Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Prom and Prejudice (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Eulberg

Member:ahsreads
Title:Prom and Prejudice
Authors:Elizabeth Eulberg
Info:Point (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2
Tags:G12, prom, prejudice, scholarship, poor, love story, friendship, piano, pride, bullying, realistic fiction

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Kate Rorick (Runa)
    I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison (16AnnabelleC)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (16AnnabelleC)
    Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik (readr)
    readr: Both are modern day high school adaptations of Pride and Prejudice.
    Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman (readr)
    readr: Also a teen, modern day Jane Austen themed story.

This is a fun, modern retelling of one of my favorite books. I thought the author did a great job capturing the essence of the original characters and I especially loved the brooding Will Darcy. Lizzie Bennett is a very worthy protagonist - kind, strong, intelligent and determined. I also enjoyed the setting of the book, the snobbish school for rich girls where Lizzie is made to feel unwanted since she is only there because of a scholarship. This book is a delightful introduction to a beloved classic and one I would highly recommend. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I love Pride and Prejudice retellings and this was no exception. This was a cute, fun take on it that I read in one sitting ( )
  emmyreads | Jan 4, 2016 |
As can be easily deduced by the title, Prom & Prejudice is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. Set at an elite private school, Lizzie Bennett is a scholarship student among trust fund kids who immediately see her as an unfit 'connection' to make in their "high society." Will Darcy is exactly as Jane Austen portrays him — exceedingly wealthy, rude, full of pride, and a man with whom we could live happily ever after!

Much like modern adaptions such as Shakespeare's Twelfth Night into She's the Man, Prom & Prejudice is the perfect tool not only to get young readers interested in Jane Austen, but it's an excellent way to help readers to understand the plot. With an understanding of the plot, the student can better appreciate the story and not get lost in the words. Eulberg handles Austen's masterpiece beautifully, keeping the story as close to the original as possible, but with a few decisive changes so as to make it her own.

I noticed that a lot of the characters' dialogue sounds like it's reminiscent of the regency era. However, I feel like it kept the story from being cheapened by modern slang or colloquial language. Eulberg preserves much of Austen's language and the original traits of her iconic characters. Even if the names weren't all the same, any reader could pick out who is who.

I enjoyed Prom & Prejudice more than I expected to. I picked it up because I love Elizabeth Eulberg's novels. She's an incredible writer and her books are easy to sink into on my daily commute. It got me in the mood to watch Pride & Prejudice again, so part of my weekend has been devoted to watching the BBC production, featuring a very handsome Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. The lake scene, anyone?

Teachers, if you're looking to give teen girl readers a stepping stone to understanding Pride & Prejudice, Elizabeth Eulberg's Prom & Prejudice is an excellent way to do just that! It's like Gossip Girl meets Jane Austen him — an odd, but undeniably effective and enjoyable combination!

For ages 13 & up.

3.5 Stars ( )
  loveofreading | May 3, 2014 |
Review coming soon... ( )
  br14emmu | Sep 25, 2013 |

Is a retelling of

For my mother, whose enthusiasm for books in contagious, and my father, who inspires me to be a better person
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date.

After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

From the much-buzzed-about author of THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB (already blurbed by Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle, and Jen Calonita), a prom-season delight of Jane Austen proportions.

After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be - especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles's friend, Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn't seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it's because her family doesn't have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk - so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

For Lizzie Bennett, a music scholarship student at Connecticut's exclusive, girls-only Longbourn Academy, the furor over prom is senseless, but even more puzzling is her attraction to the pompous Will Darcy, best friend of her roommate's boyfriend.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,037,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible