The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

The Night Season (edition 2011)

by Chelsea Cain

Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, 2011, portland, flood

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

I’ve seen people complaining about Gretchen not being in this one, but I honestly think it was a breath of fresh air compared the weirdness of book three. Cain does a good job showing how Archie operates when Gretchen isn’t in the picture, which is something it’s been really hard to ascertain thus far given Gretchen’s overwhelming influence on him.

I think it was interesting to see some Archie development that wasn’t directly related to his connection with Gretchen, especially concerning his feelings toward Susan, his team, Henry, and the kidnapped boy. We got to dig a lot deeper into Archie’s sacrificial hero complex and thoughts about himself as a leader. It’s a side of him that has long been overshadowed by his obsessiveness toward Gretchen and her mind games with him.

Of course, the whole octopus thing still makes me laugh every time I think about it. Seriously? A unique murder weapon, sure, but it’s kind of ridiculous to think about using that thing to actually kill people. I kept trying to picture it. It was a little out there.

And yet, I still found this one more plausible than book three. Take that as you will. ( )
  TherinKnite | Dec 11, 2013 |
Huh. Not as good as the rest of the series. The science-y stuff made absolutely no sense to me, characters were obviously set up just so we'd feel something when they were killed off, and NO GRETCHEN for nearly the entirety of the book.

I understand the need to expand on Archie and Susan's relationship, but it's a shame that in order for that to happen, Gretchen had to be left out completely. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
It was an okay read. I was expecting to see Gretchen a little since its fourth book of "Gretchen Lowell series". But it seems I shouldn't have held my breath for that. I don't know, if I want to read a random detective story, I would do that. This book is really pointless to me. Now I'm waiting for the 5th book but honestly this one made me loose my spirit a little. ( )
  meltemyus | Sep 20, 2013 |
I don't read a ton of thrillers, but compared to the ones I have read, this seems like a pretty standard thriller. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though, I did enjoy it, the same way I enjoy parking myself on the couch watching hours and hours of Law & Order. I don't ever really take much away from those couch potato sessions, but they're fun.
The Night Season takes place in Portland during an epic rainy season in which a flood is a constant threat and a serial killer is on the loose. He is killing people in a really unusual way that brings a certain oddity to what would otherwise be a pretty mundane story. The one thing I did really enjoy about this book was the atmospherics of it. The very descriptive language made me feel like I was living in the soggy, cold world of these characters.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers and to anyone interested in natural disasters. I would also recommend it to aquarium enthusiasts. ( )
  elmoelle | Aug 9, 2013 |
Read from June 03 to 07, 2013

Listened for Fun (Borrowed from the Library)/Read for Fun (Paperback)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: I missed Gretchen but I think this book proved Chelsea Cain can write a pretty good Archie book without her!

Story Thoughts: Archie is a good detective! He sucks at pretty much everything else but as a detective he knows his stuff. This was an interesting case that kept me guessing for a very long time. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle Gretchen not being in the book (much) but it turns out that I was pretty compelled without her. Oh, I missed her but the case was solid, the action was intense, and the suspense about killed me for the last 1/3. The fact that the killer drug some of my favorite characters into the mix was enough to have me biting my nails.

Character Thoughts: Here is what I love about Chelsea Cain's characters: they are all damaged! Each of them are scarred, good and bad, make questionable decisions, and yet you still root for them. I think her characters are as compelling as her story lines. That is not always the case in thrillers but in this case it is true. I find myself often times getting personally worried about them and their welfare. Heck, I was even glad when we got a Gretchen check in so we knew where she was during the flood.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Christina Delaine / Length: 8 hrs and 45 mins

I am usually not a fan of switching up narrators in a series but in this case it really worked. I think Christina is more suited to the characters that Chelsea Cain has created. Her pacing was brilliant and her voices were pretty spot on. I just checked and she does the next one so I am excited.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed Night Season and can't wait to dig into the next one :) ( )
  thehistorychic | Jun 10, 2013 |
REMEMBER: DIKES ARE SAFE AT PRESENT. YOU WILL BE WARNED IF NECESSARY. YOU WILL HAVE TIME TO LEAVE. DON'T GET EXCITED. --Statement issued by the Housing Authority of Portland to the people of Vanport, Oregon, on May 30, 1948
For my husband, Marc Mohan. Go, Pack!
Technically, the park was closed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312619766, Hardcover)

With the Beauty Killer Gretchen Lowell locked away behind bars once again, Archie Sheridan—a Portland police detective and nearly one of her victims—can finally rest a little easier. Meanwhile, the rest of the city of Portland is in crisis. Heavy rains have flooded the Willamette River, and several people have drowned in the quickly rising waters. Or at least that’s what they thought until the medical examiner discovers that the latest victim didn’t drown: She was poisoned before she went into the water. Soon after, three of those drownings are also proven to be murders. Portland has a new serial killer on its hands, and Archie and his task force have a new case.

Reporter Susan Ward is chasing this story of a new serial killer with gusto, but she’s also got another lead to follow for an entirely separate mystery: The flooding has unearthed a skeleton, a man who might have died more than sixty years ago, the last time Portland flooded this badly, when the water washed away an entire neighborhood and killed at least fifteen people.

With Archie following the bizarre trail of evidence and evil deeds to catch a killer and possibly regain his life, and Susan Ward close behind, Chelsea Cain—one of today’s most talented suspense writers—launches the next installment of her bestselling series with an electric thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:13 -0400)

River levels are high in Portland when a woman walking her dog comes across the skeleton of a young black man, murdered over fifty years ago. Journalist, Susan Ward investigates. Meanwhile, Detective Archie Sheridan and his team have turned their attention to child-killer Ryan Motley, trained by the notorious Gretchen Lowell. The task force must pursue a series of mysterious clues from Gretchen, one of which leads to a Vanport flood survivor, who happens to be the grandfather of a murdered child. Then, when another child is found murdered, Archie's investigation takes on a new urgency.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible