Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Night Road (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kristin Hannah

Member:acorley84
Title:Night Road
Authors:Kristin Hannah
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:to-read, 2013-c2c-challenge, may-2013-reads, loaner

Night Road by Kristin Hannah (2011)

I always forget how much I love Kristin Hannah. It's like returning to an old friend. Her books just take you in by the heartstrings and pull until you laugh and cry. You get angry and sad and happy. The way she writes just lets you FEEL what her characters are feelings. It's not trite, it's not contrived, and I love it.
Night Road takes you on the journey of 18 year olds who are acting like, well 18 year olds, and the choices they make and the consequences those choices yield. I'm not going to spoil anything and there are plenty of summaries of the book, but this is Kristin Hannah at her finest. ( )
  Sbojo32 | Sep 7, 2018 |
Another fantastic book by Ms. Hannah! I couldn't put it down. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
A very readable novel, but a bit of a soap opera at times with a great deal of drama and a too-nice, neat ending.
Twins Mia and Zach are wealthy and privileged, and live with their control freak mum (she herself had a very detached mother which has made her into the total opposite). At 14, into their lives comes Lexi - her mother, now dead, was a drunk and she lived in a succession of foster homes until finally her aunt great Eva takes her in. She and Mia, despite being from such different backgrounds, become firm friends, and Lexi and Zach are in love but don;t tell anyone, including each other, for fear of hurting Mia.
But at 17 they finally get together despite mixed feelings from the twins' mum.
Then ata party the trio get drunk and Lexi - by far the least drunk but technically over the limit and too young to drink - drives them home and crashes the car, killing Mia.
The family is devastated and charges Mia - who ends up being made an example of to the local teens and is sent to prison for six years - only discovering she is pregnant once inside. She gives up her baby to Zach and his family for legal adoption.
But on release from prison she checks on daughter Grace who is deeply miserable - dad Zach works too hard to try and forget, while his mum can;t bear to look at her as she reminds her of Mia. Lexi re-enters their lives and wants her daughter back - it is about to go through the courts but conveniently Zach and Mia get back together, while Zach's mum starts to like Grace and even makes peace with her own horrid mother. And it's all very happy ever after!
But despite the tidy ending it was a compulsive read and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  AHouseOfBooks | Aug 21, 2018 |
It’s amazing to think what one little bad choice can do. It changes everyone’s lives for better or for worse. This book is easily 5 Stars ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
Basically a romance with tragedy. Young girl who has been through the foster system until her drug addicted mother's death allows her to discover an aunt who finally provides some stability in her life and she gets to spend her high school years in one school and make some friends. Her best friend is a very shy twin whose brother is very popular, but when loves enters the picture, eventually problems occur and lead to a tragedy.
  Gmomaj | Mar 20, 2018 |
An epic tale of love, friendship, loss and forgiveness.

Once I finished sobbing (and we're talking UGLY cry), I was able to look at Night Road and realize just how wonderful this book truly was.

I am having such a hard time writing the review for this book because it evoked so much emotion in me - sad, angry, happy, frustrated - that I don't know if I can find the appropriate words. How do you tell someone about a book that, literally, took your breath away? Having read Winter Garden and Firefly Lane, I thought I knew what I was in for but this one... nothing could prepare me for the ride I was about to have.

As the characters lives become intertwined, and the story more developed, you can see the amazing gift and talent that Kristin Hannah has. Through her writing, I became a classmate of Lexi, Mia and Zach. I could feel every emotion that I had back then, resurfacing. Their journey through high school becomes like that of a memory, something you have done and aren't just reading about.

Overall, this is a book that I am and will be thinking about for a long time to come. Whether you are a mother, a sister or a friends, Night Road is a story that anyone can relate to. A definite MUST-read!!

A flawed but never dull drama.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 15, 2011)

Even readers who like their melodrama thick will have problems as Hannah pushes credibility to the breaking point, and more than once.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 3, 2011)

I cannot deny that I was a helicopter mom. I went to every class gathering, party, and field trip, until my son begged me to please, please, stay at home. Now that he is grown and a college graduate, I can look back on our shared high school years with the wisdom that comes from distance. His senior year was without a doubt one of the most stressful years of my life, as well as one of the most rewarding. When I think back on it - and those memories were the inspiration for this novel - I remember so many of the highs and the lows. Mostly I think how lucky I was to live in a tight-knit, caring community where we supported one another. So, here's to my son, Tucker, and all of the kids who streamed through our house, lighting it up with their laughter, Ryan, Kris, Erik, Gabe, Andy, Marci, Whitney, Willie, Lauren, Angela, and Anna, just to name a few. And to the other moms: I honestly don't know how I would have survived without you. Thanks for always being there, for knowing when to lend a hand, when to offer a margarita, and when to tell me a hard truth. To Julie, Andy, Jill, Megan, Ann, and Barbara. Last, but certainly not least, thanks to my husband, Ben, who was always by my side, letting me know in a thousand ways that in parenting, as in everything else, we ere a team. Thanks to you all.
She stands at the hairpin turn on Night Road.

Night Road kept me turning the pages, although I lost sympathy for Jude Farraday after a while. Her grief was great, however, she was unable to see beyond herself during this trying period and her family suffered immensely because of it. Hannah redeems her character nicely at the end, and Judy learns and important lesson about love and forgiveness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312364423, Hardcover)

Product Description

For a mother, life comes down to a series of choices.

To hold on…

To let go..

To forget…

To forgive…

Which road will you take?

Night Road

For eighteen years, Jude Farraday has put her children’s needs above her own, and it shows—her twins, Mia and Zach—are bright and happy teenagers.  When Lexi Baill moves into their small, close knit community, no one is more welcoming than Jude.  Lexi, a former foster child with a dark past, quickly becomes Mia’s best friend.  Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable.

Jude does everything to keep her kids on track for college and out of harm’s way.  It has always been easy-- until senior year of high school.  Suddenly she is at a loss.  Nothing feels safe anymore; every time her kids leave the house, she worries about them.

On a hot summer’s night her worst fears come true. One decision will change the course of their lives.  In the blink of an eye, the Farraday family will be torn apart and Lexi will lose everything.  In the years that follow, each must face the consequences of that single night and find a way to forget…or the courage to forgive.

Vivid, universal, and emotionally complex, NIGHT ROAD raises profound questions about motherhood, identity, love, and forgiveness.  It is a luminous, heartbreaking novel that captures both the exquisite pain of loss and the stunning power of hope.  This is Kristin Hannah at her very best, telling an unforgettable story about the longing for family, the resilience of the human heart, and the courage it takes to forgive the people we love.

Amazon Exclusive: A Conversation Between Kristin Hannah and Emily Giffin

Emily Giffin (left) is the author of five New York Times bestselling novels, including Something Borrowed, which has been adapted as a major motion picture that will be in theaters in summer 2011. A graduate of Wake Forest University and the University of Virginia School of Law, she lives in Atlanta with her family.

Kristin Hannah (right) is the New York Times bestselling author of eighteen novels, including Winter Garden. She is a former lawyer turned writer and the mother of one son. She and her husband live in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii.

Kristin Hannah: Well, first, I have to say, Emily, that I am just the tiniest bit irritated with you. When I got the call to do this interview, I was thrilled, to say the least. It came at a really busy time for me--right after the holidays and we all know how crazy that is--and my work in progress was giving me fits. Then I picked up Heart of the Matter, and lost myself. No more writing, no more cooking, no getting my hair done or reading my email. Once I started the story I literally couldn't put it down. Brava, girlfriend, I say. Your characters are so real and compelling, and they always say exactly the right thing. With so much honest emotion, I just have to ask how much of your work comes from your own life?

Emily Giffin: It never fails to thrill me when someone responds to one of my novels--especially when it's another writer. Writers understand the alchemy involved in making up something from nothing. And I just finished your book, Night Road, and I found it so emotional, so moving, and so terrifying--especially since I have three young children who will someday be teenagers. In terms of how much does my work come from my own life, I would say that I'm absolutely inspired by people, places, conversations, relationships, and issues that I observe, and that the "what if" part of my novel is very much inspired by these things in my life. But the details of my plots and the specifics of my characters come from my own head. How about you, Kristin? I'll ask you the million-dollar question that every author gets asked: where do you get your ideas?

Kristin: Ah, the idea question. I don't want to sound coy, but the truth is, I don't quite know. It's the most magical part of the process for me. I'm a pretty analytical gal, and I approach writing in the same just-the-facts-ma'am way I approach most things. I need to find an issue that engages me on an intellectual level, and then I need to marry that curiosity with a kind of passion. I need to feel genuinely passionate about each story before I ever write a word, and I have to actually have something to say. It takes me at least a year to research and write a novel, and so I have to really adore each part of it--the characters, setting, story. Most of all, it has to make me feel something genuine. That's really the most important component. Usually it begins with a single "what if" question--what if you discovered your mother had a whole secret life about which you knew nothing (Winter Garden) or what if your husband were accused of a crime you believed he hadn't committed (True Colors)--and then I write and re-write until the characters seem as real to me as old friends.

Kristin: I'm amazed by how much we have in common. We're both moms, both lawyers, both lived in London for a time. You're like a younger, cooler version of me. How did you make the transition from lawyer to writer, and do you think you'll ever practice law again?

Emily: I would hardly say I'm cooler than you, Kristin! I hear you live in Hawaii part time! What is cooler than that? I made the transition from lawyer to writer because I was so miserable being a lawyer that I needed some escape from the day-to-day of it. And inventing stories was that escape. I can say, without hesitation, that I will never practice law again. Would you? What kind of law did you practice, and for how long? What did you find appealing (or discouraging) about law? Did you find that it gave you fodder for any of your novels?

Kristin: Honestly, I have met very few lawyers who don't say that what they really want to do is write. Like you, I can say with certainty that I will never practice law again. Not that anyone would want me to. But I still keep my Bar membership up...just in case this whole writing thing doesn't work out. And yes, in the past few years, I have finally begun to put some of that law school education to work for me. I find that I'm really enjoying adding legal issues to my work. Of course, I have to talk to real lawyers to make sure I'm getting it right...

Read more of the conversation between Emily Giffin and Kristin Hannah

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:36 -0400)

After a string of foster homes and the death of her heroin-addict mother, Lexi Baill is taken in by a newly discovered great-aunt who lives a spartan life near Seattle. Lexi soon meets Mia and her loving twin brother, Zach. The friendship flourishes, and Mia's mother draws Lexi into the family circle. A slowly growing attraction between Zach and Lexi begins, but then Lexi, Mia, and Zach collectively make a bad decision that results in a tragedy with extreme repercussions.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kristin Hannah's book Night Road was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible