The Lady Most Likely

The Lady Most Likely (edition 2010)

Member:annie-b
Title:The Lady Most Likely
Authors:
Info:Avon Books 2010-12-28 (2010), Paperback
Rating:**
Tags:romance, adult

The Lady Most Likely...: A Novel in Three Parts by Julia Quinn (Contributor)

I got my copy and I finished Julia Quinn's part! It was amazingly romantic!! But I am not sure I like Connie's part and she is right in the middle!! I don't want to be mean... but I wish Julia wrote the whole book!! Okay now that I am half through Connie Brockway's part, I am glad!! She is doing a great job carrying the story through and the whole "4 years ago" is so romantic!! Eloisa James's part was hot, hot, hot!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
A three-part novel set in 1817, which is really three connected novellas by three different authors. The idea is that Hugh, Earl of Briarly, has decided to take a wife. He asks his sister to produce a list of eligible young ladies; she does so, and then organises a house part to which they and various other friends are invited.

The first two parts of the novel are about two of these ladies falling in love with other men, and the final part features Hugh and the lady (not on his list) with whom it was obvious in the first chapter that he was going to end up marrying. Somewhat predictable, but that's not a problem - this genre of romantic story usually is.

Unfortunately, the storylines are thin, almost devoid of conflict, and the characterisation poor. The first part was written in a muddle of modern and 19th century language, and did not feel at all authentic; the second part worked better from that point of view, and was my favourite of the three sections. The final part also works well from the writing point of view, but ends with a very raunchy scene which added nothing to the novel, and which was so entirely out of character for the people concerned that it didn't work at all.

Add to that a rather annoying number of anachronisms, and even some jarring Americanisms (which wouldn't have been a problem for a contemporary novel but were quite out of place in an early 19th century stately home) and I really wasn't very impressed. The idea of the collaboration was intriguing, but the final result, of three rather dull novellas, was something of a disappointment.

Still, it would probably make good holiday reading as it's fairly fluffy and undemanding. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Such fun! Totally cotton candy and sometimes that's just what a rainy weekend needs. A solidly well crafted novel -- I especially loved the dialogue! ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I really wanted to like this book--it's a great idea (three authors combining into one story instead of the typical three novella approach). The writing was fine, but the stories fell a bit flat. I didn't get that feeling that any of the protagonists were 'meant for each other' like you do with a really good romance novel. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Quinn, JuliaContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brockway, ConnieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James, EloisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the wonderfully funny, cheerful people who visit Connie's, Eloisa's, and Julia's Facebook Fan pages. We have so much fun with you — we hope you have fun reading this book!
After years of inducing giggles, squawks, and outright bellows of laughter, Hugh Theodore Dunne, Earl of Briarly, understood perfectly well that an older brother exists primarily for the amusement of this younger sisters.
Please do not combine individual stories with the complete anthology. This is important because many of the stories are available in multiple anthologies, and also as single titles.

Anthology contains:
Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James
The Golden Season by Connie Brockway

Three of the brightest stars of historical romance invite you to a party at the country home of the Honorable Marquess of Finchley
Hugh Dunne, the Earl of Briarly, needs a wife, so his sister hands him a list of delectable damsels and promises to invite them— and a few other gentlemen—to her country house for what is sure to be the event of the season.
Hugh will have time to woo whichever lady he most desires . . . Unless someone else snatches her first.
The invitation list includes:
The horse-mad but irresistibly handsome Earl of BriarlyThe always outspoken Miss Katherine PeytonThe dashing war hero Captain Neill OakesThe impossibly beautiful (and painfully shy) Miss Gwendolyn PassmoreThe terribly eligible new Earl of ChartersThe widowed Lady Georgina Sorrell (who has no plans to marry, ever)And your hostess, Lady Carolyn Finchley, an irrepressible matchmaker who plans to find the lady most likely . . . to capture her brother’s untamed heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061247820, Mass Market Paperback)

The invitation list includes:

The horse-mad but irresistibly handsome Earl of Briarly The always outspoken Miss Katherine Peyton The dashing war hero Captain Neill Oakes The impossibly beautiful (and painfully shy) Miss Gwendolyn Passmore The terribly eligible new Earl of Charters The widowed Lady Georgina Sorrell (who has no plans to marry, ever)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:28 -0400)

In a Regency novel told in three parts by three different authors, Hugh Dunne, the Earl of Briarly, throws the party of the season at his sister's country home, with the aim of finding a suitable wife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible