The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

The Night Season (edition 2011)

by Chelsea Cain

Member:quinnrosie
Title:The Night Season
Authors:Chelsea Cain
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, 2011, portland, flood

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

English (27)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
This was an easygoing fast-paced reading. The plot was fascinating due to how the murders have been done. There were several stories linked to each other and everything started in the past but unfortunately with a lot of misapprehensions and ignorance. It was looking like time was running out and only at the very end it was clear how all links were related.
It was very gripping and I liked it. ( )
  Ameise1 | Oct 19, 2014 |
It’s been a while since I read the first three books in the Archie and Gretchen books, but I do remember very well that I liked the characterization in Cain’s books. And it being a thriller always makes for a quick read. This one was. Gretchen was not present until the very last chapter but the story was a thrill anyways. I don’t know if I would have liked it as much as I did if this had been a standalone novel. It’s Archie that I read these books for. Archie who I made a connection with. And he was true to his character in this book. If you like thrillers, Cain’s books might be some you’d like to read. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 13, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

This book is different from the other books in this series that I've read so far in that Gretchen doesn't really play a role in it! It's a relieve actually, now Chelsea Cain focusses on the solving of an actual crime instead of just the relationship between Gretchen and Archie.

Because, I did like to see the development in there (not for the better), but now I read a more 'normal' novel without it, it was actually a nice break, and a lot better for the plot. The writing style is still very fast, which helps to make this again a nice and quick read. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Attack of the blue ringed octopuses!!

I can understand the complaints regarding Chelsea Cain's The Night Season. If you're a fan of the character Gretchen Lowell, then you're going to absolutely hate this novel. Gretchen doesn't appear until the end at it was very brief. As well as it should.

The Night Season is a very different novel from the previous three "heart" series as is evident due to the lack of the word heart anywhere in the title. That should have been the first clue right there.

Essentially, it was about a man using blue ringed octopuses to kill people. Once one of the octopuses bites you, the poison would cause cardiac arrest. Then this man would watch his victim die. Drowing on dry land. In the midst, Portland is being bombarded by massive flooding and cops die and Henry almost dies...yet Susan still survives.

I mean, she does drown at one point and does get fired from her job but still, it's not enough.

Archie was the healthiest, emotionally, than in the previous three. That was nice. It was very smart and prudent for Cain to switch it up like that because Gretchen is such a Mary Sue. It's nauseating. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Attack of the blue ringed octopuses!!

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
REMEMBER: DIKES ARE SAFE AT PRESENT. YOU WILL BE WARNED IF NECESSARY. YOU WILL HAVE TIME TO LEAVE. DON'T GET EXCITED. --Statement issued by the Housing Authority of Portland to the people of Vanport, Oregon, on May 30, 1948
For my husband, Marc Mohan. Go, Pack!
Technically, the park was closed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312619766, Hardcover)

With the Beauty Killer Gretchen Lowell locked away behind bars once again, Archie Sheridan—a Portland police detective and nearly one of her victims—can finally rest a little easier. Meanwhile, the rest of the city of Portland is in crisis. Heavy rains have flooded the Willamette River, and several people have drowned in the quickly rising waters. Or at least that’s what they thought until the medical examiner discovers that the latest victim didn’t drown: She was poisoned before she went into the water. Soon after, three of those drownings are also proven to be murders. Portland has a new serial killer on its hands, and Archie and his task force have a new case.

Reporter Susan Ward is chasing this story of a new serial killer with gusto, but she’s also got another lead to follow for an entirely separate mystery: The flooding has unearthed a skeleton, a man who might have died more than sixty years ago, the last time Portland flooded this badly, when the water washed away an entire neighborhood and killed at least fifteen people.

With Archie following the bizarre trail of evidence and evil deeds to catch a killer and possibly regain his life, and Susan Ward close behind, Chelsea Cain—one of today’s most talented suspense writers—launches the next installment of her bestselling series with an electric thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:13 -0400)

River levels are high in Portland when a woman walking her dog comes across the skeleton of a young black man, murdered over fifty years ago. Journalist, Susan Ward investigates. Meanwhile, Detective Archie Sheridan and his team have turned their attention to child-killer Ryan Motley, trained by the notorious Gretchen Lowell. The task force must pursue a series of mysterious clues from Gretchen, one of which leads to a Vanport flood survivor, who happens to be the grandfather of a murdered child. Then, when another child is found murdered, Archie's investigation takes on a new urgency.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible