Black Magic Woman (The Others) by Christine…
Member:pse105
Title:Black Magic Woman (The Others)
Authors:Christine Warren
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2011), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Paranormal
Tags:Paranormal

Black Magic Woman by Christine Warren

Black Magic Woman
2 Stars

The voodoo plot has potential, but the heroine is TSTL and the hero's sexiness is not enough to compensate for the weak romance.

Daphanie (what kind of name is that anyway? Daphne wasn’t exotic enough?) has got to be one of the most idiotic and ignorant heroines ever. In possession of the knowledge that Others with magic powers exist, she doesn’t hesitate to provoke and insult a complete stranger who is obviously not completely human.

Daphanie and Asher’s romance is incomprehensible. What does a 500 year old Guardian see in a woman who takes stubbornness to a completely new level? Considering that he is not a shifter, the falling in love in less than a week trope is out of place and illogical.

The only aspects of the story that made reading it worthwhile were Asher’s laugh-out-loud funny conversations with Graham and Rafe, and the creepy Voodoo resurrection storyline. Unfortunately, neither of these is sufficient to warrant a higher rating.

In sum, if I weren’t interested in some of the secondary characters that get their own stories in later books, I would probably call it quits on the rest of the series as the last couple were not up to snuff! Alas my series OCD will probably come in at some point and I’ll continue.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
paranormal, romance, the-others, urban-fantasy

While I still think that Daphanie is DTS, I still enjoyed the story. Maybe it's because I have an affinity for Marie Laveau since our honeymoon in NOLA. Whatever, it did give a lot of suspense, and sparkled with humor. Worth the money.
Love listening to Kate Reading! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jun 14, 2017 |
The relationship between (drawing a blank and I read the book two days ago) and Asher was pretty lame. The main story of who is trying to possess whatshername much more interesting. Makes me think the author hasn't had a real live relationship. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Maybe 2.5 stars. I really struggled with this one. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
3.5 stars

This is a nice light read which I really needed right now. The series has always been a little hard to follow because it is not released in chronological order (but there a new chronological list in the front of the book, along with an explation for the confusion).

This is not my favorite book in the series, but I did enjoy it. It brings voodoo into the picture for the first time. I am not really that familar with voodoo, so it was interesting to read a story that included it. You also read about Guardians, which if they have been in the series in the past, it was not a large part that I remember. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |

"Daphanie Carter is thrilled that her sister Danice finally found her Prince Charming--even though he not quite, well, human. Daphanie is trying to keep an open mind. Which is why she jumps at the chance to enter the hidden world of The Others when a friendly imp invites her to a non-human nightclub. Daphanie's curious to see how the Other half lives--and parties--but soon, one handsome stranger has her bewitched, bothered, and beside herself..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible