I married adventure : the lives and…

I married adventure : the lives and adventures of Martin and Osa Johnson (1940)

by Osa Johnson

193461,059 (3.95)8

I believe I liked this book, but my life and Politics were taking up all my diary entries and on Aug 15 I merely noted: "Read book." ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 9, 2013 |
The is a great read. Martin and Osa Johnson recorded a world that no longer exists. There are many very interesting photographs of African animals and people in that bygone era. ( )
  livelyb | Feb 3, 2013 |
The story of a married couple who were friends with Jack London who were pioneers in photographing and later filming wild life in Africa
at the turn of the 19th. century. ( )
  seaskys | May 21, 2012 |
fascinating bio from husband and wife team ( )
  moreta6 | Oct 22, 2011 |
With all my love, I dedicate this book to the memory of my husband, whose work will be an everlasting monument to his heroic dreams and indefatigable spirit.
In light of the placid expectation that because I was born in Chanute, Kansas, I would grow up, marry, raise a family, and die there, I find it amusing to recall a certain hot September day of my seventh year, when I asked my father for ten cents.

Osa Johnson's travel adventures and explorations come across as vibrantly today as they did when they were written in 1940. They're richer now with the added perspective of history, and the added wealth of Martin Johnson's photographs of charging elephants, reposing lions, and head hunters roasting heads, marshmallow-like, over a campfire. The life the Johnsons led was nothing like the life Osa expected. From 1917 to 1937 she and Martin were visiting and filming cannibals in the New Hebrides, orangutans in Borneo, and the rich gamut of wildlife available on safari in Kenya and the Congo. Osa led a life the likes of which won't be seen again, and she tells a good story, too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible