My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate…

My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales (2010)

by Kate Bernheimer (Editor)

Other authors: Kim Addonizio (Contributor), Chris Adrian (Contributor), Rabih Alameddine (Contributor), Naoko Awa (Contributor), Aimee Bender (Contributor)38 more, Kate Berhneimer (Introduction), Kate Bernheimer (Contributor), Francesca Lia Block (Contributor), Karen Brennan (Contributor), Kevin Brockmeier (Contributor), Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum (Contributor), Lucy Corin (Contributor), Michael Cunningham (Contributor), Kathryn Davis (Contributor), Rikki Ducornet (Contributor), Brian Evenson (Contributor), Karen Joy Fowler (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Lily Hoang (Contributor), Hiromi Ito (Contributor), Shelley Jackson (Contributor), Ilya Kaminsky (Contributor), Jonathon Keats (Contributor), Neil LaBute (Contributor), Kelly Link (Contributor), Gregory Maguire (Foreword), Sabrina Orah Mark (Contributor), Michael Martone (Contributor), Joyelle McSweeney (Contributor), Michael Mejia (Contributor), Lydia Millet (Contributor), Alissa Nutting (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Ludmilla Petrushevskaya (Contributor), Francine Prose (Contributor), Stacey Richter (Contributor), Marjorie Sandor (Contributor), Timothy Schaffert (Contributor), Jim Shepard (Contributor), John Updike (Contributor), Katherine Vaz (Contributor), Kellie Wells (Contributor), Joy Williams (Contributor)

4662022,239 (3.57)48

Like the bedtime stories of childhood, these new fairy tales transform the reader's world into something a little like allegory and a little like a fun house mirror. These tales are moths: owned by the dark realms of imagination even as they yearn for the pyrogenic light of reality. They flutter in the shadows where the conscious mind cannot see clearly.

IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
Had to return it.
  Chrisbookarama | Sep 23, 2013 |
Sarah Montambo and Marie saw me looking longingly at this morbid book, picking it up to read the back and putting it down several times, and since they're both generous, attentive, kind, and LOADED$$$...j/k on that last one, but the rest of it is true and they got me this book! Present!!

It looks much cooler than it's turning out to be, for my uncultured and poorly educated taste. But I love it for being a gift from friends who noticed and acted. Who has people like that in their lives? Lucky ones. That would include me.

Thank you, Sarah Montambo and Marie! I'm glad to know you both!
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
Gah, I hate rating anthologies. How are you supposed to do that? Do you just begin at the top and start substracting half a star for every lame story you find? It seems unfair. So I'm giving this 5 stars because I absolutely love the idea and because there were a more than a few stories in it that were great, either in concept or execution.

It was interesting that the ones I liked the most weren't always the ones inspired in tales I already knew (incidentally, how did I not know about Catskin? Its retelling is one of the best stories in the book, if only because it's the one that best brings back that dreamlike, suspended feeling of reading classic fairy tales).

Most of the The Wild Swans spinoffs were awesome, but not all of the Bluebeard references were. And I was only meh about both the Snow Queen and The Little Match Girl references, which sucked, seeing as those are probably my favoritest storiestest ever.

I didn't really care though, because half the fun of reading this book comes from working at reaching those conclusions. Tracing back the stories to their sources, pondering where exactly the twist is, carefully sampling the tone and whining at the result? That's what reading metafiction is all about.

Seriously though, there are far more great stories here than I dared to hope. And it also brought back a few tales I didn't even know I remembered, which was a nice bonus. Great fun. ( )
  beabatllori | Apr 2, 2013 |
Finally finished it, and my first impression was pretty much it. I liked maybe five of the stories. Not one I would pass around to friends; most authors are just too self-consciously literary and high-brow for their stories to be enjoyable (or understandable).
________________

I expected this to be dark and disturbing, but the first few stories just go beyond what I was expecting. It also has a bit too much of a thread of "aren't I literary and smart and just so awesome" from the authors. I'm not sure why, as I don't know who most of these people are, but they seem convinced that they're pretty great and it comes through clearly in some of the stories.

I took the collection with me to my parent's house and didn't bother packing it to bring it back with me. I'll probably pick it up to give it another chance when I visit again. Plus, I haven't read the Neil Gaiman story yet! ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Updike, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaz, KatherineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, KellieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, JoyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014311784X, Paperback)

The fairy tale lives again in this book of forty new stories by some of the biggest names in contemporary fiction.

Michael Cunningham, Francine Prose, Aimee Bender, Kelly Link, Jim Shepard, and more than thirty other extraordinary writers celebrate fairy tales in this thrilling new volume. Inspire by everything from Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" and "The Little Match Girl" to Charles Perrault's "Bluebeard" and "Cinderella" to the Brothers Grimm's "Hansel and Gretel" and "Rumpelstiltskin" to fairy tales by Goethe and Calvino and from China, Japan, Vietnam, Russia, Norway, and Mexico, here are stories that soar into boundless realms, filled with mischief and mystery and magic, and renewed by the lifeblood of invention. Although rooted in hundreds of years of tradition, they chart the imaginative frontiers of the twenty-first century as powerfully as they evoke our earliest encounters with literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

The founder of the literary journal "Fairy Tale Review" collects stories inspired by classic fairy tales and written by such authors as Joyce Carol Oates, John Updike, Francine Prose, Kevin Brockmeier, and Shelley Jackson.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible