Bent Road by Lori Roy

Bent Road

by Lori Roy

I believe that someone on Amazon summed up the heart of this debut novel. "Bent Road is a difficult book to wedge into any particular genre other than "fiction." And that's a good thing. There is a mystery at the heart of it, a bit of romance, and some coming-of-age and coming-to-terms elements, but debut author Lori Roy has created a work that is more of a dark parable than a tale designed for entertainment or amusement."

Buried family secrets and the powers and destruction that such secrets hold are felt from the opening pages to the end of the book. You just know that in the midst of this Kansas farm country something foreboding is going to settle in and change the lives of every one of the characters Life on the farm is ordinary, Death and violence are major themes throughout the book but family ties and interactions will give true to life insight into what made this the perfect background for this story. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 6, 2016 |
The writing was pretty good. A person has to be patient with this book and probably younger to enjoy it. I probably read something similar 20 years ago. I prefer something more complex. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Once I got used to the way the author wrote, bouncing from POV sometimes on the same page while only separating the voices by a couple spaces, then I thought the story intriguing and pretty good. One part of the story I didn't care for was the way the little girl Evie was portrayed. Similar to the story WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SISTER, and THE KITCHEN HOUSE, these young girls in all the stories were too smart for their own good. All were used to "explain" things, that IMHO, the reader would have already intuited, and if not, could figure out without all the precociousness.

The only other criticism I have is how LORI ROY prolonged a particular scene towards the end. This is the scene where the son, (Daniel) has a gun. It goes on and on and on...I actually skipped some of this because I was sort of like, "okay! I got it! Move on with the story!"

Having said ALL that, I still enjoyed the story - quite a bit! Therefore, I think it's worth four stars.
  DonnaEverhart | Oct 27, 2015 |
Lori Roy's first novel, and winner of the Edgar Award, 'Bent Road' was a highly praised work that it seemed like I could not pass up.

First of all, I had some problems parsing who was whom, who went where, and remembering it all in the first few chapters. I felt as though a few more 'reminder' descriptors, subtly placed, would have led me to understanding a bit earlier on than when it actually hit.

Second, this is near-pure literature - something I'm usually averse to, in most instances. In that light, I don't think I was the right audience for the work. Frankly? I just didn't enjoy it.

Now, all that having been said, I feel like a poor judge of someone's literary work, given all of the above statements. So, I would highly recommend that you make the decision for yourself. Don't listen to the ramblings of someone who didn't care for it because - clearly - folks in the right audience loved it. ( )
  HeathDAlberts | Sep 14, 2014 |
Roy’s exceptional debut novel is full of tension, complex characters, and deftly gothic overtones. Readers of Tana French’s In the Woods will find this dark and satisfying story a great read. Highly recommended.

To Bill, Andrew, and Savanna
Celia squeezes the steering wheel and squints into the darkness.

For twenty years, Celia Scott has watched her husband, Arthur, hide from the secrets surrounding his sister Eve's death. As a young man, Arthur fled his small Kansas hometown, moved to Detroit, married Celia, and never looked back. But when the 1967 riots frighten him even more than his past, he convinces Celia to pack up their family and return to the road he grew up on, Bent Road, and the same small town where Eve mysteriously died.

While Arthur and their oldest daughter slip easily into rural life, Celia and the two younger children struggle to fit in. Daniel, the only son, is counting on Kansas to make a man of him since Detroit damn sure didn't. Evie, the youngest and small for her age, hopes that in Kansas she will finally grow. Celia grapples with loneliness and the brutality of life and death on a farm.

And then a local girl disappears, catapulting the family headlong into a dead man's curve...

On Bent Road, a battered red truck cruises ominously along the prairie; a lonely little girl dresses in her dead aunt's clothes; a boy hefts his father's rifle in search of a target; and a mother realizes she no longer knows how to protect her children. It is a place where people learn — sometimes killing is the kindest way.

Celia Scott and her family move back to her husband's hometown in Kansas, where his sister died under mysterious circumstances twenty years before, and where Celia and two of her children struggle to adjust--especially when a local girl disappears.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,897,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible