The 'Twilight' Mystique: Critical…

The 'Twilight' Mystique: Critical Essays on the Novels and Films… (original 2011; edition 2010)

by Amy M. Clarke, Marijane Osborn (Editor)

209515,329 (3.28)1
Member:kkisser
Title:The 'Twilight' Mystique: Critical Essays on the Novels and Films (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy)
Authors:Amy M. Clarke
Other authors:Marijane Osborn (Editor)
Info:McFarland & Co Inc (2010), Paperback, 247 pages
Rating:***
Tags:critical essays, popular culture

The Twilight Mystique: Critical Essays on the Novels and Films by Amy M. Clarke (2011)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It feels a little strange to reference both academia and Twilight in one breath, but that's what this collection is: a look at Twilight from a grown-up and thoughtful eye. The essays range from talk on where Meyer drew her inspiration, to evidence of her religion in her writings, and to her appropriation of Quileute legend (real and imagined). While none of the essays were particularly critical- in fact, most were very positive- it gives a more balanced view of the series than one is likely to find elsewhere.

I received this book for free through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  PaperCrystals | Jun 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a librarian, I was interested in this work as it promised to critically analyze the Twilight series from various perspectives (feminist; Indigenous; genre; religious; etc.). I was particularly interested in Jensen's critique, as it analyzed shapeshifting and werewolves in relation to Pacific NW Native peoples.

The essay was well-documented, included Pacific NW Native myths, and compared Meyer's work with those myths - from a non-Native perspective. This essay was disappointing for that reason, that it was not written from a Native perspective, which would have addressed the series academically and included the Indigenous viewpoint to specifically address appropriation issues and the attempts of non-Native authors to write about Native peoples. The omission of this element is glaring to any scholar in modern anthropology or Native American studies. Certainly there are enough Native academics who could have participated and infused a more rigorous analysis.

Most of the other essays were descriptive rather than critical. The book included table of contents, preface and introduction, annotated list of authors, index, bibliography, and annotated notes at the end of each chapter. The essays in this book might be useful for undergraduates, but not for graduate-level work. ( )
  brickhorse | Mar 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall I like the connections made in the articles in this book. Not exactly a fast paced read, but if I were to have this book be available for a school discussion it would be excellent. Yes I've read all the Twilight books and I've seen the current Twilight movies but I've also studied religions, cultural anthro and art history (and fairy tales!) so - for me- I enjoyed this critical aspect this collection has taken on the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. ( )
  llyramoon | Aug 31, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found The Twilight Mystique essays to be very comprehensive and enlightening. I have only read one of the Twilight novels and was interested to learn more about the "Twilight Phenomenon." It was a slow read, but I would recommend it to lovers of the Twilight series. As for me, although it was interesting, I really wasn't sold on reading anymore of the Twilight series.
  picnicgal | Aug 8, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Yes indeed I read the Twilight series --- mostly because I teach Gothic literature and I had to know what all the fuss was about. While I am not a big fan of the series, I am a big fan of The Twilight Mystique: Critical Essays on the Novels and the Films edited by Amy M. Clarke and Marijane Osborn. This collection explores the Stephanie Meyer series through historical, autobiographical, and cultural literary lenses with such essays tackling the big question: How does the Twilight series fit into the history of vampire literature?

I am going to ask my library to order this book for its shelves --- and the next time my students want to do a literary analysis of Meyer's books (I have always said no!) I will require them to read The Twilight Mystique first. ( )
  karenweyant | Jul 8, 2011 |

The 13 essays in this volume explore Stephenie Meyer's wildly popular Twilight series in the contexts of literature, religion, fairy tales, film, and the gothic. Several examine Meyer's emphasis on abstinence, considering how, why, and if the author's Mormon faith has influenced the series' worldview. Others look at fan involvement in the Twilight world, focusing on how the series' avid following has led to an economic transformation in Forks, Washington, the real town where the fictional series is set. Other topics include Meyer's use of Quileute shape-shifting legends, Twilight's literary heritage and its frequent references to classic works of literature, and the series' controversial depictions of femininity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

"The essays in this volume explore Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series in the contexts of literature, religion, fairy tales, film, and the gothic. Some look at fan involvement in the Twilight world. Topics include Meyer's use of Quileute shape-shifting legends; Twilight's literary heritage and its references to classic works of literature; and the series's controversial depictions of feminity"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Twilight Mystique by Amy Clarke was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible