Ya-Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells

Ya-Yas in Bloom

by Rebecca Wells

Disappointing. I loved the original Ya Ya book: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, as it examined the different strains of being a strong, loving woman. Among other things, anyway. Ya-Ya's in Bloom lacks the magic, is a pale reflection of Rebecca Wells' earlier work, and I found the central plot of a child being kidnapped unnecessarily dramatic. That said, the book is still an easy, accessible and enjoyable read, just not original or particularly meaningful.

"Little Altars Everywhere" was a little too harsh, but "Ya Yas in Bloom" was too sugary. This book was a little too happy to be from the same family as the other two books - it's like "Little Altars Everywhere" contains all the worst memories, "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" contains the bittersweet memories and reconciliation, and this book only contains the ridiculously sugar-coated memories where nothing really went wrong. I just have trouble believing they are all part of the same family because they do not seem like the same people. Also it was kind of random to put those stories about Myrtis and Edyth Spevey in this volume towards the end - Edythe is only mentioned once in "Little Altars Everywhere" and it just seemed really out of place to bring in these characters at the last minute when the rest of the books are about other people. I still think "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" is the best of the three and the only one that really holds together well. The rest are just not organized as well.

Another thing that I did not like was the fact that out of the four Walker children, we only read the POV of Sidda and Baylor. It's like Little Shep and Lulu don't even exist in their adult life. All in all this book felt rushed, it really feels like an obligation to the publishers and/or public, and not at all a book that Rebecca Wells wanted to write. All of the crucial stories of Vivi and Sidda and most of the other Ya Yas have already been told, which leaves only space for random tales from the other kids' lives. Which is okay, but since we don't really know them (other than Sidda's perception of them), it's hard to care too much about them. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Apr 14, 2016 |
Vivi and the Ya-Ya's are at it again, being in the center of attention again. This time it we see in the lives of other people in their crazy life. Baylor, Vivi and Big Sheps youngest son is the main person in this one, where Siddalee was the focus in the Divine Secrets.

I liked the book, didn't love it but liked it. It was good to see the interactions between the Petites and the Ya-Ya's as well as how the Tres Petites are now becoming the best of friends especially Lee-Lee, named after her godmother Sidda, and Roselyn, the granddaughter of Niece.

Now that I am done with this series its time to move on and finish another one, a goal in my life lol, finish the series' I've started. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
The follow-on to "Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood", this relates how the YaYa's met and their families after they all married. It's anecdotal and cute, funny at times, sad at times...I liked it. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I was SOOOoo disappointed in this book. It lacks any of the power of the earlier books. The Characters are mostly all here, but the book just lacks focus. NOT recommended for anyone. If I could give it ZERO stars, I would. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not as good as Divine Secrets, but better than Little Altars. Quite honestly, I don't remember a whole lot about it and I've read it much more recently than the other two. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060195347, Hardcover)

For readers everywhere who are ga-ga for the Ya-Yas and clamoring for more and for those who are lucky enough to be discovering the Ya-Yas for the first time, comes a new book about the incomparable Sisterhood, bursting with life and funnier than ever....

An emotionally charged addition to Rebecca Wells' award-winning bestseller Little Altars Everywhere and #1 New York Times bestseller Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, YA-YAS IN BLOOM reveals the roots of the Ya-Yas' friendship in the 1930s and roars with all the raw power of Vivi Abbott Walker's 1962 T-Bird through sixty years of marriage, child-raising, and hair-raising family secrets.

When four-year-old Teensy Whitman prisses one time too many and stuffs a big old pecan up her nose, she sets off the chain of events that lead Vivi, Teensy, Caro, and Necie to become true sister-friends. Told in alternating voices of Vivi and the Petite Ya-Yas, Siddalee and Baylor Walker, as well as other denizens of Thornton, Louisiana, YA-YAS IN BLOOM show us the Ya-Yas in love and at war with convention. Through crises of faith and hilarious lapses of parenting skills, brushes with alcoholism and glimpses of the dark reality of racial bigotry, the Ya-Ya values of unconditional loyalty, high style, and Cajun sass shine through. Necies wise credo, "Just think pretty pink and blue thoughts," helps too...

But in the Ya-Yas' inimitable way, these four remarkable women also teach their children about the Mysteries: the wonder of snow in the deep South, the possibility that humans are made of stars, and the belief that miracles do happen. And they need a miracle when old grudges and wounded psyches lead to a heartbreaking crime...and the dynamic web of sisterhood is the only safety net strong enough to hold families together and endure.

After two bestsellers and a blockbuster movie, the Ya-Yas have become part of American culture -- icons for the power of women's friendship. YA-YAS IN BLOOM continues the saga, giving us more Ya-Ya lore, spun out in the rich patois of the Louisiana bayou country and brim full of the Ya-Ya message to embrace life and each other with joy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

YA-YAS in Bloom reveals the roots of the Ya-Yas' friendship in the 1930s and roars with all the raw power of Vivi Abbott Walker's 1962 T-Bird through sixty years of marriage, child-raising, and hair-raising family secrets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,723,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible