Damage by John Lescroart

Damage (original 2011; edition 2012)

by John Lescroart

Member:stephanie.spiher
Title:Damage
Authors:John Lescroart
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Damage by John Lescroart (2011)

The forst book by this author I have read. A very good book...a great summer read that will continue to draw you in to the story...despite a little bit too much of back and forth between character stories, it was still a fun read. The more or less "surprise" near the end was not too difficult to guess earlier in the book...the plot line provided too many clues to the only real solution to one of the crimes - some of those clues did not need to be in the book for the flow of the plot. But still worth the reading. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
Lescroart churns out his twenty-second novel with the ferocity of a mother lion defending her cub, and indeed she is. Mrs. Curtlee’s boy Ro has been tried for the rape and murder of the family maid and seeing as the Curtlee's own the local newspaper and had a lot to do with getting the new District Attorney elected, they want to get their unjustly-punished son out of jail.

Wes Farrell, the new DA is still getting his feet wet in San Francisco politics and allows a little infl uence to go a long way. As soon as Ro is out of jail, the bodies start turning up. One of the two witnesses who originally helped convict him is brutally murdered and her home burned, as is the wife of the lead juror who put him away. Ro has cojones, showing up at the home of lead homicide detective, Abe Glitsky, just to give him some of the same harassment the police are handing out. Is he that brazen or is it an attempt to make the
police believe he really is innocent, nothing to hide? When a lead investigator, who is following Ro shows up with a bullet in his head, the police decide enough is enough and do everything in their power to get Ro back in jail, before he kills the last witness standing.

Lescroart does a great job in casting suspicions to make you think perhaps a copy-cat rapist is at work. He shows the reader several out and out truths that the police are yet to discover, leaving his audience a step ahead, creating a sense of urgency as we hope that they will pick up on the clues before it’s too late. We find out that like a leopard, Ro just can’t change his spots, and after raping another household maid a week after getting his new-found freedom, Lescroart leads us down a coiling path that leaves you gasping, as twist after twist are unraveled in the end. ( )
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
Fast paced, typical Lescroart read....with a twist at the end. Loved it! ( )
  junebedell | Jan 2, 2015 |
Well, as promised, I read another Lescroat. This one I did not care for as much as The Motive. I still found his scenarios un necessarily complicated and the 'good guys' making too many stupid mistakes. I almost started rooting for the bad guy. I also found the language over the top nasty! Not sure I will read any more of his stuff or not. ( )
  repb | Dec 2, 2014 |
John Lescroart is one of my favorite authors and I was really looking forward to this novel. I was disappointed that instead of an intriguing mystery, it was more of a thriller. I don't enjoy villainous psychopathic murderers and the continual threat of harm to the protaganist(s) in the story.

I will still purchase John Lescroart's books, however, because this was the only one I've had trouble finishing. I always enjoy his characters and the complexities of his mysteries. ( )
  REDonald | Apr 26, 2014 |
To my consiglieri Al Giannini, and to my bride, Lisa Marie Swyer, always and forever
Felicia Nunez saw him standing up against a building across the street from the stop where she normally got off her streetcar.
"The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation."
--Richard Dawkins

"Life is a cheap thing beside a man's work."
--Ernest Hemingway

From New York Times bestseller John Lescroart comes an explosive look at the seductive power of revenge and the terrible costs of justice.

The Curtlees are the most powerful family in San Francisco, unscrupulous billionaires who ve lined every important pocket in the Bay Area in pursuit of their own ascent. So when the family's heir, Ro Curtlee, was convicted of rape and murder a decade ago, the fallout for those who helped to bring him to justice was swift and uncompromising. The jury foreman was fired from his job and blacklisted in his industry. The lead prosecutor was pushed off the fast track, her dreams of becoming DA dashed. And head homicide detective Abe Glitsky was reassigned to the police department s payroll office. Eventually, all three were able to rebuild their fragile, damaged lives.

And then Ro Curtlee's lawyers won him a retrial, and he was released from jail.
Within twenty-four hours, a fire destroys the home of the original trial's star witness, her abused remains discovered in the ruins. When a second fire claims a participant in the case, Abe is convinced: Ro is out for revenge. But with no hard evidence and an on-the-take media eager to vilify anyone who challenges Ro, can Abe stop the violence before he finds himself in its crosshairs? How much more can he sacrifice to put Ro back behind bars? And just how far across the line is he prepared to go in pursuit of justice?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:05 -0400)

His career derailed by the vengeful billionaire Curtlee family for his part in convicting one of their number for murder, former homicide detective Abe Glitsky learns that the killer has won a retrial at the same time a star witness has been murdered.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible