What's wrong with Timmy? by Maria Shriver

What's wrong with Timmy? (edition 2001)

by Maria Shriver, Sandra Speidel (Illustrator)

Member:lmhudson
Title:What's wrong with Timmy?
Authors:Maria Shriver
Other authors:Sandra Speidel (Illustrator)
Info:Boston : Little, Brown, 2001.
Tags:Family, Fiction, Disabilities, Friendship

What's Wrong with Timmy? by Maria Shriver

An age appropriate explanation of the effects down syndrome has.
  cabram90 | Jun 24, 2014 |
This is the story of a boy named Timmy, who has Down Syndrome. It's almost a bit too realistic. I was not crazy about some of the word choices used or questions characters asked in regards to Timmy and his difference. I might use this book for K-2 just to introduce Down Syndrome if I did not find something else more suitable. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
I think this book is an easy way for kids to learn about down syndrome. I wasn't crazy about the book but I think it had good explanations. ( )
  Camsterw27 | Dec 2, 2013 |
This story explains (in a matter that works well for children) the effects of Down Syndrome

SOURCE: AMAZON.COM
AGE: 3-5
  CIERRAMOORE | Oct 31, 2013 |
Sometimes seeing past a deformity, a disability, is a child’s greatest gift to the exceptional other child. Book Review
3-7 years
Tacoma Public Library-Moore Branch ( )
  spiritamc | Feb 12, 2013 |
For my children, Katherine, Christina, Patrick, and Christopher. May you always reach out to the children who are different from you with love, compassion, and kindness. To my husband, Arnold, who shares his life and talents with those with disabilities. Thank you for caring. To my parents, Eunice and Sargent Shriver, two extraordinary individuals who have dedicated their lives to helping those with disabilities. I have seen you change the world through your determination and love. What a difference you have made to the millions of people with developmental disabilities. And, finally, to every parent of a child with special needs, may we all build new dreams together.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316233374, Hardcover)

When 8-year-old Kate meets a boy who seems somehow different, she feels funny inside. After talking with her mom, though, Kate begins to understand that Timmy is just like her in many ways. Timmy has special needs; he takes longer to learn than Kate, and can't walk or run as well. But he also "loves his family, he wants friends, he goes to school, and he dreams about what he wants to be when he grows up." Kate and Timmy meet, and the seeds of a friendship are planted.

For all those children who ask their parents why someone looks or acts "different," author and journalist Maria Shriver's What's Wrong with Timmy? provides a base for discussion. Kate's mother models appropriate behavior, speaking to her daughter calmly and directly, and providing examples from her own life to help Kate understand about Timmy. Illustrator Sandra Speidel's soft, intentionally hazy pastels are lovely; bold, enlarged phrases on the opposite pages of text act as captions. Shriver and Speidel collaborated previously on the tremendously popular What's Heaven?, also starring Kate and her mother. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:38 -0400)

Haciendo buenas migas con un nino con retraso mental ayuda a Kate saber que los dos tienen mucho en comun.

5 avail.4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,230,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible