HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

1Q84 : a novel by Haruki Murakami
Loading...

1Q84 : a novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami

Series: 1Q84 (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
6102315,985 (3.89)26
Member:Meredy
Title:1Q84 : a novel
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Tōkyō : Shinchōsha, 2009-
Collections:Read but no longer own
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Work details

1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami (2009)

  1. 21
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (miniwark)
  2. 01
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 26 mentions

French (8)  English (6)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (23)
Showing 1-5 of 6 (next | show all)
Read July 20-25 ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
Murakami heeft zijn boek opgezet als een aanklacht tegen het literair establishment. Dat betekent dat het eerste deel de kwaliteit heeft van een Bouquest-Reeks romannetje: Een vage plot en om de zoveel pagina's "bad sex". Ik kwam er niet doorheen.

Jammer want ik vond de eerdere boeken die ik van hem las erg mooi (Kafka aan het strand, Norwegian Wood) ( )
  JaapNoordzij | Nov 13, 2013 |
This is part one of the latest work by Murakami, 1Q84. Here in The Netherlands, the Dutch version of this book has been published in three parts, so I have about 1000 more pages to look forward to. One thing that this does mean, is that Murakami can take his time to tell his story. As a reader, you slowly get eased into the world he creates, which gets further removed from reality very slowly. I love this about this book, you can really get lost in it.
There is not much I can say about the story so far, I feel it is just getting started. In it we follow Aomame and Tengo in alternating chapters. Weird things are happening to them both, and slowly we realize that they might have something to do with each other, now or in the past. I don’t want to say more because I don’t want to spoil the discovery of the story.
I do have to give a special compliment to the Dutch translator (Jacques Westerhoven) and publisher (Atlas) for this edition. Not only is it a beautiful hardcover, but Westerhoven has added footnotes to explain some typical Japanese customs, history and culture. As far as I know, none of the (UK edition) other books by Murakami I have read have had these. While it does take you out of the story a bit, it does enhance it by letting you enjoy some of the subtle things Murakami does in his story.
Even though this is part one of three, I love it already. I just hope the other two parts deliver. ( )
4 vote divinenanny | May 5, 2011 |
Murakami is echt uit vorm. Veel te dik en te weinig te vertellen. Als je dit afzet tegen de Opwindvogelkronieken zijn de door mij toegekende twee en halve ster nog veel. ( )
1 vote bertwerk | Aug 18, 2010 |
This is my first paper book I've read since I got a Kindle for my birthday beginning of this year. Although I'm hooked on reading eBooks in english, i just had to have the new book by Haruki Murakami. The book itself is typically Murakami, with a lot of mixing up of reality with non-real, dreamlike events.
This is the first title in a trilogy and book 1 and 2 are published as a package deal, so I also have book nr 2 already waiting at home. Again, normally I don't read two books from the same author directly after each other, but I'm now quite disappointed that I'm travelling and can not directly continue in the second book. Well, I'll just have to start another book on my Kindle and take up book 2 upon my return... ( )
  JanHeemskerk | Aug 7, 2010 |
Showing 1-5 of 6 (next | show all)
Prononcé à l'anglaise, q se dit « quiou », comme le chiffre 9 en japonais. Best-seller au Japon, ce « Haruki Code » se réfère donc au 1984 de George Orwell. Au roman d'anticipation dénonçant le système totalitaire, régenté par un Big Brother que la technologie a rendu omniscient, Haruki Murakami répond par un roman de rétrospection humaniste.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Marine Landrot (Aug 20, 2011)
 
1Q84 är ett skrämmande och fascinerande verk som på ett närmast djävulskt utstuderat sätt suger in läsaren i en besynnerlig och osannolik värld.
 
Jag kan inte påstå att ”1Q84” är något mästerverk. Men jag gillar den. Den är spännande och underhållande, bitvis rent magisk. Som alla bra sagor väcker den förundran över tillvarons mysterium.
 
Bara under den timme det har tagit att skriva ovanstående, har Haruki Murakamis roman(er) fortsatt växa i mig. Han har den förmågan. Jag tror att hans största tillgång är att han är en av få nutida romanförfattare vars verk man verkligen känner behov att tala om, diskutera med andra läsare.
added by Jannes | editDagens Nyheter, Jonas Thente (Apr 4, 2011)
 
Für vernünftige Menschen ist das nichts. Denn natürlich ist alles, was Murakami sich für seinen monströsen Roman ausgedacht hat, völlig durchgeknallt. Doch wenn man ihn gelesen hat, kommt einem die Welt, in die man wieder zurückmuss, sobald man sein Buch wieder zugeschlagen hat, noch viel bescheuerter vor.
 

» Add other authors (13 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerhoven, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
É um mundo de fantasia, ilusório do princípio ao fim, mas tudo seria real se acreditasses em mim.
Dedication
First words
A rádio do táxi estava sintonizada numa estação em FM e transmitia música clássica. A Sinfonietta de Janácek.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
This is book 1 of 1Q84. It should not be combined with one of the other parts of the trilogy.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

The year is 1984. Aomame sits in a taxi on the expressway in Tokyo. Her work is not the kind which can be discussed in public but she is in a hurry to carry out an assignment and, with the traffic at a stand-still, the driver proposes a solution. She agrees, but as a result of her actions starts to feel increasingly detached from the real world. Meanwhile, Tengo is leading a nondescript life but wishes to become a writer. He inadvertently becomes involved in a strange affair surrounding a literary prize to which a mysterious seventeen-year-old girl has submitted her remarkable first novel. Can her story really be true?… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 2 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
33 wanted2 pay1 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.89)
0.5
1 5
1.5 1
2 5
2.5 5
3 30
3.5 17
4 69
4.5 14
5 45

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,476,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible