Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Babe in Boyland

by Jody Gehrman

Why I Read This: It looked like a fun, cute read.

Plot: This story reminded me a lot of She’s the Man with Amanda Bynes which is not a bad thing because I absolutely loved that movie and recently found out it was based on one of Shakespeare’s plays. The plot was a little predictable, but there were parts that were still unique to the story. I loved the theater components of and how they were incorporated perfectly into the story. What I had a hard time believing was how it was so easy for her to be enrolled into the school without any problems or people asking too many questions. That would not have happened in real life, but obviously the same rules don’t apply to books which is why they’re so amazing.

Characters: Natalie was hilarious, witty and sarcastic. She was very relatable and I loved her. I also really liked her two best friends, Chloe and Darcy. They couldn’t have been more different from each other, but that seemed to make their friendship even more believable and realistic. Emilio was super adorable and I loved that he was shy around other people, but very comfortable when he was with Nat (aka Natalie). I really liked them all, especially the three friends Natalie makes at the all-boys school she attends for a week.
Cover: The cover is super cute and is what first drew me to the book. The girl is gorgeous and has the biggest and prettiest eyes ever!

Overall Impression: Hilarious! I found myself literally LOLing various times throughout the book. I had fun reading it which is what I was hoping for. I will definitely pick up other books by Jody Gehrman now that I know how great this one was. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
Hilarious. I too want a chance to get into the boy world
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
RATING: 3 stars.

I am a sucker for a good gender-bender (my favorite shoujo manga ever, just happens to be Hana-Kimi), so when I read about "Babe in Boyland" I simply had to read it.

Well, it's a fast, light and fun read (I laughed out loud a lot) but it lacks originality as the core story is basically the same as the aforementioned Hana-Kimi. Still it's pretty funny and I liked how Natalie's perceptions change with her experience.

Natalie, a high-school junior who writes a love-advice column for the school paper, gets criticized because her articles are too one-sided.
When she realizes her critics (mainly boys) are right she decides an undercover assignment is needed and enrolls (by dubious means, I must say) in an all-boys intern school called Underwood. She shares a room with a hot guy named Emilio. And well, that's it. It's, like I said, almost the same plot as Hana-Kimi - Mizuki, the manga heroine enrolls because she wants to go to school with her sports idol who happens to go to an all-boys school - but the setting and situations are the same, really.

Except that while Hana-Kimi spans for 23 volumes and develops the romantic story slowly and believably, "Babe in Boyland" proposes to do the same in less than 300 pages, so the two protagonists only have about a week to get to know each other and fall in love. Which is NOT believable especially since Natalie is disguised as a boy.

Most of the characters were walking stereotypes and one of them even gives Natalie a "social tour" of Underwood "a-la-10-Things-I-Hate-About-You".

Overall this was a fun (I'm using this word way too much to describe this book, ahah) read but it lacked depth in the story and character department. Everything happened too fast to be... well, believable. Still, it makes a great read for younger readers and if you liked this book I strongly recommend checking out Hana-Kimi, the japanese manga by Hisaya Nakajo.

slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
i loved this book ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
I know I say this every time I review a contemporary novel, but I rarely actively want to read contemporary. I just can't get over this roadblock in my head that says contemporary is either Gossip Girl fluff or slit-your-wrists depressing. This, despite all of the incredible contemporary I've read. Whatever, welcome to my brain. The point is, I rarely wishlist contemporary books, but Babe in Boyland, for whatever reason*, was one I wishlisted. So when Jody emailed me, asking if I'd like to review Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft, and also offered up Boyland, I jumped at it. And once again, I was reminded of why I need to take down that roadblock, brick by brick, because I'm missing out on really good contemporary books.

This was funny. Really funny. Like, laugh out loud, snorting and chortling and reading parts over again, funny. Natalie just sparkles on the page, she is so thoroughly likable and engaging. Most readers will be familiar with the story because, lets face it, we've seen it before. This is a pretty common trope, actually**. But there's a reason it cycles back periodically - there's something compelling in it, and something with built in shenanigans, which always makes for a good time - but I think Gehrman puts her own stamp on things quite nicely, and Natalie is so engaging that I don't think I would even care if it was an exact play-by-play of something else. Though the men at school may hate Natalie's alter-ego, Dr. Aphrodite, and may think Natalie is clueless, it's hard not to like Natalie herself as a narrator. She is clueless in the beginning, but adorably so, and she doesn't stay clueless for long.

The friendships are fantastic as well - the interactions and the confronting of stereotypes/cliques, etc., are nicely handled. It's sadly rare to see positive female friendships in books these days - they tend to go either Mean Girl or Cardboard; if they're not flat and boring and easily substituted, they're competitive, combative, snide, and fake. Less friends, more frenemies. It's sad because while, yes, occasionally one girl may have that relationship with another girl - who may or may not be her friend - that's not the standard. (Surprise! Girls can be friends! Anne and Diana aren't faking it!) Natalie has good, tried and true, close friends who she cares about and who care about her, and help her in her ever-increasing shenanigans. (This isn't to say they don't have their ups and downs, because that would also be cardboard; but they don't serve as a shallow plot device, and I appreciate that.) The boys in Boyland start out as stock characters and evolve from there, much as they should in this type of story - they are fleshed out as Natalie realizes how little she knows, and opens her mind to get to know them, allowing the reader to do the same. Basically, character dynamics were a win in Boyland.

And - that's it.
I don't really have negatives, honestly. Some will feel like it's been done, and it has, and if that bothers you as a reader, you should maybe skip this. But as they say, there's nothing new under the sun, and I think most people either won't have come across this trope often enough to be bothered by it, or will like it too much to care.  It reads like it could easily be a movie (partly because its type has been, partly because Gehrman is also a playwright and she put those skills to work).  Babe in Boyland is now another in a longer-by-the-minute list of contemporary books that have done their best to convince me to start reading more contemporary. This super quick read (I devoured it in one sitting) was engaging throughout, and despite any unoriginality in the plot, I don't have any reservations in recommending it.
Also: Emilio Cruz. Win.

*Gender-bending. Gender-bending was the reason. And the cover, because seriously? Gold star, I love it.
** In fact, one such similar work, the 80's movie Just One of the Guys, even centers around the main character doing her cross-dress thang in an effort to win a journalism contest. Which is Natalie's goal. So there's that... ( )
  BookRatMisty | Nov 21, 2012 |

Natalie, a seventeen-year-old former drama club member who now writes a relationship column for her school newspaper, decides to go undercover as a student at an all-boys boarding school so that she can figure out what guys are really like.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,893,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible