Jamie's 30-Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals

by Jamie Oliver

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
Well, I was just going to post a few words on this, but I might as well review it, though I've by no means read the whole book.

The tradition for librarians resigning (for whatever reason) from the club library where I've been volunteering is that they are presented with a book. Now that we've been forced to close the library, this was on the list of books I chose when our convenor kindly asked what I wanted. I like Oliver's casual style (though it's completely opposite to mine) and his principles of trying to put healthy meals on school canteen tables and trying to convince us to cook at home rather than ordering out or buying TV dinners.

So, having recently received this book, I've only tried a couple of the recipes. I like the way it's presented; a whole meal (main and sides), sometimes with a dessert and/ or a drink with the cooking plan all worked out and given in stages. There is one page with the title with a photo on the facing page of what the completed meal (is supposed to) looks like, then over the page, the ingredients and then a step by step method with several dishes on the go at the same time with snapshots of the work in progress on the page facing that. Occasionally there may be a camera icon, which indicates that there is a video online of that particular stage - such as deboning and stuffing a chicken breast). I also like equipment list at the beginning of the book, which runs from food processor and recommended attachments through size and types of pans to whisks and knives.

So far, so good. Now - having furnished myself with the necessary additional equipment - for the actual cooking. I'm a decent enough cook, but I am a slow, methodical one and I have a need to constantly check back to the recipe - not a good idea when you have several things on the fire at the same time. The first thing Jamie says at the beginning of each recipe, after the ingredients, is 'Get all your ingredients and equipment ready'. (I do tend to pull things out as I go along, but I resolved this by highlighting the equipment in the recipe and having most of it ready to hand.) For someone who is used to having several pans on the fire, this would probably be an easy book to cook from, but both days (so far) have taken me an hour and a half, give or take. Admittedly, I usually tend to bake or do one pot dishes like bolognaise so this is a new technique for me. I've tried the Stuffed Cypriot Chicken and the Roast Beef (which is actually pan-fried to get it onto the table in 30 minutes ... or so.)

However, I'm not put off and I intend to make more meals from this book. Once I eventually got them to table, the meals were delicious (my 13 year old son loves them though my more picky 8 year old needs a bit of persuasion still; his more refined cuisine tends to run to PB&J) with no major disasters, though there were a couple of things that I thought 'Oh - I should have done it like that. Next time'.

A good book, though probably not recommended for a beginner cook (definitely not if they expect to have the food on the table in 30 minutes). I think - at least for now - I'll give it 4 stars. ( )
  libraian | Aug 10, 2017 |
As to be expected from Jamie Oliver, another fabulous book, full of wonderful photography and recipes that are easy to follow and of the type that you would cook many times over. I like the way this guy works in the kitchen! ( )
  Fliss88 | Feb 20, 2014 |
I've spoken to those who can't stand this book but I love it. Whether one finishes the meal in precisely 30 minutes is, frankly, not the point. The beauty of it is that there is a whole meal, with side dishes, maybe a pudding or drink or other extras and the method takes you through the whole process in more or less real time (maybe a bit fast for those of us with less than professional knife skills), not dish by dish, so it will have you peel potatoes, then puree strawberries for pudding, or whatever.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 28, 2011 |
I haven't yet tried any of the recipes (although ingredients are in place to give one of them a shot tonight). However, beyond the introduction, where Jamie's familiar enthusiasm bubbles through, it is just a large collection of carefully staged plans to give quick meals. I would rather have had fewer recipes and more space to explain the how and why of each one. You get that on the TV series and, for the time being, I can find it online but I want a cookbook that will be inspiring even when video explanations are no longer available. ( )
  wulf | Aug 1, 2011 |
Not once have I managed to get one of these completed in less than hour.

Taste nice though. ( )
1 vote rory1000 | Apr 12, 2011 |

In the bestselling "Jamie's 30-Minute Meals", Jamie Oliver will teach you how to make good food super fast! Jamie proves that, by mastering a few tricks and being organized and focused in the kitchen, it is absolutely possible, and easy, to get a complete meal on the table in the same amount of time you'd normally spend making one dish! The 50 brand-new meal ideas in this book are exciting, varied and seasonal. They include main course recipes with side dishes as well as puddings and drinks, and are all meals you'll be proud to serve your family and friends. Jamie has written the recipes in a way that will help you make the most of every single minute in the kitchen. This book is as practical as it is beautiful, showing that with a bit of preparation, the right equipment and some organization, hearty, delicious, quick meals are less than half an hour away. With the help of Jamie Oliver and "Jamie's 30-Minute Meals", you'll be amazed by what you're able to achieve. "There is only one Jamie Oliver. Great to watch. Great to cook". (Delia Smith). Jamie Oliver's career started as a chef at the River Cafe, where he was quickly spotted by the television company that made him famous as The Naked Chef. He has since published a huge range of bestselling cookery books, including "The Naked Chef", "The Return of the Naked Chef", "Happy Days with the Naked Chef", "Jamie's Kitchen", "Jamie's Dinners", "Jamie's Italy", "Cook with Jamie", "Jamie at Home", "Jamie's Ministry of Food", "Jamie Does", "Jamie's Great Britain" and "Jamie's 15-Minute Meals".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,758,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible