Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls) by Christie…

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls)

by Christie Craig

5119019,861 (4.12)7
    Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls) by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This will be out soon, its the 4th in the Shadow falls series. I can't wait to read it too. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Taken at Dusk by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is the 3rd book in the Shadow Falls series.They all are amazing http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Awake at Dawn by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is book 2 of the shadow falls series, a must read. Also, check out Turned at Dark, its .03 of the series, its a short story of Della being turned. Its a free ebook at Amazon. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Embrace by Jessica Shirvington (becksdakex)

English (89)  German (1)  All languages (90)
OMG! This book is Amazing... Very few books do to me what this book did.
It is just wonderful.
Full Review to come! ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Addicting. I do not believe it will be ever classified as "great" literature, but it certainly is charming and captivating. Good storyline; intriguing. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
Kylie is a rather refreshing paranormal romance lead. Normally, they are average girls who are boring but somehow attract the attention of super hot supernaturals. Kylie is different. She thinks she’s attractive, but refuses to put out and does not become giggly and bubbly to get a guys she attention. In fact, she is just honest, which I absolutely love! It is so rare to see a character in a YA book be so truthful.

Derek and Lucas, the two others in this love triangle are equally weighted, which again, I love! Normally, there is a real winner in the love triangles and it’s just painful to watch the other guy dangle. But here, both Derek and Lucas are fabulous contenders. I haven’t decided which I like more. Lucas has a past with Kylie which I find sweet, but Derek is so charming and comforting. Gah. I am glad I’m not Kylie.

Miranda and Dessa, Kylie’s cabinmates and best friends, are wonderful. Miranda is a witch and Dessa is a vampire. The two fight constantly and if not for Kylie they would probably kill each other. But the three of them make such a great little trio. They all really have each other’s back and it’s great.

As for the plot itself, there were times I found myself skimming the pages trying to get to the good stuff. All of it is “good”, but I felt like it took way too long to figure out the strange happenings. At the same time, I really liked the development of Kylie’s relationships with everyone and how open she became. And when it came to family drama, dear god, that poor girl. Overall, the plot was pretty good.

I am really ready to read the second one. I want to find out exactly what she is because it doesn’t say for certain. She’s just special and has a gift, but no mention yet of what it is exactly. Anyways, if you are wanting something exciting and relatively quick to read, I suggest you pick up this book for your YA paranormal fix. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
The Good: Set at a camp, full of supernatural kids learning about themselves and each other, the premise was just perfect. While it usually annoys me when a main character doesn't know what she is, it worked here. You sort of experience the doubt and wondering right along with Kylie. It goes along with the story, rather than distracting from it.

The Bad: Kylie's denial lasts WAY too long. It gets annoying early on. As does her fear/judgement of the other supernatural kids. I get that she's having trouble accepting what's going on around her, but that stage gets dragged out a lot longer than believable. ( )
  TequilaReader | Dec 5, 2013 |
RATING: 2.5 stars (Average).

"Born at Midnight" the first in the "Shadow Falls" series by author C.C. Hunter tells the story of Kylie Galen, a 16-year-old girl that is going through a rough time in her life: her parents are divorcing, her Grandmother died recently and her boyfriend broke up with her. To top it all, an unthought act of rebellion culminates with a visit to jail and her parents deciding to send her to a camp for troubled teenagers. But what Kylie finds at Shadow Falls camp is that the teens aren't only troubled... they're other. And she might be too.

This book was a quick and easy read, yes, but it was also pretty average as far as YA Urban Fantasy goes. There was nothing really distinctive about "Born at Midnight" and while I read it I was mentally ticking off items on a list: "main character with special powers is clueless about them": check, "two hot guys": check, "typical love triangle": check, "older character who acts like a mentor": check.
It's not that the book was bad, it just wasn't that original.

On the plus side, you have the nice, compelling writing style that will keep you reading even as you feel a sense of "deja-vu". Kylie while stereotypical is, at times, pretty cute and in general, a likable character. I also loved the budding romance between Burnett and
Holiday; so much I actually thought the book would be a little more entertaining if their love story could be Kylie's instead.
There was also some humor (loved some of the banter between Miranda and Della) and I really liked the mystery of Kylie's supernatural origins.

But... on the other hand, there were a lot of little flaws. Like the very typical characters: the older, kind mentor; the bad-boy; the sensitive guy; the two female best friends. Or the simple and straightforward storyline: this book was more focused on Kylie and her problems about her powers and origin and I can understand that, since it's the first book; but I didn't understand the need for the introduction of a secondary "mystery" plot because it was very poorly developed and often almost forgotten.
Also, let's not forget the overdone setting (private school/camp for supernaturals), the shallow characterization of both characters (who were little more than stereotypes, as I mentioned above) and the world itself - Hunter's supernaturals were pretty typical (again) and not particularly interesting. World-building is needed.
And, last but not least the love-triangle. I mean, really? So overdone. And it wasn't even done in an interesting way.

So, overall, I can't say I'd recommend "Born at Midnight" enthusiastically. Story and setting have been done over and over so the book isn't particularly original. Still the compelling writing style and the need to know more about Kylie's hidden powers will probably keep you reading. Recommended for fans of the "Hex Hall" and the "House of Night" series. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Kylie Galen thinks her misbehavior in the wake of her grandmother's death and her parents' separation are the reasons she has been sent to Shadow Falls Camp, but learns it is a training ground for vampires, werewolves, and other "freaky freaks," of which she may be one.… (more)

188 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Born At Midnight by Christie Craig was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible