Born at Midnight by Christie Craig

Born at Midnight

by Christie Craig

Whispers at Moonrise by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This will be out soon, its the 4th in the Shadow falls series. I can't wait to read it too. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Taken at Dusk by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is the 3rd book in the Shadow Falls series.They all are amazing http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Awake at Dawn by Christie Craig (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: This is book 2 of the shadow falls series, a must read. Also, check out Turned at Dark, its .03 of the series, its a short story of Della being turned. Its a free ebook at Amazon. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/
    Embrace by Jessica Shirvington (becksdakex)

English (93)  German (1)  All languages (94)
It was okay. Cool, Soldier Guy was her real dad. :) I like him. For some reason I hate all of the love interests. Derek is boring, and while Lucas is a little more interesting, he's not much better. Trey was annoying. Della and Miranda were cool. Holiday was cool. However, the character that annoyed me the most was Kylie. Whiny, weak. Your typical teenage YA heroine. -_- Is that like the thing nowadays? To be so extremely pathetic, whiny and helpless? It seems that way, as that's how most YA heroines are portrayed today. Yeesh. 2.5 stars at most. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
Born at Midnight
By: C.C. Hunter
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Released: 29 March 2011
Reviewed by: KJ
The word: well-rounded paranormal coming of age book for the younger YA reader

This is C.C. Hunter’s first YA book. C.C. Hunter is a pen name for Christie Craig who also writes humorous romantic suspense novels. The book was well-versed, has a strong, if not at times, confused female character who is peppered with teenage angst. However, despite raising some hard hitting issues, I felt it didn’t dive deep enough into them and as a result felt it was for a younger audience then most YA books.

Sixteen year old Kylie Galen’s life is falling apart – her parents are getting a divorce, her grandmother recently died and the sting from her boyfriend breaking up with her is still fresh. Needing to escape reality she ends up at a party that is raided for drugs by police, despite having no involvement her parents send her to Shadow Falls Camp for juvenile delinquents. However, when Kylie arrives she is told the camp is actually for the supernatural – witches, werewolves, shape shifters, vampires and fey, and that she also has supernatural abilities which allow her to see ghosts. Despite her abilities the other supernatural are unsure what her true origins are.

As Kylie tries comes to grip that there really are supernaturals in the world, she is determined to deny her own supernatural status. As if her life wasn’t complicated enough, Derek a half-fae and Lucas a werewolf are immediately attracted to her and start competing for her affections. The two boys couldn’t be any more different with Derek sweet, adorable and perfect boyfriend material while, Lucas is brooding, fiercely protective and passionate.

The book dives into a journey of self-discovery following Kylie as she determines to prove that she is your typical teenage girl that doesn’t belong in the crazy world of witches and werewolves. Shadow Falls Camp is a great setting – allowing Kylie the freedom to uncover the truth about herself, without the distractions of normal life. The Camp encourages the kids to learn how to harness their powers, control their magic, develop relationships with other supernaturals and learn how to operate in the normal world.

The relationship Kylie has with her two bunk mates Della, a witch, and Miranda, a vampire, is so incredibly honest it’s very refreshing to read. All three learn to appreciate each other and they grow and flourish together. They are not without their disagreements however come out stronger for them.
Derek and Lucus. Sigh. Both totally swoon worthy – I wanted her to choose both, I changed my mind so often while reading. Both have their faults as well as their benefits.

The book ended well – there are still some questions looming but it felt like Kylie had finished the first chapter on her journey, she grew as a person, learnt the meaning of true friendship and started to feel comfortable about who she is, and what she can do. Her relationship with her parents also developed for both the good and bad. Kylie wasn’t the same person who started in the camp, but this wasn’t a bad thing.

This was C.C. Hunter’s first YA book, despite being an information overload in the beginning the book was well-rounded and a good coming of age book set in the supernatural universe. The book felt like it was catered to a younger audience with the book suited to anyone over the age of 13. ( )
  birdslovewords | Jul 19, 2015 |
I fell in love with this author and the series immediately, I am not a big fan of vampires, werewolves, and shape shifters but I am hooked on this series,

Kylie is sent to a camp for troubled teens and discovers that she is a supernatural. Now she has set out on the quest to discover just what type of supernatural is is. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jun 12, 2015 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This book was amazing! A great story with terrific characters! I was with it from beginning to end! Such a delightful read. It was very well paced and never really lagged. Loads of intrigue abut never seemed like too much.

Kylie is a really genuine character that is easy to connect with. You really identify with her struggle to want to be normal and fit in, yet a yearning to be different and special. She is so engaging and not a typical angsty teen. Yeah!! A teen who faces drama without pitching a whinefest!

The world in this book is fantastically detailed and well developed. The supporting characters are fun and engaging, quirky loners who will steal your heart! There are some real laugh out loud moments with these teens!

She has many love interests and it is so hard top choose a favorite to route for. Sexy fae Derek, ex-boyfriend Trey, Werewolf Lucas...a gal could go into meltdown trying to pic a hottie!

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Katie Schorr. She does a fantastic job with all the characters voices. Each one is distinct and stays consistent. She reads at a great pace, I prefer a brisk speed and so do most of the teens I know. I love how she makes Kylie more engaging and dynamic with subtle changes in her tone and pitch.

I loved this book and am going to grab the next book as soon as I finish this review! Can not wait for what is next! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
To put it delicately? This was pure garbage.

The protagonist is whiny and annoying. The dialogue is unbelievably cheesy and lame. And the ideas of supernatural beings are just tired cliches.

There are better Y.A. novels out there. ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |

Sixteen-year-old Kylie Galen thinks her misbehavior in the wake of her grandmother's death and her parents' separation are the reasons she has been sent to Shadow Falls Camp, but learns it is a training ground for vampires, werewolves, and other "freaky freaks," of which she may be one.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Born At Midnight by Christie Craig was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,072,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible