The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

The Girl in the Gatehouse (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Julie Klassen

Member:Maggie21
Title:The Girl in the Gatehouse
Authors:Julie Klassen
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2011), Edition: Reprinted, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Historical, Romance, Mystery

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen (2010)

I picked this up at the library when I realized it was a Julie Klassen book I hadn't read. Banished after bringing shame to herself, Mariah is sent to live her life in an abandoned gatehouse on the property of a distant aunt. Needing to support herself, she writes novels under a masculine name. When the new resident of the estate moves in, he discovers Mariah and curious about her, he sets out to discover her secrets.

This was a delightful novel with lots of secrets and suspense and a few laughs. Mariah wants to discover the secrets of the estate and how the house behind the estate with its quirky old man and his spyglass fits into the picture. Matthew wants to discover the secrets about Mariah. It's a terrific read and fans of Julie Klassen will definitely enjoy it. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
I picked up The Girl in the Gatehouse because I was looking for a clean historical romance. I thought it looked interesting, though, for the record, I'm not a fan of "all things Jane" as is Julie Klassen. Sure, I've watched Pride and Prejudice a few times, but that's more because I'm a fan of (almost) all things Colin Firth, if you know what I mean. I've never even read Jane Eyre. (Sacrilege for a romance writer to admit, right?)

I soon realized this was not the first novel I had read by Ms. Klassen. I also read The Painter's Daughter several months ago. There was something about the style and cadence that felt familiar.

Both books are exceptionally well written and very enjoyable. Both also start with a heroine who is a "fallen woman," not because of extreme moral failings on her part, but because of her willingness to believe the promises of others. However, the novels do not follow the same script, so it was not like reading the same book over again in a different setting. (Don't you just hate that?)

In a time when the consequences of such an indiscretion fall almost completely on the woman, Mariah has had to come to grips with a new reality quickly. She's a very mature heroine, something I really like. But, while she's wary, she doesn't close herself off from all relationships with the world.

Her kind-heartedness draws a wonderful secondary cast of characters about her, and they are one of the true delights of the story. I found myself rooting for her companion's blossoming romance(s), and felt Miss Dixon's pain when she had to choose between two worthy men. The other characters who fill her life feel as though they were placed there by a divine hand to provide her just the right insight and guidance. I loved them all. (OK, with the exception of Hugh, who was pretty much a villain.)

The hero, Captain Matthew Bryant, is almost the perfect hero. The reason I say almost is because I never quite understood his desire to impress the woman who threw him over. He seems too level-headed to have been attracted to someone so shallow, but who can fathom the ways of men, eh? His interactions with Mariah are every bit as sweet as one would expect from this type of romance. ( )
  MaryJeanAdams | May 30, 2016 |
Good story telling, but incredibly predictable. ( )
  laverack | Dec 3, 2015 |
I enjoyed this one---not as much as some of her others, but more than a couple of her earlier ones that I've read. I'm a little annoyed at the cover art as her dress is not period authentic...well, her underpinnings obviously aren't...but I'm not sure that actually counts as being applicable to this review. Ha! ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Jul 1, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764207083, Paperback)

Miss Mariah Aubrey, banished after a scandal, hides herself away in a long-abandoned gatehouse on the far edge of a distant relative's estate. There, she supports herself and her loyal servant the only way she knows how--by writing novels in secret.

Captain Matthew Bryant, returning to England successful and wealthy after the Napoleonic wars, leases an impressive estate from a cash-poor nobleman, determined to show the society beauty who once rejected him what a colossal mistake she made. When he discovers an old gatehouse on the property, he is immediately intrigued by its striking young inhabitant and sets out to uncover her identity, and her past. But the more he learns about her, the more he realizes he must distance himself. Falling in love with an outcast would ruin his well-laid plans.

The old gatehouse holds secrets of its own. Can Mariah and Captain Bryant uncover them before the cunning heir to the estate buries them forever?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

In this Jane Austen-era romance, a handsome new estate owner discovers a mysterious woman living on his property and he's determined to uncover her secrets.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,439,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible