We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales…

We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive

by Laurie Notaro

Another fun book by Laurie Notrao. In this one she talks about going off on the customer service guy at the cable company. Looking for fabulous boots with one of her girlfriends in San Francisco even though she has "athletic" calves. Her hypochondriac tendencies after looking at WebMD. Going to a discount store that sells seconds and other not for regular retail. Teaching her sister the ins and outs of E-Bay. Her crazy cat lady neighbor. Finally ending with her painting class which after painting seed pods, antlers and the parking lot they graduate to a live model, a past her prime nude female. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jun 24, 2016 |
This is a book of "essays" where there author is recounting some of the humourous moments in her life, starting with her panic when she lost her passport/money/id/everything in New York City on the first stop of her book tour to the painting class where she had to paint someone in the nude. And all kinds of stuff in between - shopping with her best friend, all kinds of family stuff, and more.

This is the first book I've read by Notaro and I will be reading more! She is funny! I was often laughing out loud, luckily mostly at home, rather than on public transit. It was a fast, fun read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 10, 2014 |
Laurie Notaro is incredibly funny. Her book We Thought You Would Be Prettier was such fun to read. It was like a breath of fresh air after some of the longer and more serious titles that I've read. It is set up as short essays on topics and as such I could read a couple when I felt like a chuckle or two. Definitely a book that most women will enjoy and relate to. My favorite was her tale about shopping in a bargain/closeout store. The title of that story was That's Not Pudding, and it was a description of a stain seen on a discounted comforter when the clerk removed it from the package to try to find the price. I laughed so hard that I had tears running down my face. ( )
  c.archer | Apr 4, 2013 |
I love Laurie Notaro and all her imperfections. She makes me feel that girls like us (chubby, smartmouth, sassy, no filter) are the norm. She is offensive (often unintentionally), untidy, and hilarious. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jan 9, 2013 |
As usual Laurie Notaro’s look at life is hilarious her books are just so much fun. The story of the flippy hair guy or otherwise known as the day you realize you are no longer cool and have your mother’s voice living in your head! I loved this chapter!!

There was some funny stories about her book tour where only one person showed up and what happened before she went up on stage (in the bathroom) or losing your wallet or locking yourself out are all something that would happen to me or the shopping trip with your skinny friend where you can’t find anything in your size. I think that is why I enjoy her books because I am a bit sarcastic and kind of look at life in a similar skewed view that she does!

I listened to this one on audio and Hilary Huber does a great job on the narration of these humorous books.

4 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Aug 18, 2011 |

She thought she’d have more time. Laurie Notaro figured she had at least a few good years left. But no–it’s happened. She has officially lost her marbles. From the kid at the pet-food store checkout line whose coif is so bizarre it makes her seethe “I’m going to kick his hair’s ass!” to the hapless Sears customer-service rep on the receiving end of her Campaign of Terror, no one is safe from Laurie’s wrath. Her cranky side seems to have eaten the rest of her–inner-thigh Chub Rub and all. And the results are breathtaking.

Her riffs on e-mail spam (“With all of these irresistible offers served up to me on a plate, I WANT A PENIS NOW!!”), eBay (“There should be an eBay wading pool, where you can only bid on Precious Moments figurines and Avon products, that you have to make it through before jumping into the deep end”), and the perils of St. Patrick’s Day (“When I’m driving, the last thing I need is a herd of inebriates darting in and out of traffic like loaded chickens”) are the stuff of legend. And for Laurie, it’s all true.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:43 -0400)

She thought she'd have more time. Laurie Notaro figured she had at least a few good years left. But no-it's happened. She has officially lost her marbles. From the kid at the pet-food store checkout line whose coif is so bizarre it makes her seethe "I'm going to kick his hair's ass!" to the hapless Sears customer-service rep on the receiving end of her Campaign of Terror, no one is safe from Laurie's wrath. Her cranky side seems to have eaten the rest of her-inner-thigh Chub Rub and all. And the results are breathtaking.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,520,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible