Die Sonne : Der Stern, um den sich alles…

Die Sonne : Der Stern, um den sich alles dreht (2010) (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Richard (1947-) Cohen

Member:birder4106
Title:Die Sonne : Der Stern, um den sich alles dreht (2010)
Authors:Richard (1947-) Cohen (Author)
Info:Arche Verlag (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 688 Seiten
Collections:Non-Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:+Sachbuch, Astronomie, Physik, Geschichte/geschichtlich, @LGB, !HC, 2012

Chasing the Sun: The Epic Story of the Star That Gives Us Life by Richard Cohen (2010)

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
To be honest, I wouldn't have naturally picked this up on my own steam. It was mentioned in a group here on GoodReads in a challenge thread and caught my eye. After looking into it a bit, I figured it might be right up my alley because it covers a wealth of subjects through the lens of it's specified solar theme and has the twist of "popular science" thrown in. I'm a pop science junkie. Let's blame Bill Nye. Or, you know, thank him.

I think I was hoping for more author personality. It felt a bit like falling down a Wikipedia similar article hole at times though this was certainly better researched than most wikipedia pages. The information was interesting and I found that it answered some questions I'd had jangling and jumbling at the back of my head for ages. I just wish certain chapters (really any of the sections pertaining to the arts) had more flavor. There's certainly a time for frankness in such a book but when it's billed as a 'grand tradition of the scholar-adventurer,' I do expect a bit of the personal add-in. There is the odd anecdote here and there but it wasn't the norm.

All in all, Cohen's undertaking is impressive and there's enough interest to get through the book. But there is the dry spot amidst the so-called epic-ness and a heavy chance of the odd skim-through.

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
This is an odd book. It sets out to tell about the sun and its effects on the earth - a grand objective, but one that is fulfilled more in the form of a catalogue or an extended index, than as an enjoyable and informative read.
Cohen is comprehensive to a fault, but at the end it was strange to reflect that I couldn't recall learning much in the way of new information. I must have come across new data, but it is telling that the passionless writing style left me thinking otherwise.
The author includes some vignettes of his researches, such as seeing sunrise from Mt Fuji on the summer solstice, and these liven the text. Some seem to be a little forced - maybe the editor pushing the author? But there needs more of this to make the mountain of information more memorable and meaningful.
Read December 2014 ( )
  mbmackay | Jan 5, 2015 |
An epic story indeed. This book was too big for bedtime so I left it in the living room and read a chapter or a few pages when I felt like it. The best chapters were brilliant - and I can imagine that all the chapters were good but that for each individual different chapters might be the ones to spark the imagination because it covers so many different areas - science, history, culture, art, religion (to name a few!). ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Interesting framework and a broad reach of ideas that is enjoyable to read. ( )
  j3745 | Feb 6, 2014 |
Richard Cohen brings huge amounts of commitment, passion and verve to his subject and this shines through on every page. He has researched and written about every aspect of the Sun - historical, artistic, literary, scientific - and has ensured none of his research has been left out of this book.

Reading Chasing the Sun is like reading every web page ever written in one Wikipedia article. There is interesting information on every page and we are often taken down little off-piste runs that are just too fascinating to miss. Cohen wants to tell us everything and give his view on it, but he is definitely stronger on the arts than the sciences.

I think this bok ultimately tels us more about Cohen and his slightly mad obsession than it does about the subject. This is a fascinating and informative read, but eventualy overpowering if you sit in its glare for too long. Just like the Sun. ( )
  pierthinker | Mar 15, 2011 |
My goal was to get to the top of Mount Fuji in time to see the Sun rise on June 21, the summer solstice of 2005.

Presents a chronicle of humanity's historical, mythological and scientific relationship with the sun, drawing on various world cultures to explore such topics as the religious beliefs of Ancient Egypt, Galileo's early discoveries of sun spots and the modern world's efforts to address global warming.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,629,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible