The Turning Blood Ties Book One by Jennifer…

The Turning Blood Ties Book One (edition 2010)

by Jennifer Armintrout

Member:apple5389
Title:The Turning Blood Ties Book One
Authors:Jennifer Armintrout
Info:Mira/ Mills & Boon (2010), Paperback, 400 pages

The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout

English (27)  German (1)  All languages (28)
Meh. ( )
  themjrawr | Dec 1, 2017 |
Got ebook omnibus/bundle of this series. Made it thru most of second book. Past first chapter, despite liking author's earlier series, could not get into characters or the storyline. Skimmed chapters of rest and just never caught my interest. Was definitely "urban fantasy" and way too violent (senseless, bloody, and explicitly violent) to ever be suited to YA audience so at least was no Twilight wannabe kinda vampire book. That first chapter sample was very misleading. I do not like my characters so dumb or so violent. And the plot was such a confused morass that did not seem to resolve itself. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Dr. Carrie Ames is a new doctor, overworked but driven, skilled and determined. Right until a John Doe arrives in her emergency room who simply shouldn’t be alive. He doesn’t last long but he shakes her to the core – enough for her to go check on his body in the morgue. Only to find that body healed, up, moving around and with great big fangs.

Convalescing from the attack takes weeks – but in those weeks she notices some major changes and is eventually faced with the impossible: she’s a vampire. Blood drinking, sunlight dodging, the whole thing. And Nathan, a member of the Voluntary Vampire Extinction Movement, is her best and only source for information on her new condition.

Unless she goes to her sire. Her brutal, abusive, violent sire who preys on children, slaughters humans and rapes any under his control. A sire who is desperate for a companion – and a sire she is bound to by blood.

Looking at the cover, I was very pleasantly surprised by a lot in this book. There was relatively little focus on sex, even relatively little on lust. There’s instant attraction but that’s not allowed to overwhelm everything else nor does it force two people into instant love and undying declarations of affection and love. It’s clear Nathan and Carrie are heading that way – but it’s not going to be quick, it’s not going to be easy, and no amount of super-horny fumblings are going to replace the misgivings both have about the other nor is it going to drop them on the happy-ever-after train.

In fact, I would say their interaction with each other is less “romantic” and more “exploratory”. There is definite physical attraction that builds into more – but the focus is far more on Carrie trying to live with her new state, trying to deal with the feelings of the sire bond and just trying to decide what to do with her life. And yes, part of it is deciding where Nathan fits in – is he a friend to trust? A love interest? A threat bringing ultimatums from the Voluntary Vampire Extinction Movement? Is he trying to control her? Manipulate her? Finding a ground-state for co-existence with Nathan as well as escaping her sire’s attentions feature much much higher than getting into Nathan’s pants.

The same applies on Nathan’s side – we have far more of his worry over what to do with Carrie, his trying to get her into the VVEM, his targeting of Cyrus, his past with his wife, whether Carrie is under Cyrus’s control – all of these take greater precedence than having sex with Carrie. Yes, he’s attracted to her, yes they’re heading that way but he even outright says he doesn’t love her and works more towards fitting her into her new existence and his life.

In short, we don’t cross eyes over a crowded room then take the express train to humpa-ville. We actually have a story.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
As I said, my first adult paranormal (excluding the Ann Rice books) and what a difference with Twilight and Marked.
Lots of violence, lots of sex. I love it!!! Lol.

Want to read book 2 of this series most definitely and even thinking of buying it. Thanks for giving this book to me rosie.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
This book took me by surprise. I expected it to be like all the other YA vampire books I've read, but it was very different- a lot more mature. It was very dark at places, and the plot was quite heavy. I really enjoyed it though, and I really felt like I could identify with the main character. It was definitely hard to keep up with the emotions of the characters, but I got used to it. I loved the story, and the characters. I'm just not really sure how it's going to be dragged out for another three books. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read a poll in the newspaper once that said the number one fear of Americans aged eighteen ao sixty-five is public speaking.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 077832298X, Mass Market Paperback)

So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invisible leash and I'm bound to him no matter what I do. And of course he's one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse -- except I'm attracted to them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:44 -0400)

I'm no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Just my luck. So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invisible leash and I'm bound to him no matter what I do. And of course he's one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse - except I'm attracted to them both. Drinking blood, living as an immortal demon and being a pawn between two warring vampire factions isn't exactly how I'd imagined my future. But as my father used to say, the only way to conquer fear is to face it. So that's what I'll do. Fangs bared.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible