The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry

The Fry Chronicles (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Stephen Fry

Member:crazysparklecat
Title:The Fry Chronicles
Authors:Stephen Fry
Info:London : Michael Joseph, 2010.
Tags:Read 2012 November

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry (2010)

Recently added byNutopia, joebtsflk, Xickie, private library, chris.constant, DM1313, dm13, jhbourne, Wita.Salmal
2011 (5) 21st century (9) actors (10) audiobook (10) autobiographical (5) autobiography (170) biography (87) Britain (5) British (8) British literature (5) comedy (21) ebook (17) England (9) English (7) Fry (6) humor (32) Kindle (11) memoir (46) non-fiction (84) read (10) read in 2010 (5) read in 2011 (5) signed (7) Stephen Fry (19) television (8) theatre (7) to-read (29) UK (5) unread (7) writers (6)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
The latest of Fry's autobiographies, this one covers some of his school years, Cambridge, the beginning years of show business and many years since. He discusses his relationships with people such as Emma Thompson, Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie, that famous article about his celibacy, and his feelings about depression and bi-polar disorder. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 22, 2014 |
I have such mixed feelings about this book. It was fun and light to read, and in places offered a little insight into who Stephen Fry is and behind the scenes of those old tv shows you love, Blackadder and Fry and Laurie, as well as how musicals get made and the processes in their success.

But it was all touched on so lightly, it was only mentioned, in a great rush, as if he was quickly trying to catch you up with what he had been up to before one of you had to get off the bus. The book read mostly like a list of accomplishments. There were set pieces that described his insecurity but they didn't blend with the rest of the book.

I would have liked more depth, and more variety. Nearly everyone in the book is described as brilliantly talented and friendly and usually an old friend from oxford or cambridge. There is no rising and falling, no mood swings, no heartache and despite telling us there was, there doesnt feel like there is any doubt or hesitation or pain. Its just ten years of things going amazingly swimmingly with little effort. Was there any effort? I imagine there must have been but it is hardly mentioned. He writes of the work he puts in but it doesnt feel like you are reading about the work.

Perhaps this is a result of his style of writing, he has a light touch that is less suited to autobiography? I dont know. It wasnt a problem for 'Moab'. 'Moab' had much more of what this one lacked: struggle. If this was just how his life was, then it does unfortunately make for a bland autobiography. ( )
  Edvard | Jan 19, 2014 |
Fascinating insight into his life. I came to Fry via Jeeves and Wooster and some of his other comedy. Didn't know very much about his early life and some of his troubles. Thoroughly recommend this if he is someone you have watched. I listened to the audio version and it was great having Fry tell you the story himself. With his references to the reader, and listeners it's as though there are only the two of you. ( )
  autumngirl70 | Nov 30, 2013 |
Enjoyable part 2 of his (evidently) 3 part autobiography. I hadn't read part 1 - so I was a little in the dark. But this covered his years from the start of University to the start of his fame, Blackadder, et al. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Although at times rather too self-deprecating, you really do get a sense of Fry's personality and his mindset (particularly in terms of his mental illness). Thoroughly enjoyable, Fry is an eloquent writer, but who would have expected anything less? ( )
  wildeaboutoscar | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is, above all else, a thoughtful book. And namedroppy too, and funny, and marbled with melancholy throughout. Its camaraderie of tone lets it wear its learning lightly yet leaves you with a hoaching number of new insights, new ways of looking at things, from snobbery to reality-TV contestants. The mask is now firmly on, and he grows into it each day, not least early last week in the Festival Hall, at his mammoth broadcast book launch, when he strode on stage as if lent – no, willingly given, for ever – the confidence of half of England, and was welcomed with the roars and love of the other half. Yet this book is a painfully honest attempt to tear the mask aside, for us. We are, if we are not damnably incurious, splendidly the better for it.

To M'Coll
I really must stop saying sorry; it doesn't make things any better or worse.
And, of course, no reason why anyone should care. Unless you are curious, in which case I love you, for curiosity about the world and all it's corners is a beautiful thing, even if those corners are as uncool as the cloisters of Oxbridge.
If you are hungry for food you are prepared to hunt high and low for it. If you are hungry for information it is the same. Information is all around us, now more than ever before in human history. You are barely able to stir or incommode yourself to find things out. The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.
I loathed committee meetings then and I loathe them now. My whole life has been a fight to avoid them as much as possible. A losing fight. I would so much rather do things than talk about doing them. Those who sit in committee rooms rule the world, of course, which is lovely if that is what you want to do, but those who rule the world get so little opportunity to run about and laugh and play in it.
The human cultural jungle should be as varied and plural as the Amazonian rainforest. We are all richer for biodiversity. We may decide that a puma is worth more to us than a caterpillar, but surely we can agree that the habitat is all the better for being able to sustain each. Monocultures are uninhabitably dull and end as deserts.

Much loved by the public and his peers, Stephen Fry is one of the most influential cultural forces in Britain. This dazzling memoir promises to be a courageously frank, honest and poignant read. It details some of the most turbulent and least well known years of his life with writing that will excite you, make you laugh uproariously, move you, inform you and, above all, surprise you.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141041587, 0141039809

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible