The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry

The Fry Chronicles (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Stephen Fry

Member:crazysparklecat
Title:The Fry Chronicles
Authors:Stephen Fry
Info:London : Michael Joseph, 2010.
Tags:Read 2012 November

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry (2010)

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
There's an awful lot of "I" even for an autobiography. He's funny it's true, smart too, it's true, awkwardly honest in a i-hope-you-will-like-me-more-for-my-self-deprecation kind of way. Earnestly trying to be relaxed. But a fascinating man, with such a love of language. He describes a generously admiring and warm view of his famous friends. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I'd rate this somewhere between 2 and 3 stars...it was okay, sometimes quite amusing but mostly I got sick of Fry talking about how hard it's been to accept the fact that he has talent. I liked Stephen Fry a lot better before I read this book and I won't read any others. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Usually interesting, occasionally dry, occasionally laugh out loud, look at Stephen Fry's life from his college years to his first steps out into the world of entertainment, with wanderings into his life here and there as the mood takes him. At times an uncomfortably honest look at himself, which resonates with this reader. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Fry Chronicles is a fun, very witty and quite brilliant book. As well as being an honest and revealing look into his early life, it also offers a great view into the era of comedy when he was starting out. The amount of people he remembers, and has met, is amazing. His vivid description of the life in Cambridge is truly a treat.
Sometimes his apologetic way of writing does get overbearing, almost as if he would justify his own shortcomings as long as he recognizes them first and acknowledges them too. But one cannot but help to admire his honesty and verbal skill. A brilliant read for anyone with a fondness for the British. Or actors. Or Stephen Fry. Or Cambridgeans.
  Heps | Nov 25, 2015 |
Only Stephen Fry could write over 400 pages of his life, still not get to the parts I'm interested in, and have me be happy regardless. Nice to read about the beginnings of his relationship with Hugh Laurie... ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 24, 2015 |
This is, above all else, a thoughtful book. And namedroppy too, and funny, and marbled with melancholy throughout. Its camaraderie of tone lets it wear its learning lightly yet leaves you with a hoaching number of new insights, new ways of looking at things, from snobbery to reality-TV contestants. The mask is now firmly on, and he grows into it each day, not least early last week in the Festival Hall, at his mammoth broadcast book launch, when he strode on stage as if lent – no, willingly given, for ever – the confidence of half of England, and was welcomed with the roars and love of the other half. Yet this book is a painfully honest attempt to tear the mask aside, for us. We are, if we are not damnably incurious, splendidly the better for it.

To M'Coll
I really must stop saying sorry; it doesn't make things any better or worse.
And, of course, no reason why anyone should care. Unless you are curious, in which case I love you, for curiosity about the world and all it's corners is a beautiful thing, even if those corners are as uncool as the cloisters of Oxbridge.
If you are hungry for food you are prepared to hunt high and low for it. If you are hungry for information it is the same. Information is all around us, now more than ever before in human history. You are barely able to stir or incommode yourself to find things out. The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.
I loathed committee meetings then and I loathe them now. My whole life has been a fight to avoid them as much as possible. A losing fight. I would so much rather do things than talk about doing them. Those who sit in committee rooms rule the world, of course, which is lovely if that is what you want to do, but those who rule the world get so little opportunity to run about and laugh and play in it.
The human cultural jungle should be as varied and plural as the Amazonian rainforest. We are all richer for biodiversity. We may decide that a puma is worth more to us than a caterpillar, but surely we can agree that the habitat is all the better for being able to sustain each. Monocultures are uninhabitably dull and end as deserts.

Much loved by the public and his peers, Stephen Fry is one of the most influential cultural forces in Britain. This dazzling memoir promises to be a courageously frank, honest and poignant read. It details some of the most turbulent and least well known years of his life with writing that will excite you, make you laugh uproariously, move you, inform you and, above all, surprise you.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141041587, 0141039809

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible