Amy Goes Surfing by Julie Labossiere

Amy Goes Surfing

by Julie Labossiere

Recently added byKaelebsMomma, misswthrt, MysteeB, onyx95

In ‘Amy Goes Surfing’ by Julie Labossiere, young Amy has been taking surfing lessons and is ready to go out on her own to test her skills. While Amy is certain that she can do this alone, she’s also very anxious and a bit afraid. With the support of her family and mentor, Amy decides to take the plunge.

I felt like this was a great book for children. I read this to my 9 and 11 year old and they loved it. They felt like they could relate to Amy, as to there have been many instances where they too were nervous about something.

Anxiety is a normal part of life that everyone will experience many times over. No matter how confident you are, you will always doubt yourself. Julie Labossiere understands this and shows in a positive way that it’s perfectly okay to be scared and if you believe in yourself, you can achieve anything.

I believe this book is great for all elementary students. As far as reading alone, I feel that it’s appropriate for third grade level and up.

Way to go Julie! Another positive, yet realistic book that children can relate to their everyday lives. I look forward to reading ‘Amy Plays The Violin’ and ‘Amy Volunteers’. ( )
  KaelebsMomma | Nov 29, 2011 |
Amy has been learning to surf for weeks now and today is her first performance! Even though the performance is just for Amy’s family and friends, Amy is nervous and unconfident to be surfing on her own without her instructor Kirk. Kirk believes in Amy’s practice and determination. He is sure she will do great. Amy’s confidence is boosted by Kirk’s pep talk as she sets off to “catch” her debut wave. With practice, patience, confidence and determination Amy Goes Surfing!
Amy Goes Surfing is a cute book that helps teach the simple lesson of practice makes perfect. Amy learns that patience most often helps her remember what she has learned with lots of practice. The story is enjoyable though slightly repetitive at parts, due to Amy being nervous about surfing without Kirk. The book appears to be self published as I could not find a publishing company listed. On the back cover where it should say ISBN it says “IS N” which I felt needed to be included in this review for the author more than the reader.
Overall this book was fun and easy to read. The illustrations were very “surfer” like and interesting to look at. I enjoyed the color and appeal the pictures offered to the text. I haven’t seen many children’s books about surfing, making this one a pleasure to read with my daughter. I would suggest this book for children 4-8 years of age. It teaches a wonderful lesson hidden in a fun story about a girl who feels much like children do when they have to do something on their own for the first time. They are sure to enjoy all it has to offer.
Reviewed for Review the Book ( )
  misswthrt | Oct 20, 2010 |
This book captures the fact that you can learn to do anything that you decide to. Sometimes learning is tough, but if you really want to do it, you can. Julie also does a great job in expressing that sometimes, while trying, you will fail and that's OK.

Kids are so often worried about not being perfect or not doing something exactly right {even my 12 year old hesitates to try anything she's not positive that she's good at}.

By following Amy on her adventure in surfing, kids can learn that they can apply this to anything they want to do, not just surf. This is an excellent addition to your children's book shelves.

RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 45
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review. ( )
  MysteeB | Oct 1, 2010 |
Knowing today is the bid day for her to surf all by herself, Amy sits and starts to remember all her surfing instructor has taught her over the past few weeks. She still has to do this one alone and that concerns her for a moment. Until her surfing coach sits down and reminds her that she has done this many times before. She has talked about it, learned to paddle, tested her balance on the board and even surfed with him at her side before. The only difference today, he would wait for her on the shore. The practice was done, now it was time to surf. As Amy waited patiently for the right wave, she remembered every thing that he had told her. The she found the perfect wave and rode it to the shore and her families waiting arms. They were all so proud of her and they surfed with her the rest of the day.

Inspirational story about being able to do anything you set your mind to. I admired Amy’s desire to learn something new, to follow through with the whole process of learning it and then the final test of her courage, to do it all by herself. Even as scary as that thought was, she knew she had prepared for this ride and since it was something she had wanted for a long time and it was something that she had learned the right way to do, she knew that she could do it. She really enjoyed her ride back to the shore and seemed proud of herself in the end. Practice and patience are really great lessons for anyone, this story is geared for young readers or for reading aloud, with it’s plain wording, large print and great pictures. This would be a great addition to any youth library. ( )
  onyx95 | Aug 24, 2010 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,068,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible