The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From…

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Dinah Bucholz

Member:meganmoore
Title:The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Muggles and Wizards
Authors:Dinah Bucholz
Info:Adams Media (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Muggles and Wizards by Dinah Bucholz (2010)

The author has created recipes to just about any food mentioned in the Potter books, along with a little history of the dish or ingredients. You'll find an easy recipe for Hagrid's rock cakes, Aunt Petunia's roast pork, Mrs. Weasley's Irish soda bread and blueberry muffins, and Hogwart's Yorkshire pudding. Does anyone need a recipe for mashed potatoes or how to make an ice cream sundae? Probably not, but as mentioned in a previous message, I tried out the Mulligatawny Stew recipe and it was excellent and pretty easy too. Now I've got my eye on the Yorkshire pudding and treacle tart recipes. ( )
  mstrust | Dec 6, 2016 |
I got an awesome Harry Potter Cookbook for Christmas! I can't wait to try out some of these delicious-sounding recipes: Bangers and Mash, English Farmhouse Scrambled Eggs and Bacon, Hot Chocolate, as well as Harry's First Birthday Cake: Chocolate Layer Cake. I'm not sure I could justice to Vol-au-Vents, Pepperming Humbugs, or Chocolate Eclairs but they sound delicious.

I really like the introductions for each recipe which give a glimpse back into the Harry Potter world, reminding the reader where these foods were found. There are also information blocks on each page with real-life historical information about each recipe. All in all, it's an awesome book. Can't wait to try it out!
  pegasus.rose.99 | Jan 9, 2016 |
This was actually kind of adorable. I started this somewhere in the spring and finally picked it up to finish the last half earlier this week. I love cookbooks that take apart books and show you what you can make, to see how your characters were living. In their houses, schools, holidays, everything.

I have so many of these I would not mind giving a try now! ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
This chick stole all of J.K. Rowlings's success and used it to write a cookbook. Every recipe talks about a scene in one of the Harry Potter books. I don't know whether to say I despise her or give her kudos. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
As a Harry Potter fanatic, I had to check out this book. But as a health freak, I'm a little afraid of it. I don't usually cook or eat most of the type of foods in here, so maybe I'm wrong, but I think a lot of these recipes contain pointless and unhealthy ingredients. With the desserts, I can understand there being butter and sugar, but I've made a few desserts before and I don't remember adding nearly as much as these recipes call for. Even in a lot of the "healthy" recipes there's usually butter, sugar or salt added. Like one recipe instructs you to slather butter over perfectly good fish for no reason at all! I know you could just leave that step out, but still. Eww. I'm wondering if all this butter and sugar is a British thing or the authors preference. The few foreign dishes, like the French foods or the Hungarian Goulash, are healthier. So I'm guessing it's the former.

I've found a few recipes that I'm willing to try. A couple of them will only take minor adjustments to make healthier, like switching the butter for olive oil when frying the sausage in the Herbed and Spiced Fried Sausage Patties recipe. The other recipes that I'm going to try are the Fried Tomatoes, Bouillabaisse, Beef stew with Herb Dumplings, and the Pumpkin Pasties. I can't make the Pumpkin Pasties any healthier since it's a dessert and there's just no avoiding it, but they're one of the few foods that had me curious when reading Harry Potter. I've been craving these things since I first read about them at age 11! And I'm lucky since this recipe doesn't use as much butter and sugar as the other desserts.

I was disappointed in the pumpkin juice recipe. It was just a mixture of pumpkin and other juices, like apple juice. Although I know this is probably what it would really be like, or perhaps just pumpkin juice by itself, I was hoping for something different. Someone who's been to that Harry Potter theme park, or whatever it is, said they had some pumpkin juice and it was spicy. Not spicy hot. Just more like it had spices blended in. I think I'm going to look online for a recipe like that.

I was also disappointed in the cauldron cakes. They're just pancakes. I imagined them to be cupcakes shaped like cauldrons. lol. Oh well.

The mincemeat pie had no meat in it. And also way too much butter and sugar. I think I'll look up an alternative recipe for this as well.

Something that annoyed me was that something as simple as eggs and bacon were in here. Though I know the author is just trying to be thorough and include every single food that's in the Harry Potter books. But it was getting redundant and ridiculous when an eggs and bacon recipe showed up again... and again. First it was fried eggs and bacon, then scrambled eggs and bacon, then a third and fourth recipe for eggs and bacon separately. What?

Even though I don't really like the recipes, I learned a little from this book. With some of these foods, I thought they were exclusive to Harry Potter, like something Rowling made up. They sounded exotic and weird, like something you would make from potions ingredients. Turns out a lot of it is traditional British food. I enjoyed the little side notes. They were usually about the history of the food, British culture, and British or European people of the past. Even Nero the Roman emperor! Apparently he used to eat a mixture of snow, honey and fruit? ( )
  Weirdology | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Heshy
Foreword: Harry Potter's first taste of Hogwarts, as it were, is an eye-opener.
Introduction: This book grants its reader great powers.
Chapter One: The Dursleys might thank you to remember that they are as normal as can be, but their treatment of their own flesh-and-blood nephew Harry Potter is anything but.

Contains 150 recipes inspired by the Harry Potter novels, with a guide to where the foods can be found in the books, including good food with bad relatives, treats from the train, the favorite cook's dishes, holiday fare, and more.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,515,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible