Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls) by Christie…

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls)

by Christie Craig

479None21,504 (4.11)7
    Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls) by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This will be out soon, its the 4th in the Shadow falls series. I can't wait to read it too. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Taken at Dusk by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is the 3rd book in the Shadow Falls series.They all are amazing http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Awake at Dawn by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is book 2 of the shadow falls series, a must read. Also, check out Turned at Dark, its .03 of the series, its a short story of Della being turned. Its a free ebook at Amazon. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Embrace by Jessica Shirvington (becksdakex)

English (87)  German (1)  All languages (88)
Kylie is a rather refreshing paranormal romance lead. Normally, they are average girls who are boring but somehow attract the attention of super hot supernaturals. Kylie is different. She thinks she’s attractive, but refuses to put out and does not become giggly and bubbly to get a guys she attention. In fact, she is just honest, which I absolutely love! It is so rare to see a character in a YA book be so truthful.

Derek and Lucas, the two others in this love triangle are equally weighted, which again, I love! Normally, there is a real winner in the love triangles and it’s just painful to watch the other guy dangle. But here, both Derek and Lucas are fabulous contenders. I haven’t decided which I like more. Lucas has a past with Kylie which I find sweet, but Derek is so charming and comforting. Gah. I am glad I’m not Kylie.

Miranda and Dessa, Kylie’s cabinmates and best friends, are wonderful. Miranda is a witch and Dessa is a vampire. The two fight constantly and if not for Kylie they would probably kill each other. But the three of them make such a great little trio. They all really have each other’s back and it’s great.

As for the plot itself, there were times I found myself skimming the pages trying to get to the good stuff. All of it is “good”, but I felt like it took way too long to figure out the strange happenings. At the same time, I really liked the development of Kylie’s relationships with everyone and how open she became. And when it came to family drama, dear god, that poor girl. Overall, the plot was pretty good.

I am really ready to read the second one. I want to find out exactly what she is because it doesn’t say for certain. She’s just special and has a gift, but no mention yet of what it is exactly. Anyways, if you are wanting something exciting and relatively quick to read, I suggest you pick up this book for your YA paranormal fix. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
The Good: Set at a camp, full of supernatural kids learning about themselves and each other, the premise was just perfect. While it usually annoys me when a main character doesn't know what she is, it worked here. You sort of experience the doubt and wondering right along with Kylie. It goes along with the story, rather than distracting from it.

The Bad: Kylie's denial lasts WAY too long. It gets annoying early on. As does her fear/judgement of the other supernatural kids. I get that she's having trouble accepting what's going on around her, but that stage gets dragged out a lot longer than believable. ( )
  TequilaReader | Dec 5, 2013 |
RATING: 2.5 stars (Average).

"Born at Midnight" the first in the "Shadow Falls" series by author C.C. Hunter tells the story of Kylie Galen, a 16-year-old girl that is going through a rough time in her life: her parents are divorcing, her Grandmother died recently and her boyfriend broke up with her. To top it all, an unthought act of rebellion culminates with a visit to jail and her parents deciding to send her to a camp for troubled teenagers. But what Kylie finds at Shadow Falls camp is that the teens aren't only troubled... they're other. And she might be too.

This book was a quick and easy read, yes, but it was also pretty average as far as YA Urban Fantasy goes. There was nothing really distinctive about "Born at Midnight" and while I read it I was mentally ticking off items on a list: "main character with special powers is clueless about them": check, "two hot guys": check, "typical love triangle": check, "older character who acts like a mentor": check.
It's not that the book was bad, it just wasn't that original.

On the plus side, you have the nice, compelling writing style that will keep you reading even as you feel a sense of "deja-vu". Kylie while stereotypical is, at times, pretty cute and in general, a likable character. I also loved the budding romance between Burnett and
Holiday; so much I actually thought the book would be a little more entertaining if their love story could be Kylie's instead.
There was also some humor (loved some of the banter between Miranda and Della) and I really liked the mystery of Kylie's supernatural origins.

But... on the other hand, there were a lot of little flaws. Like the very typical characters: the older, kind mentor; the bad-boy; the sensitive guy; the two female best friends. Or the simple and straightforward storyline: this book was more focused on Kylie and her problems about her powers and origin and I can understand that, since it's the first book; but I didn't understand the need for the introduction of a secondary "mystery" plot because it was very poorly developed and often almost forgotten.
Also, let's not forget the overdone setting (private school/camp for supernaturals), the shallow characterization of both characters (who were little more than stereotypes, as I mentioned above) and the world itself - Hunter's supernaturals were pretty typical (again) and not particularly interesting. World-building is needed.
And, last but not least the love-triangle. I mean, really? So overdone. And it wasn't even done in an interesting way.

So, overall, I can't say I'd recommend "Born at Midnight" enthusiastically. Story and setting have been done over and over so the book isn't particularly original. Still the compelling writing style and the need to know more about Kylie's hidden powers will probably keep you reading. Recommended for fans of the "Hex Hall" and the "House of Night" series. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I absolutely fell in love with this book, I read two pages and was caught. I couldn’t put the book down. I honestly didn't think I would like it much, but it was recommend to me so I thought I would give it a try. It really was an amazing read. It's not slow at all and it kept me wanting to read more and more and more. The book is based around the mystery of Kylie and why she can do what she can do and I couldn’t wait to find out all the secrets. In the end, I still didn’t know and now I must read more of the series.
The main character is a bit whiny at first, but she's written well and she gets better. She learns to deal with her issues and embrace the paranormal world and along the way make some really good friends.
The title fits in with the story and the cover is absolutely beautiful, I love the colors and it fits well with the story.
I want to read the rest of the series, and can't wait.
I'd rate it a 5/5 ( )
  ashyyrawrr | May 9, 2013 |
Review:

Slowly getting through my long list of TBR, this one has been on my list for a long long while. I have had the book sitting on my shelf, I just never had the chance to fit in my schedule. Finally I did and I am very happy to have finally started this wonderfully talked about series. I really really liked this book. It was a bit slow in the pacing at times for me but there was a lot of building of relationships and laying of puzzle pieces to create a very mysterious paranormal story.

Long Story Short:

Kylie was in the wrong place and the wrong time and ended herself up in a heap of trouble. Kylie's parents believe that she needs some help dealing with their divorce and that is why she is acting out. They send her to a camp for troubled teens that Kylie's counselor recommended. In only takes a short bit before Kylie realizes she is in a camp for paranormal teens not troubled teens. She is told she herself must be a paranormal but Kylie is positive she is not. She would rather believe she is just nuts or has a brain tumor. What Kylie doesn't expect is to make some great friends, fall for two gorgeous boys, and undercover some dark deep family secrets.

My Thoughts:

This was wonderfully written story. I am so excited to start another paranormal story that has some of the great aspects of a paranormal read with a very fresh story line. The plot is only just started in this book and it seems to me that its only going to get better. I am happy that all the books are currently available and I can just keep on keeping on and read all about it.

The story is definitely one worth reading. The pacing was a bit slow for me at times, but the author did a wonderful job of building the characters and the story. I am just a little bit ADD and when the pace slows I have a bit of a hard time with continuing. I am glad I did though. It really picked up towards the middle and the story went from good to great. So many secrets, so many stories, so many great characters. Every time I thought I had things figured out the story took another turn. It was great.

The characters were pretty awesome. I liked the main character. She was in denial for most of the book but she was pretty level heeded, in fact that is probably why she was in so much denial. She was way to level headed to believe anything paranormal existed and she may be one of them on top of that. I also liked her roommates very much. I loved Della and Miranda, their constant bickering was a real comediac act. They were both really loyal characters. I love loyal characters.

The love story wasn't the entire focus,which was good for me. I love romance in my books but I do get tired of them being the total focal point. It is still very important to the story and a big part of Kylie's new life but there was so much more going on. There was a bit of insta-love but not the oh my I can't live without you type of insta-love but the kind of insta-love that is clearly insta-attraction. There is a love triangle of course and argh when will these stop. I really don't think it was needed in this story but it's there and I do love both boys already. I know this triangle is going to break my heart one way or the other. Lucas is the brooding bad boy full of passion and Derek is the sweet can't resist you kind of boy. I really did fall for both of them. I am hoping there will be a clear winner for me later on in the books.

In The End:

It was a great read and I will for sure carry on with this series. ( )
  jennerenee | May 6, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Kylie Galen thinks her misbehavior in the wake of her grandmother's death and her parents' separation are the reasons she has been sent to Shadow Falls Camp, but learns it is a training ground for vampires, werewolves, and other "freaky freaks," of which she may be one.… (more)

188 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Born At Midnight by Christie Craig was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible