Black Magic Woman by Christine Warren
Recently added byprivate library, susanbevans, CindyBrooks, Kellylnn22, Cornbeans, TheiBookEmporium, ecemerson

3.5 stars

This is a nice light read which I really needed right now. The series has always been a little hard to follow because it is not released in chronological order (but there a new chronological list in the front of the book, along with an explation for the confusion).

This is not my favorite book in the series, but I did enjoy it. It brings voodoo into the picture for the first time. I am not really that familar with voodoo, so it was interesting to read a story that included it. You also read about Guardians, which if they have been in the series in the past, it was not a large part that I remember. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is Daphanie Carter (Danice Carter's older sister) and Asher Grayson's story. Daphanie is a smart mouthed gypsy that has decided to settle down in New York. She finds out about the Others just before her sister's wedding. She gets in trouble with a witch doctor. I think that she handles the news of the others and she fights the possession with grace and courage. Asher is all alpha male that has seen more of human nature that anyone should. Asher is a Guardian. An immortal that guards humans against the Others. He is surprised by his attraction to Daphanie. This story will give you a good education into voodoo and the blacker arts. There is also a little history which is always nice. Ms. Warren writes some very good paranormal stories and should be and anyone list that loves the genre. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jan 18, 2013 |
After Christine sliced up and obliterated Fighting Faer -the last novel (Prince Charming)- this novel was refreshing. It had all the things I expect from one of Christine's Novels and made me remember why I liked her writing in the first place (along with rereading Big Bad Wolf). I only hope she does Corrine and Luc justice by KEEPING what readers loved about Fighting Faer and a expanding on it. Doing a rewrite just hurts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ( )
  Khristine_Stain | Oct 23, 2011 |
Apparently, I was so busy trying not to hate Daphanie that I never really got into the story. As Asher ponders (frequently), it's not that she's stupid so much as she is ignorant about the Others. Unfortunately, while she exhibits wild-eyed delight at viewing Others in the wild, so to speak, she never tries to overcome her ignorance enough to treat them as sentient creatures who have lives beyond entertaining her, instead she hides behind her ignorance as if that will excuse her rude, narcissistic behavior. She displays all the empathy of a rabid swamp rat in the first part of the book and by the second... I don't know, I guess I got tired, so by the time she got possessed I just didn't really care. (Possibly because I saw it coming from her first run-in with D'Abo--really, if you've ever seen any B movie featuring voodoo zombies, you're not going to be surprised by any of this.) Anyway, I got bored, put it down to wash dishes and am not sure I'll ever pick it up again. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | May 16, 2011 |
Black magic Woman” is the latest installment of Christine Warren’s supernatural series The Others. This novel concerns Daphanie Carter, Danice Carter’s sister, and Asher Grayson, a Guardian. Before I get into describing what happens to our main characters, it would be wise to context the author’s note to the reader prior to reading the book. Most series are published in chronological order when there is reoccurring characters or a common story arc that transverses consecutive books. For Warren’s series, there was a set of 6 original stories that were release as e-books with a reoccurring theme. When the author began publishing the novels in print format, the decision was made to add material to the original 6 stories as well as publish additional new stories for those familiar with the older versions. The strange part of this decision is the original 6 re-mastered stories were slated for publication not inside the story’s chronological order. So Christine Warren has released in the beginning of this novel’s readers note, the correct chronological order of all the stories (original, re-mastered, and unreleased). She apologizes for the confusion and says she is a reformed author and that all the novels from this point on will contain events that take place in the same order in which the books are published. I personally was glad for her readers note but have always felt the decision to publish in this manner has taken something away from her series. Bouncing around chronologically each time you read a new book is confusing, like the author is on a different thought process or you made a mistake the last time you read a book.

As for “Black Magic Woman” we find ourselves at Danice and Mac’s reception with Danice’s sister feeling slightly upset with being left out of her sister’s new world. Looking to educate herself, she sees the uninvited imp, Quigley, as the perfect opportunity to get some knowledge about The Others. In this time line the only Others Daphanie is aware of is Missy and Graham, Raphael, and Dmitri and Reggi. The Others are still unknown to the human world. So she goes to an Others’ bar called Lurk with Quigley to check out all the different things in her world. While she is there, she bumps into a witch doctor and spills a drink on him. This results into quite an altercation of verbal quips. Luckily for her, before things get out of hand, Asher Grayson offers her protection. Asher is a Guardian. Guardians protect humans from Others. They are immortal and have wings when they chose to show them. The witch doctor Charles D’Abo tries to place a curse on Daphanie, but Asher stops him. Once they both leave the bar, it is clear that things between these two will never be the same again. Daphanie is under Asher’s protection and he takes his duties very seriously. How much danger is Daphanie in? Time proves that there was more to meet the eye when it comes to the possession of Daphanie’s heart, body and soul.

I enjoyed solving the mystery behind “Black Magic Woman” and the return of some of our “old” friends from previous stories lending a hand in solving the problem. As always, it takes me a minute to get my bearing in the story where we are chronologically. Who is the head of the council? Who is married at the moment? Does humanity know of the others? Once you get that down, it makes me the other characters actions better and their motivations. Daphanie (which I hate to admit, I hated the name the entire book) is a strong character. She has sass and strength and tries to make light of bad situations. Asher is so bent on thinking he will be alone and humans are unworthy he never sees her worm into his heart. His role of protector is fiercely threatened when he is helpless to save her from the evil consuming her soul. Asher has never broken a promise but Daphanie trusts him. That trust keeps her fighting. So does the love of her friends. The Others are always about the community of friends and loyalty and the see Daphanie and even Asher as theirs to help and protect. I felt that it all unfolded quite nicely until the very last chapter. There were some unanswered questions concerning what happened to the bokor? Then the question of mortality and immortality still dangled in the air between our mated pair and was left unanswered. I guess it didn’t mattered. 3.5 to 4 stars. ( )
  Slion | May 8, 2011 |

"Daphanie Carter is thrilled that her sister Danice finally found her Prince Charming--even though he not quite, well, human. Daphanie is trying to keep an open mind. Which is why she jumps at the chance to enter the hidden world of The Others when a friendly imp invites her to a non-human nightclub. Daphanie's curious to see how the Other half lives--and parties--but soon, one handsome stranger has her bewitched, bothered, and beside herself..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible