Switched (Trylle) by Amanda Hocking

Switched (Trylle) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Member:SpazzyDragon13
Title:Switched (Trylle)
Authors:Amanda Hocking
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:switched, trylle, trolls, fantasy

Switched by Amanda Hocking

A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (heatherlove)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (amz310783)
    My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (CozyLover)
    CozyLover: If you liked the Trylle trilogy you're bound to like this one as well by the same author.
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (bookczuk)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)

English (273)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (276)
Switched is one of those books that you long to return to when you're not reading, one that is fun, entertaining, and perfect for escaping to.

However, this book has one major flaw: it is too much like Twilight. I tried to ignore the parallels and enjoy the book for its own story, but the similarities to Twilight were too obvious to ignore: Wendy, the female protagonist, is annoyingly clueless, she doesn't fit in the "normal" world, but everyone in the Trylle world is fascinated by her. And then there's Finn, the Edwardian guy who is perfect in every way—good looking, chivalrous, talented, strong—you get the picture. And of course these two characters fall madly and helplessly in love.

That being said, I still enjoyed the book and will probably read the next in the series. I have hope that the rest of the story will veer away from Twilight-esque influences. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
"Switched" is your typical teenage, paranormal romance, this time dealing with trolls. Although not an in-depth read, it is accessible, humorous in parts and quite a page turner so I think it will be popular with the girls who devour this type of book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I'm wavering in my ratings for this book. I wish Shelfari allowed for half stars, in which I would give this book 2.5 stars. Not a great book. Entertaining to some degree, different from the rest because the supernatural creatures in this series are trolls, but I'm sorry, not even Finn could make trolls sexy. I really dislike the idea of switching babies... I'd rather they were left on a doorstep to be adopted than switching one for another and ruining the families who bring up the troll children, only to be left without both children I'm wavering in my ratings for this book. I wish Shelfari allowed for half stars, in which I would give this book 2.5 stars. Not a great book. Entertaining to some degree, different from the rest because the supernatural creatures in this series are trolls, but I'm sorry, not even Finn could make trolls sexy. I really dislike the idea of switching babies... I'd rather they were left on a doorstep to be adopted than switching one for another and ruining the families who bring up the troll children, only to be left without both children in the end. It's cruel. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel was definitely an interesting read. It's one of a very few number of books I sat down and read within a single sitting. It has a "Princess Diaries"-esque feel to it, with Wendy, the protagonist, entering a monarchistic new lifestyle based on desperation on the part of the one seeking her out. I enjoyed the fact that Wendy's familial interactions didn't change with her status change. She still had an absent (well, dead) father, a distant mother, and a "brother" who cared for her and tried to make life easier. Also, the recreation of the troll legend was brilliant, in general. I love when writers humanize mythical/horror creatures other than the media popular vampires, werewolves, and zombies.

One of the aspects of the book I can appreciate most is the personality depth to each character. Hocking hints at a three dimensional storyline for each, instead of shoving random characters at us to appease the storyline of the protagonist. There also is no "good" character and "bad" character, but characters with good and bad tendencies and parts of their personality. For example, Kim, Matt's mother and (spoiler alert) Rhys' mother, can be condemned for her treatment of Wendy, but can also be understood for her despair in knowing her child was a boy and not feeling any connection to Wendy at all. Wendy's real mother can be condemned for her coldness and authoritative manner in dealing with Wendy, but also can be understood given her history in making bad choices with men, and in the fact that she is trying to preserve her people's history through her daughter.

The book flows well in terms of plot line, though I did find the descriptions of Wendy's physical interactions with Finn to be a little over-exaggerated and unneeded sometimes. Other than that, fantastic novel, excellent cliff-hanger ending, and I cannot wait for the second installment next year. I will definitely be reading it. ( )
  SiempreBailando | Jan 9, 2016 |
A few things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Always different--
Never did she understand.
Can this stranger help?
(TheBooknerd)

When Wendy Everly was six years old her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her, and eleven years later Wendy learns that her mother was right and that she is actually a changeling troll, who, at the age of seventeen, must be returned to her rightful home.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Switched by Amanda Hocking was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible