Switched (Trylle) by Amanda Hocking

Switched (Trylle) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Hocking

Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:switched, trylle, trolls, fantasy

Switched by Amanda Hocking

2011 (12) amanda hocking (12) ARC (12) changeling (30) Early Reviewers (11) ebook (29) family (6) fantasy (91) fiction (54) Kindle (33) love (7) magic (10) own (6) paranormal (36) paranormal romance (17) read (11) read in 2011 (12) romance (22) series (26) sff (7) supernatural (8) teen (9) to-read (56) trilogy (6) trolls (63) Trylle (16) Trylle Trilogy (19) urban fantasy (19) YA (45) young adult (60)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (heatherlove)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (amz310783)
    My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (CozyLover)
    CozyLover: If you liked the Trylle trilogy you're bound to like this one as well by the same author.
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (bookczuk)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)

English (251)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (254)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was incredibly excited about this book, and I might have enjoyed it a lot except for the thread running through it that birth families (i.e., "blood" families) are the real families, and no matter who raised you and cared for you and loved you, the non-blood families are fake and you don't belong. It's possible that the sequels address this and reject it, but I couldn't get past it in the first book, and won't be continuing. ( )
  carlamlee | Mar 19, 2014 |
This book was sooooo good!
I only got to know about this book because I was looking for books with a character called Loki in it but then I read that plot and I thought it was pretty interesting so I got the box set.
First of all I think the covers of all three books are gorgeous though I prefer the last one. I like that the girl is not in the focus and it's not all about how good-looking she is.

But anyway I thought the plot was awesome. It's about this girl called Wendy who's had a hard childhood because her mother always made her believe that she didn't belong. And she's doomed to be right.
Farther into the book Wendy gets (lets call it:) 'kidnapped' by Finn who's there to show her her actual life.
There's a lot more to that (obviously!), a lot more fantasy! But I feel like it gives away too much already. It is far nicer -in this case- to experience it all by yourself. Because normally I am one to always read the back of the book because I think it's nice to know a little about the book but I also believe that it doesn't give away too much.
But with this book I feel like the summary gives away too much -for my liking.

Anyway. The Characters.
I loved the characters! I thought Finn was pretty hilarious in his matter-of-fact way when he assumed Wendy already knew everything or when he simply didn't want to answer her. But I also liked the fact that he would never lie to Wendy or how he would sometimes only give those really short answers.

Wendy: I didn't like her as much though. For some reason I also don't think her name suits her. I didn't like the fact that everyone seems to love her. Not only Finn but also Rhys and Tove in a way. Other than that I thought she was rather sweet and I enjoyed the way she interacted with the mänsklig.

Elora: Gosh, I disliked her. But I'm really looking forwards to reading about her developement. Because I think it'd be interesting if she'd change over the next two books and become nicer.

Loki: He didn't appear at all in the first book. Only in the short story that comes with it but I think we already learn a lot about Loki in that short story and I'm excited to read more about him.

But not everything is perfect about this book.
I think some passgaes were too obvious, too predictable.
Like all those scenes with the paintings because I thought it was just so obvious when it was going to happen -when it happened- but it still took Wendy pretty long to realize it which annoyed me a little.
As well as the whole situation with Wendy and her mother. Whenever Finn or someone else mentioned her mother and she just didn't get what they were talking about but it was just SO obvious.
And also when she finally met her: and she didn't even know it was her. This annoyed me so much because in that moment she really seemed so stupid. But other than that maybe that's understandable because she had a lot to take in in such a short amount of time.

So to conclude it's got some flaws to it but overall I just loved the book so much I read it in a really short amount of time -by my standards- because I was just really excited to see how the story went on. So actually I would give it 4 stars but I just feel like it wouldn't do the book justice because the plot was just so satisfying so maybe I'd give it 4.5 stars and I'm excited to read the second book as soon as possible. ( )
  JustSitAndWooui | Mar 1, 2014 |
A great read. If you love Twilight, Hunger Games, and Divergent, you will love this series of novels. ( )
  tcoggin1 | Feb 18, 2014 |
This book was entertaining. But it pretty much ends there.

The main character, Wendy, is forgettable. Finn is a cookie cutter knock out with a haunted personality (big surprise) and the other characters themselves are slightly agitating in their predictable and expected roles.

The storyline itself offers no real twists or turns, and at no point was I clinging to my couch pillow in anticipation.

The largest irritation was the frailty of the main character. Despite everyone around her making comments about her 'strength' and how 'powerful' she was... she acted like china doll with a stubborn streak. At no point did she ever try to use her powers, even when the time absolutely called for it, and just stood by and let others protect her while she pretty much flapped about. The only time she ever actually did something was when her love-interest was in trouble. Woohoo.

At numerous points throughout the plot she had the option of making choices that would have meant good things for her, but she chose instead to be full of self-pity or self-loathing and wallow about in how 'unfair' everything was.

The fact that she had a lot of opportunity to really change things if she'd have just stepped up seems to have completely escaped her.

All of that being said I appreciated the creative aspects regarding the way the author redefined "trolls" and "changelings".

This book was not awful, but it wasn't a book I'd go waving around in peoples faces, proclaiming that they had to read it.

I heard somewhere that they might be making a movie out of the story. I will say that I suspect that this book will play out MUCH better on the big-screen than it does in book-form. ( )
  AuggieTalk | Feb 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An enjoyable fast paced fantasy. The ending was rather abrupt and I'm curious to see what happens the the characters in the next book. The take on "trolls" is fresh and different, still not sure how I feel about it overall. ( )
  Kr15tina | Feb 13, 2014 |
A few things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Always different--
Never did she understand.
Can this stranger help?
(TheBooknerd)

When Wendy Everly was six years old her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her, and eleven years later Wendy learns that her mother was right and that she is actually a changeling troll, who, at the age of seventeen, must be returned to her rightful home.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Switched by Amanda Hocking was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible