City of Sin by Catharine Arnold

City of Sin (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Catharine Arnold (Author)

Member:alectritton
Title:City of Sin
Authors:Catharine Arnold (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Ltd (2011), Edition: UK ed., 384 pages

City of Sin: London and Its Vices by Catharine Arnold (2010)

I very much enjoyed this book. Arnold did thorough research and didn’t get 'stuck' in just one time period, giving me a really good overview of the past few thousand years. I loved that she used stories whenever possible. This really helped me to connect to the working women and understand their decisions, or lack thereof. While this book is on a seemingly seedy topic, and Arnold does go into detail, she never uses language or facts for simple shock value. Everything has research behind it.

I would definitely recommend reading this if you love history and aren’t faint of heart! ( )
  sscarllet | Dec 15, 2015 |
I can not praise this book highly enough. If you're into titillating reads of debauchery by Londoners dating back to the Roman era, through the middle ages to the present, then you should definitely get your grubby hands on this.

I used to think I had heard all perversions but there were many stories in "City of Sin" that made me stop and think "What the fuck was going on back then?" If I had to pick a favourite story, it would be of the politician that was seen on the balcony of a known brothel but whereas many of today's pollies would sadly hide, this MP put on a show for the growing crowd below, which gleefully cheered him on.

Suffice to say I am eagerly chasing down other books by Catharine Arnold. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Feb 20, 2014 |

Catharine Arnoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Romaya, RafaelaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my husband, Mark Adams,
and to my great friend Ronald Frame. Thank you
for your love, understanding and patience.
When it comes to sex, London has always had a bit of a reputation. - Introduction
Bruised, half-naked and in chains, the slave girls shivered on the docks, beneath the lashing rain and grey skies of Albion. - Chapter 1

Debauched Londoners / Indulge in sins of the flesh / Across centuries (MiaCulpa)

For over a thousand years, England's capital has been associated with desire, avarice and the sins of the flesh. In this text, Catharine Arnold turns her gaze to the city's relationship with vice through the ages. She takes us on a journey through the fleshpots of London from earliest times to present day.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,208,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible