The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry

The Fry Chronicles (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Stephen Fry

Title:The Fry Chronicles
Authors:Stephen Fry
Info:London : Michael Joseph, 2010.
Tags:Read 2012 November

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry (2010)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
Fry Chronicles is a fun, very witty and quite brilliant book. As well as being an honest and revealing look into his early life, it also offers a great view into the era of comedy when he was starting out. The amount of people he remembers, and has met, is amazing. His vivid description of the life in Cambridge is truly a treat.
Sometimes his apologetic way of writing does get overbearing, almost as if he would justify his own shortcomings as long as he recognizes them first and acknowledges them too. But one cannot but help to admire his honesty and verbal skill. A brilliant read for anyone with a fondness for the British. Or actors. Or Stephen Fry. Or Cambridgeans.
  Heps | Nov 25, 2015 |
Only Stephen Fry could write over 400 pages of his life, still not get to the parts I'm interested in, and have me be happy regardless. Nice to read about the beginnings of his relationship with Hugh Laurie... ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 24, 2015 |
Sorry, Stephen: love your work, love QI, love SF in America. But this is so much self-indulgent drivel I really couldnt bring myself to finish it. A nauseating self-portrait of privilege and fame, the constant name-checking, the "lovely" people...etc, etc, etc. A huge disappointment. ( )
  fizzypops | May 21, 2015 |
I shouldn't have liked this book.

It details life in Cambridge University and blinds with references to classical literature, Wagner, playwrights and grand English life. I am bamboozled with the names of a lot these cultural figures and most mean nothing to me. These are not things I am interested in. This is a recipe for a poor read.

Except the way Stephen Fry tells it I AM interested in all these things. His use of unnecessarily intricate language is quaint and quirky rather than mind-numbing. His self deprecating comments come across as honest rather than whining.

In conclusion I should have hated it.

Instead, I really liked it. ( )
  bkmeredith | Oct 23, 2014 |
The latest of Fry's autobiographies, this one covers some of his school years, Cambridge, the beginning years of show business and many years since. He discusses his relationships with people such as Emma Thompson, Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie, that famous article about his celibacy, and his feelings about depression and bi-polar disorder. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 22, 2014 |
This is, above all else, a thoughtful book. And namedroppy too, and funny, and marbled with melancholy throughout. Its camaraderie of tone lets it wear its learning lightly yet leaves you with a hoaching number of new insights, new ways of looking at things, from snobbery to reality-TV contestants. The mask is now firmly on, and he grows into it each day, not least early last week in the Festival Hall, at his mammoth broadcast book launch, when he strode on stage as if lent – no, willingly given, for ever – the confidence of half of England, and was welcomed with the roars and love of the other half. Yet this book is a painfully honest attempt to tear the mask aside, for us. We are, if we are not damnably incurious, splendidly the better for it.
To M'Coll
I really must stop saying sorry; it doesn't make things any better or worse.
And, of course, no reason why anyone should care. Unless you are curious, in which case I love you, for curiosity about the world and all it's corners is a beautiful thing, even if those corners are as uncool as the cloisters of Oxbridge.
If you are hungry for food you are prepared to hunt high and low for it. If you are hungry for information it is the same. Information is all around us, now more than ever before in human history. You are barely able to stir or incommode yourself to find things out. The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.
I loathed committee meetings then and I loathe them now. My whole life has been a fight to avoid them as much as possible. A losing fight. I would so much rather do things than talk about doing them. Those who sit in committee rooms rule the world, of course, which is lovely if that is what you want to do, but those who rule the world get so little opportunity to run about and laugh and play in it.
The human cultural jungle should be as varied and plural as the Amazonian rainforest. We are all richer for biodiversity. We may decide that a puma is worth more to us than a caterpillar, but surely we can agree that the habitat is all the better for being able to sustain each. Monocultures are uninhabitably dull and end as deserts.

Much loved by the public and his peers, Stephen Fry is one of the most influential cultural forces in Britain. This dazzling memoir promises to be a courageously frank, honest and poignant read. It details some of the most turbulent and least well known years of his life with writing that will excite you, make you laugh uproariously, move you, inform you and, above all, surprise you.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141041587, 0141039809

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible