Switched by Amanda Hocking
Recently added byjoelyfredericka, private library, shurwitch, recipe_addict, ku.
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (heatherlove)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (amz310783)
    My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (CozyLover)
    CozyLover: If you liked the Trylle trilogy you're bound to like this one as well by the same author.
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (bookczuk)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)

English (259)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (262)
Like any teenager, Wendy has often felt like she doesn't fit in. Even her own mother went crazy on her, telling her she wasn't her child, and her brother Matt is about the only one who's ever looked out for her. She's a picky eater and can't stand to wear shoes...oh, and she discovers she's actually a changeling, a troll or "Trylle," and did I mention the daughter of the Queen?

After a few books in a row that didn't work for me in one way or the other, it was really fun to rediscover my enjoyment of YA fantasy. The story suffers a little from predictability and setting up the trilogy, but I enjoyed getting to know Wendy and the other characters she meets - especially Finn, Rhys, and the other returned changelings. This is a solid traditional fantasy story that reads fast, and I'm looking forward to starting the next book soon. ( )
  bell7 | Sep 15, 2014 |
I'm going to be honest , this book didn't wow me or move me. I know that there are a lot of people out there who love this book and will probably disagree with me but I didn't like it. The only reason I'm given it a two is because it was refreshing to read a YA that wasn't centered around vampires or werewolves, angels or magic. Yet even though it was refreshing it still lacked anything.

At the start of the book Wendy tells you about her mother. That on her 6th birthday her mum had snapped and tried to kill her because she didn't believe that she was her daughter. It started really well at first and I couldn't put it down as the first few chapters gripped hold of me and wouldn't let me go. But then it just went downhill from there the moment she met Fin. Wendy ends up falling for a guy she couldn't be with (wow....how original) while possibly having feelings for two other boys her mother wouldn't approve of either. It all read like a really bad fan fiction. I don't think it was very well written or thought out but that's just my opinion.

The lack of character development frustrated me. Even though its a book set from Wendy's point of view, there wasn't enough about characters such as Matt & Maggie. When Finn came along, told her who and what she was and whisked her away in the middle of the night they were forgotten about. While she was still at home with her brother an aunt, 70% of the time Matt & Maggie were mentioned it was Wendy telling you how they had reacted to something, or what they had done. You never got to witness it and in a way I feel like Amanda was trying to detach you as quick as possible from them because they not only play practically no part in the rest of the book, but they are hardly even thought of.

It had the potential to be a really good book but sadly after the first few chapters it was nothing you haven't seen before. Then again, she's made millions from it so she must be doing something right.
Thinking I would love it due to some of the reviews that I've read, I've already bought the other two before reading this ( something I never do for exactly this reason to be honest). I'll have to give them a chance and see if it grows on me. I don't see that happening though. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I loved the fantasy world that Amanda Hocking created in the worrld of the Trylle. It is a complex society that lives within our own world, completely off the grid for most humans. I read a lot of fantasy and rarely have I come across a world featuring trolls, especially depicted as socially cultured and refined creatures.

The society of the Trylle and the lore behind it reminded me a lot of Aprilynne Pike's Wings series. There is a very defined caste system which most are unwilling to change or challenge, different social groups of trolls who all function in specific ways. The changeling theme is also similar, although that is a piece of the lore that exists in a lot of mythology.
But, despite those commonalities, the story is its own. Wendy has had a rough childhood in a lot of ways. Her father died when she was very young and her mother hated her, going so far as to try to kill her when she was only six years old. She has never fit in and she was always more than a little difficult, no matter how hard she tried. Even with all of that, she grew up with her aunt and her big brother, both of whom loved her unconditionally. Despite the paranomal aspect to the story, there are some strong messages on family acceptance and love.

And then she meets Finn, who turns her world upside down when he tells her the unimaginable... that there is a reason that she is the way she is and that her life is in danger because of it. She soon discovers that latter is true, although she has a tough time wrapping her head around the rest of it.

I love Wendy as a character. She is strong and loving, and more than a little stubborn. She loves her family fiercely and is strong in her own beliefs. But she isn't sure that her new life is better or worse than her old life, and neither was I as a reader. Finn is a great character, strong and loyal. He is a warrior and a protector and full of honor. He is the epitome of the knight in shining armor, almost to a fault as he is willing to sacrifice even his own needs and wants for the greater good. Elora (Wendy's mother), however, is a conundrum. She is regal to the point of being more than a little cold. She and her biggest rival, Aurora, seem to take a great deal of pleasure sniping at Wendy. Nothing she does is ever good enough and there is no compassion for the changes she has been through. Elora is the woman we love to hate and Aurora is a raging snob!

Bonus: There's a bonus short story in the newer editions of the book, The Vittra Attacks, set in the world of the Trylle!

My Recommendation: Forget the fact that the cover is gorgeous... this is a fun book with a great premise. There is a lot going on under the surface that we are only just getting hints at. There are secrets and mysteries and intrigue and I can't wait to read the second book! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 22, 2014 |
The Cover

4.5/5~I love the cover. The red with black, the red flowers the castle in the background. I even love the bottom half of her dress. I don't know what it is about the top half, it just doesn't do it for me.

The Book

Well, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't close the book, sigh, and slap the nearest thing to you good either. The characters are, well, like-able I guess. Some of them anyway. I'm not totally sure why I couldn't get into the book more than what I did. There was just something missing for me. Now, although the main character, Wendy was an okay main character, I have to say my Favorites were Tove and Rhys. Tove was the hero you would want to save your butt if you needed help. He would do what he needed to do without needing all the fan-fare..Just a simple Thank You would do. And Rhys was just funny and seemed to be just adorably cute if you were to see him in public. I don't want to give away too much about each character because that will tell too much about what roll each one plays. But for me, this book was just...Okay, it was cute..I'm glad I read it..but, I don't see myself going on to the next one in the series anytime soon...if at all...

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
A discount e-book if there ever was one.

Switched by Amanda Hocking

That doesn't mean this book is bad. It's fine. It's just not something I would want taking up valuable shelf space. I know I won't read it again, and I'm not terribly interested to discover what happens to the characters of the Trylle trilogy.

Wendy isn't quite right, but unfortunately the only other person who seems to agree with her is her institutionalized mother. She can will people to behave as she desires, she is a problematically picky eater, and she just can't seem to get along in class. Her sexy schoolmate with a staring problem, Finn, soon informs her that she is a changeling and it might be time to come home. Turns out she's a very important troll, and the rest of the novel is given over to a "Princess Diaries"-type storyline.

This book is clearly part of a trend in YA-literature to which Twilight and The Selection belong: female wish fulfillment that reads like fan-fiction. There are pretty dresses and multiple sexy boys, a bland heroine who somehow becomes central to a power struggle through no action of her own (well I guess America did fill out an application), and lavish homes in geographically isolated locations. All the sexy boys are interested in the bland heroine!

I had hope that Wendy would not be bland, because I was told of her wild nature and inability to attend a school without being expelled. The wildest thing she did in the whole novel was fall asleep on a couch watching a movie in an unsuitable boy's room. She tells the reader over and over that she's trouble, just like she tells the reader that Finn is sexy. She also tells the reader that she loves her "brother" Matt, but she's pretty quick to leave him behind without a word when Finn comes a-calling.

The characters are pretty flat across the board, but the take on Trolls is mildly interesting. There is a fair amount of action. If I were a particularly romantic thirteen-year-old-girl with a limited knowledge of literature I might have found this book engaging. As I am I found it to be a well-edited rehash of several stories I've read/seen before. Ranks above The Selection and below Twilight, but only because Twilight was published first. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A few things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Always different--
Never did she understand.
Can this stranger help?
(TheBooknerd)

When Wendy Everly was six years old her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her, and eleven years later Wendy learns that her mother was right and that she is actually a changeling troll, who, at the age of seventeen, must be returned to her rightful home.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Switched by Amanda Hocking was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,884,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible