First Stringers by Gerald M. Weinberg

First Stringers (edition 2010)

by Gerald M. Weinberg

Rating:*
Tags:fiction, read, USA, EarlyReviewer, #not-mzn, #not-wrd, reviewed

First Stringers: Eyes That Do Not See by Gerald M. Weinberg

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very light-weight read with rather too many typos and grammatical mistakes.
I think I might have enjoyed this when I was in my very early teens and my critical faculties were undeveloped, but now ... its just incredibly simplistic and lacking in depth. As another reviewer pointed out X-men with disabilities and probably better as a cartoon.
The plot is typical of its genre - bunch of kids with special talents overcome obstacles put in their way by government and the bad guys to come together and discover they are stronger together than on their own. ( )
  Vorobyey | Nov 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
this is the 3rd book i have received. i hated the first two. and i made the mistake of reading other peoples reviews before reading so i assumed i would hate this. i was wrong. i really liked the book. about halfway through it got really interesting and really held my attention. i think the writer will get better the more he writes and i would read more by him in the future.
  ElekNotreDame | May 13, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I feel slightly guilty about this review. I could not get into the book at all and abandoned it only a few chapters in. This is, I think, a failing on my part - since I could not see how the characters were due to interact, nor find anything compelling about them, I simply stopped reading. It may be that I will try to pick this up again at a later date, but I cannot see myself doing so right now. ( )
  xavierp | May 3, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The overall plot is a group of handicapped teens with superpowers form an alliance against the people hunting them and work together to control their abilities.

In reality we don’t get to that part of the book very quickly. Each chapter alternates between a different character and what is going on in their life. By fifty pages I had met several different characters but had very little idea what was going on. The writing is clunky, with frequent asides into the characters inner dialogue. The only character that was vaguely interesting was Ember, the blind girl trying to escape her father’s control. I didn’t care about what happened to any of the other characters. I kept trying to finish it, but I just couldn't make it. I can’t even say it’s worth trying. ( )
  readr | Feb 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was just okay for me. The title caught my eye and I thought I was going to learn a bit about string theory (I’m no scientist but ever since I started watching that TV show The Big Bang Theory I’ve wanted to learn more about physics and the theories they mention so I at least kind of know what’s going on). Unfortunately, the book was a real let-down in that aspect. I can’t tell you anymore about string theory now, after having read the book, than before I did. I’m not saying I was expecting to get a full scientific explanation from a work of fiction, but still, it seems like the author would’ve explained it just a little bit for us.

The premise was also very interesting in the beginning, but again, I ended up feeling shortchanged. Superheroes with handicaps like blindness, Down syndrome, and a crippled leg? Heck yes, that sounds fascinating! But again, the author didn’t take the time to explain much about their disabilities, and I wanted more of a back story for each of them. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of X-Men Origins, where you get to know the character personally so that you appreciate their struggle that much more.

Other than that, the thing that bothered me the most about this book was the format. I didn’t realize it was an ebook until after I won it (that was my bad, I admit). When I downloaded the book to my iPhone and tried to zoom in and make the font larger so that I could actually see it, it would just zoom in on one section of a page at a time which made reading nearly impossible. I ended up having to read it on my laptop in small sections because my eyes would start hurting from concentrating on the bright screen for so long. I had never had a problem with any other ebook not zooming in so that I could read it on my phone, so that was just a huge disappointment. I won’t be requesting ebooks anymore.

So, the book only gets 2 stars because of the shoddy plot development, an extraordinary number of typos and grammatical errors (which is a pet peeve), and a super annoying reading format. ( )
1 vote megadallion | Jan 25, 2011 |

What happens if the physicists' String Theory is correct, and the "real" universe is nothing more than a human mental construct? And what happens to the half-dozen young adults who, through an accident on their common day of conception, can mentally pull the strings of the universe? And what if each of their rule-shattering powers is accompanied by a deformity shunned by society?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

First Stringers by Gerald M. Weinberg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,402,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible