The Bald Bandit by Ron Roy

The Bald Bandit

by Ron Roy

the best ( )
  fahad.m.rafi | Jul 5, 2014 |
Two ratings for early chapter books, I think. Around a three for me; and these, I think, are a definite four for what they are and who their audience is. I really did some smiling through these and I was pretty impressed with several things (read the first three and will copy this to the others). They seemed to me like they would be really challenging and I liked the addition of the map of the neighborhood in the front. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
I am still enjoying this beginning chapter book series about amateur sleuths. In the current story, three friends become involved in a bank robbery case when a detective asks them to help him find a red-headed boy. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose don't have to find the case this time, it comes to them: Detective Reddy is looking for the teenager who accidentally caught the thief on tape just as the man was leaving the bank. The detective tells the kids that he can use help canvassing the town, and offers them a reward for finding the boy - one hundred dollars each! The trio are thrilled with their future prospects, and quickly set out a plan.

They start by hanging around the high school, each one taking a large area to scan. After that plan fails, Dink has a brainstorm. Ask the barber! They live in a small town, and the idea is sound, because Dink finds the information he needs. He manages to secure the videotape, but just when the three friends thought they had the case all wrapped up, a new twist unfolds. They discover that their investigating is more dangerous than they realized.

Children will like this book. The mystery is interesting, and they will love the fact that the kids solve everything on their own, and even come out as heroes in the end. I did know the solution right away; just from the first chapter and the cover picture I had things sorted in my mind. Yet when I consider that the intended audience is first or second graders, I know that this is not only acceptable, but appropriate. They need clues that they can understand, and a mystery that is just complicated enough to be puzzling but not too confusing. Also, the main characters are appealing, and act like real children and therefore will allow young readers to identify with them. The illustrations are detailed and cartoony black-and-white drawings. This is another enjoyable read, and keeps my interest in the series sustained. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 17, 2012 |
S says: this book was a great story because the three kids found the bandit and called the police. The police called the bank to give Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose a bunch of money as a reward.

This story made me want to form a club where you could capture lots of bandits. I think my friends in first grade should read this book. It was exciting! ( )
  kayceel | Apr 5, 2010 |

Don’t miss A to Z Mysteries—alphabetic adventures that are full of thrills, chills, and cases to crack!

B is for Bandit...

In the second book of the A to Z Mysteries—an early chapter book mystery series featuring strong boy and girl characters—a bandit has robbed the Green Lawn Savings Bank! Dink and his friends Josh and Ruth Rose are ready to help. When a private detective comes to Dink's door looking for the kid who videotaped the crime, the trio volunteers to find him. After all, there's a reward! But tracking down one red-headed kid isn't such an easy job, especially if he doesn't want to be found. Dink and his friends must find that kid—and his tape—before the bandit does!

Each book includes a map and a letter from the author. Parents, teachers, and librarians agree that these highly collectible chapter books are perfect for emerging readers and any kids who love mysteries!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:20 -0400)

Third-grader Dink and his detective friends hope to receive a big reward by finding the person whose video recorder picked up a picture of the local bank robber.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible