To Kill A Warlock: Dulcie O'Neil Series…

To Kill A Warlock: Dulcie O'Neil Series (edition 2010)

by H.P. Mallory

Member:LLL808
Title:To Kill A Warlock: Dulcie O'Neil Series
Authors:H.P. Mallory
Info:CreateSpace (2010), Paperback, 208 pages

To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory

To be honest, I started to not even read this book. The Jolie books by Mallory are good, don't get me wrong, but Jolie comes across as an immature bubblehead who made me want to smack her upside the head and scream at her to get a grip! Turn off the vapid and, if you are going to have these powers and be endangered by them, it would be good to stop mooning over the guy and grow a backbone. . .

Dulcie, on the other hand, fights her own battles. She is strong, determined, and willing to take care of her own problems. She is still funny, the whole book will keep you laughing, but she is in no way ridiculous. She is snarky, opinionated, and very much the kind of paranormal heroine I enjoy reading.

Recommended to light paranormal/fantasy readers who like strong female characters with a lot of humour mixed in.
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
I imagine being a police officer is not the easiest job out there, but law enforcement dealing with supernaturals? Yikes. That might be a nightmare come to life.

To Kill a Warlock was a pretty quick (206 pages on the Nook) read. The character of Dulcie was interesting. For the most part she was a strong female character and was a fairy, which was unique twist. Her best friend, Sam, was okay. She didn’t really add as much to the story as you might’ve expected from someone’s best friend. The addition of the character, Knight, was fantastic. He was easily my favorite in To Kill a Warlock. There was enough description and dialogue surrounding Knight that it made him easily likable.

I did not enjoy the formulaic paranormal love triangle. It irritated me to have to read that, since it’s obviously only there for suspense purpose and to get you to pick up the second book (A Tale of Two Goblins). Having the character seemingly confused about their feelings for more than one person never fails to make me roll my eyes and clench my jaw in order to continue reading.

The plot itself was an interesting one. The author did a good job explaining this new world without it being obvious that it was happening. The only criticism I have is that almost nothing was resolved by the end of To Kill a Warlock. Have I mentioned how much I hate cliffhangers?

So, I did like To Kill a Warlock (it was free after all). I just wasn’t overly impressed by it and really don’t have any interest in continuing to read the Dulcie O’Neil series. I would not recommend To Kill a Warlock unless you’re a hardcore paranormal romance fan and like the novels that strictly follow a formula.

For more reviews, please check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com asap! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Mar 21, 2014 |
To Read My Review Go To My Blog Drugs Called Books ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
Pros:
* Interesting idea
* Interesting protagonist

Cons:
* Writing is meh
* Heavy reliance on brand names and pop culture references rather than descriptions
* Weird asides/comments to the reader

I know this is an indie-paranormal romance and maybe I'm just holding it to too high a standard. But these are things I would have crossed out as an editor and said, "write a real description." ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
This was a fun fun fun read. Really enjoyed it, just as much as Mallory's other series. Can't wait to read more! ( )
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |
There was no way in hell I was looking in the mirror.

The murder of a dark arts warlock.
A shape-shifting, ravenous creature on the loose.
A devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate.
Sometimes working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch.

The murder of a dark arts warlock. A shape-shifting, ravenous creature on the loose. A devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate. Sometimes working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch.

Dulcie O’Neil is a fairy. And not the type to frolic in gardens. She’s a Regulator—a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world.

When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she’s either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim.

Enter Knight Vander, a sinfully attractive investigator sent from the Netherworld to work the case with Dulcie.

Between battling her attraction to her self-appointed partner, keeping a sadomasochistic demon in check, and fending off the advances of a sexy and powerful vampire, Dulcie’s got her hands full.

As the body count increases, Dulcie finds herself battling dark magic, reconnoitering in S&M clubs and suffering the greatest of all betrayals.

DULCIE O’NEIL (Paranormal Romance Series):

Book 1: To Kill A Warlock
Book 2: A Tale of Two Goblins
Book 3: Great Hexpectations
Book 4: Wuthering Frights
Book 5: Malice In Wonderland
Book 6: For Whom The Spell Tolls

51 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,880,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible