1Q84 : a novel by Haruki Murakami

1Q84 : a novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami

Info:Tōkyō : Shinchōsha, 2009-
Collections:Read, no longer own
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy

1Q84 Book 1 & 2 by Haruki Murakami (2009)

1984 by George Orwell (miniwark)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984

French (8)  English (5)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (22)
Murakami heeft zijn boek opgezet als een aanklacht tegen het literair establishment. Dat betekent dat het eerste deel de kwaliteit heeft van een Bouquest-Reeks romannetje: Een vage plot en om de zoveel pagina's "bad sex". Ik kwam er niet doorheen.

Jammer want ik vond de eerdere boeken die ik van hem las erg mooi (Kafka aan het strand, Norwegian Wood) ( )
  JaapNoordzij | Nov 13, 2013 |
This is part one of the latest work by Murakami, 1Q84. Here in The Netherlands, the Dutch version of this book has been published in three parts, so I have about 1000 more pages to look forward to. One thing that this does mean, is that Murakami can take his time to tell his story. As a reader, you slowly get eased into the world he creates, which gets further removed from reality very slowly. I love this about this book, you can really get lost in it.
There is not much I can say about the story so far, I feel it is just getting started. In it we follow Aomame and Tengo in alternating chapters. Weird things are happening to them both, and slowly we realize that they might have something to do with each other, now or in the past. I don’t want to say more because I don’t want to spoil the discovery of the story.
I do have to give a special compliment to the Dutch translator (Jacques Westerhoven) and publisher (Atlas) for this edition. Not only is it a beautiful hardcover, but Westerhoven has added footnotes to explain some typical Japanese customs, history and culture. As far as I know, none of the (UK edition) other books by Murakami I have read have had these. While it does take you out of the story a bit, it does enhance it by letting you enjoy some of the subtle things Murakami does in his story.
Even though this is part one of three, I love it already. I just hope the other two parts deliver. ( )
4 vote divinenanny | May 5, 2011 |
Murakami is echt uit vorm. Veel te dik en te weinig te vertellen. Als je dit afzet tegen de Opwindvogelkronieken zijn de door mij toegekende twee en halve ster nog veel. ( )
1 vote bertwerk | Aug 18, 2010 |
This is my first paper book I've read since I got a Kindle for my birthday beginning of this year. Although I'm hooked on reading eBooks in english, i just had to have the new book by Haruki Murakami. The book itself is typically Murakami, with a lot of mixing up of reality with non-real, dreamlike events.
This is the first title in a trilogy and book 1 and 2 are published as a package deal, so I also have book nr 2 already waiting at home. Again, normally I don't read two books from the same author directly after each other, but I'm now quite disappointed that I'm travelling and can not directly continue in the second book. Well, I'll just have to start another book on my Kindle and take up book 2 upon my return... ( )
  JanHeemskerk | Aug 7, 2010 |
Waiting for the English translation, I just can't wait to read this epic new work from Murakami! From what I know, the first two volumes won't be released until September of 2011. Holding vigil.
  DistractionJunkie | Jun 21, 2010 |
Für vernünftige Menschen ist das nichts. Denn natürlich ist alles, was Murakami sich für seinen monströsen Roman ausgedacht hat, völlig durchgeknallt. Doch wenn man ihn gelesen hat, kommt einem die Welt, in die man wieder zurückmuss, sobald man sein Buch wieder zugeschlagen hat, noch viel bescheuerter vor.

"1Q84" ist vor allem auch der Roman zweier Menschen, die einander fehlen. Aus der Perspektive ihrer Liebesgeschichte betrachtet, ist das Unheil, das mit den Little People in die Welt gekrochen ist, auch ein Sinnbild dessen, was Aomame und Tengo getrennt hat. Indem Tengo die Geschichte über die Little People zur Sprache bringt, hat er ihnen den Kampf angesagt. Doch was kommt dabei heraus? Ein Bestseller. Ein zweiter Mond am Abendhimmel. Darunter zwei Menschen, die sich vielleicht finden werden.
added by lophuels | editDie Welt, Ulrich Baron (Oct 2, 2010)

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerhoven, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phoney as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe,
If you believed in me -
(It's Only a Paper Moon,
E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen)
De radio in de taxi stond op een FM-station dat een klassiek concert uitzond.
Une religion qui va jusqu'à dénier la nécessité d'une intervention chirurgicale parce qu'elle prend les écrits bibliques au pied de la lettre, ce n'est rien d'autre qu'une secte.
This is book 1 of 1Q84. It should not be combined with one of the other parts of the trilogy.

An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.… (more)

23 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible