The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

The Girl in the Gatehouse (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Julie Klassen

Member:Maggie21
Title:The Girl in the Gatehouse
Authors:Julie Klassen
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2011), Edition: Reprinted, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Historical, Romance, Mystery

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen (2010)

I picked up The Girl in the Gatehouse because I was looking for a clean historical romance. I thought it looked interesting, though, for the record, I'm not a fan of "all things Jane" as is Julie Klassen. Sure, I've watched Pride and Prejudice a few times, but that's more because I'm a fan of (almost) all things Colin Firth, if you know what I mean. I've never even read Jane Eyre. (Sacrilege for a romance writer to admit, right?)

I soon realized this was not the first novel I had read by Ms. Klassen. I also read The Painter's Daughter several months ago. There was something about the style and cadence that felt familiar.

Both books are exceptionally well written and very enjoyable. Both also start with a heroine who is a "fallen woman," not because of extreme moral failings on her part, but because of her willingness to believe the promises of others. However, the novels do not follow the same script, so it was not like reading the same book over again in a different setting. (Don't you just hate that?)

In a time when the consequences of such an indiscretion fall almost completely on the woman, Mariah has had to come to grips with a new reality quickly. She's a very mature heroine, something I really like. But, while she's wary, she doesn't close herself off from all relationships with the world.

Her kind-heartedness draws a wonderful secondary cast of characters about her, and they are one of the true delights of the story. I found myself rooting for her companion's blossoming romance(s), and felt Miss Dixon's pain when she had to choose between two worthy men. The other characters who fill her life feel as though they were placed there by a divine hand to provide her just the right insight and guidance. I loved them all. (OK, with the exception of Hugh, who was pretty much a villain.)

The hero, Captain Matthew Bryant, is almost the perfect hero. The reason I say almost is because I never quite understood his desire to impress the woman who threw him over. He seems too level-headed to have been attracted to someone so shallow, but who can fathom the ways of men, eh? His interactions with Mariah are every bit as sweet as one would expect from this type of romance. ( )
  MaryJeanAdams | May 30, 2016 |
Good story telling, but incredibly predictable. ( )
  laverack | Dec 3, 2015 |
I enjoyed this one---not as much as some of her others, but more than a couple of her earlier ones that I've read. I'm a little annoyed at the cover art as her dress is not period authentic...well, her underpinnings obviously aren't...but I'm not sure that actually counts as being applicable to this review. Ha! ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Jul 1, 2014 |
If you like Jane Austin and her writings, you will probably fall in love with this story. It was very well done, but for me it was not one of those "can't put down until I finish the book" type story. I enjoyed myself while I was reading it, but wasn't a book I thought about or wondered what would happen next as I closed the book and did something else. I thought the cover of the book was an excellent picture of the the gatehouse and the girl who lived there.

Mariah Aubrey has been banished from her home because of a mistake she made and now must live with in secret. A distant relative lets her come and stay in an old gatehouse in need of repair and a good cleaning. Mariah arrives with her traveling companion, Miss Dixon and the two of them begin their life in the gatehouse.

Captain Matthew Bryant arrives on the scene when Mariah's distant relative dies and he rents out the estate house with the hope of one day owning it. He meets Mariah and a friendship slowly takes place. But Mariah has secrets she is not sharing with anyone. And there are more secrets and mysteries as you get to know all the characters in this story.

A story with mystery and intrigue and a sweet romance that slowly develops over time. The characters in this story were all interesting to get to know and it was set in the early 1800's at a time when many things were handled differently back then. I could easily see this made into a movie, which I would very much enjoy watching. ( )
  judyg54 | Mar 13, 2014 |
Where to begin... I was expecting a wonderful whirlwind regency romance. I really do like Jane Austen but Klassen did not know how to write a regency romance. It took too long to become even the least bit interesting. Mariah has too much self pity. Throughout the whole book she complains about her sadness. I really wanted to yell, "Get over yourself!" And the cute little story Matthew writes to Mariah was a little too "cute". One thing I did not like at all were Klassen's "jump cuts". I took me forever to get used to it. I mean you would be reading a chapter that had a conversation or a meeting at the end of it but it would cut off right in the middle of either. It was ridiculous. She would just drop it. Some chapters were weeks apart. It was just too cutesy. And i love a good romance but I mean you put Matthew up to Jane Eyre's Mr. Rochester and Mr. Rochester becomes a real romantic. ( )
  Maggie21 | Jan 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764207083, Paperback)

Miss Mariah Aubrey, banished after a scandal, hides herself away in a long-abandoned gatehouse on the far edge of a distant relative's estate. There, she supports herself and her loyal servant the only way she knows how--by writing novels in secret.

Captain Matthew Bryant, returning to England successful and wealthy after the Napoleonic wars, leases an impressive estate from a cash-poor nobleman, determined to show the society beauty who once rejected him what a colossal mistake she made. When he discovers an old gatehouse on the property, he is immediately intrigued by its striking young inhabitant and sets out to uncover her identity, and her past. But the more he learns about her, the more he realizes he must distance himself. Falling in love with an outcast would ruin his well-laid plans.

The old gatehouse holds secrets of its own. Can Mariah and Captain Bryant uncover them before the cunning heir to the estate buries them forever?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

In this Jane Austen-era romance, a handsome new estate owner discovers a mysterious woman living on his property and he's determined to uncover her secrets.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible