Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar

Pearl in the Sand (edition 2010)

by Tessa Afshar

Member:HonoluluSprite
Title:Pearl in the Sand
Authors:Tessa Afshar
Info:Moody Publishers (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages

Pearl in the Sand: A Novel by Tessa Afshar

[book:Pearl in the Sand|8089607]

Amazing read! Ms Afshar just brought to life the biblical account of Rahab. I totally loved it! ( )
  NicoleHills | Oct 15, 2018 |
Title: A Pearl in the Sand
Author: Tessa Afshar
Pages: 320
Year: 2010
Publisher: River North (Moody Publishers)
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
Rahab is a young girl who at the age of 15 is sold into prostitution to support her family. This marked her as a prostitute from that moment on. After that, she chose her clients with care and kept the number as few as possible. She wanted nothing to do with men, but had to earn a living. When she sees two foreign men trying to enter her city, Jericho, she immediately intercedes on their behalf. She has heard rumors of the Hebrews and their God and the battles they have won. Jericho is next on their hit list and Rahab is confidant their God will give them Jericho. She hides the two men from searching soldiers and discovers they are indeed Hebrew spies sent to check out Jericho’s fortifications. In return for saving them, they promise her safety for herself and anyone in her home when they attack.
Salmone oversees a large division of the tribe of Judah. He is assigned by Joshua of the task of preparing Rahab and her family to enter the Hebrew encampment after the fall of Jericho. Salmone wants nothing to do with them as he views them as possible spies or traitors perhaps working for Hebrews’ enemies. However, Rahab’s determination to follow God and her continual demonstrations of her faith in Him win over Salmone’s sister and a few other Hebrews, but many still see her and her family as pagans. Can Rahab and her family endure in this environment?
While this novel is a fictional tale recounting the story of Rahab, I loved the author’s take on this event. The willingness and patience Salmone exhibited in pursuing Rahab was remarkable. Did he have moments of frustration and rudeness to her and others? You bet he did, but he didn’t give up and he sought the Lord’s guidance. He wanted what was best for Rahab when every other person in her life had only used her for what they wanted then discarded her. Rahab learned that she had value to others, but more importantly she had value to God. Even if everyone else left her, God never would. Seeing her growth in faith and her worth to God as well as Salmone’s growth in patience and acceptance of those unlike himself was marvelous to read. I have read all of this author’s fictional offerings and am definitely a fan! I would highly recommend any of her books as her writing will draw readers into the pages to engage in faith-filled stories based on biblical characters that will entertain for hours! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Aug 25, 2017 |
Pearl in The Sand was my book club’s August selection and was a big winner. Tessa Afshar’s novel generated the most and best discussion we have had in a long time. Extremely well-written and meticulously researched, this retelling of the story of Rahab from the book of Joshua pointed to further scripture reading for our members — an important by-product of reading Biblical fiction. One of our members said this is one of the best books we have read, and we have been meeting for 13 years! We all loved this book and give it a very highly recommended rating.

Pearl in The Sand opens when Rahab is 15 years old and her parents, facing financial ruin, decide to use Rahab’s assets. At the prospect of becoming a prostitute, Rahab takes control of the situation and decides who and when. Betrayal from her family, especially her father, rejection from a former lover, and the years of being used by her customers, leaves Rahab feeling worthless. But rumors of a God who saves His people and overcomes all enemies, peaks her interest and she finds herself longing for an escape from the bondage of sin.

There are so many positives to this novel. First off, there are a lot of what ifs that Afshar posits. She creates a plausible story line by being faithful to the Biblical narrative, incorporating the customs of both Canaan and Israel, and creating characters who develop and grow in a natural way. Of course the main characters of Rahab and Salmone take center stage and are very compelling — their love story is sigh inducing! But the secondary characters are well-drawn and just as important to the story. Afshar’s narrative moves quickly and keeps the reader turning the pages. Spiritual themes of forgiveness, mercy, and grace are expressed in creative and poignant ways. We recounted many favorite scenes from the book that are excellent examples of God’s love and care for His people. God is shown as “impossibly holy and ridiculously merciful” — I love that phrase! Sexual sin and its consequences are explored in a realistic and sensitive manner. Afshar handles the pain, shame and burden that many people carry even after receiving forgiveness.

With beautiful themes of God’s love and mercy, characters that are real and relatable and a writing style that cannot be beat, Pearl in The Sand is one we say is a must read!

Very Highly Recommended.

Audience: adults.

Great for Book Clubs. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 14, 2015 |
Can a Canaanite harlot who has made her livelihood by looking desirable to men make a fitting wife for one of the leaders of Israel? Shockingly, the Biblers"s answer is yes. At the age of fifteen Rahab is forced into prostitution by her beloved father. In her years as a courtesan, she learns to mistrust men and hate herself. Into the emotional turmoil of her world walks Salmone, a respected leader of Judah. Through the tribulations of a stormy relationship, Rahab and Salmone learn the true source of one anothers's worth in God and find healing from fear and rejection. *This is the first historical novel I've read about a Biblical character. I loved it! Tessa Afshar is a brilliant writer. She weaves the story in a way that you wonder if it could have really happened that way. Loved the book!* ( )
  imakittycat | Jul 8, 2015 |
This was a nice read, but it lacked depth. The author would go into great detail about various challenges that the characters faced, yet all were resolved quickly and spotlessly with no lingering issues. The problem would be resolved, then the next challenge presented. The entire novel was written like this. Over and over and over. ( )
  jsalmeron | Feb 26, 2015 |

Can a Canaanite harlot who has made her livelihood by looking desirable to men make a fitting wife for one of the leaders of Israel? Shockingly, the Bible's answer is yes.

Pearl in the Sand tells Rahab's untold story. Rahab lives in a wall; her house is built into the defensive walls of the City of Jericho. Other walls surround her as well--walls of fear, rejection, and unworthiness.

A woman with a wrecked past; a man of success, of faith...of pride. A marriage only God would conceive! Through the heartaches of a stormy relationship, Rahab and Salmone learn the true source of one another's worth and find healing in God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:22 -0400)

At the age of 15 Rahab is forced into prostitution by her beloved father. Into the emotional turmoil of her world walks Salmone, a respected leader of Judah. Through the tribulations of a stormy relationship, Rahab and Salmone learn the true source of one another's worth in God and find healing from fear and rejection.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,615,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible