul 20, 2015 |
Reviewed: AB

Loves, hugs and kisses

AB. ( )
  birdslovewords | Jul 19, 2015 |
I cannot believe I never reviewed this when I first read it. I just recently did a reread, and read all 3 books in the series in about 72 hours. I adore this series and pretty much everything this author has ever written.

Switched is an interesting take on fantasy. AFter all, when you read about trolls, you usually get the picture of how they were described in Harry Potter; grotesque, ugly, huge creatures. Or the Billy Goat's Gruff concept, but these real trolls do not live under bridges and they look largely like you and I.

I had a little bit of trouble because there were some editing slips in this one, but the story was interesting enough for me to overlook them and keep reading. Those who know me realize how huge that is.

If you are a fan of young adult, fantasy or a fan of both then this series will have something for you. There is action, adventure, romance. It really is a must read. Plus, I got to interview the author last year and she just rocks. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
A few things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Always different--
Never did she understand.
Can this stranger help?
(TheBooknerd)

When Wendy Everly was six years old her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her, and eleven years later Wendy learns that her mother was right and that she is actually a changeling troll, who, at the age of seventeen, must be returned to her rightful home.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Switched by Amanda Hocking was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,063,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible