Clara and Mr Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

Clara and Mr Tiffany (2011)

by Susan Vreeland

I enjoyed this book, storyline. I thought it was interesting that she had the pull it seemed she had with Mr. Tiffany in the workplace for being a woman at that time. I thought that the writing flowed well, and it was an easy read. It is disappointing that records got lost in a fire, however I am glad that some information was saved/known. I did not know that the father is the one who kept the Tiffany Co. running, while the son had no concept of money, overhead, costs, and other business accounting things. It was interesting that he poured himself into his work, until his wife died, then he seemed to be trying to make it up to her with the lavish house he had purchased and was transforming with no regard to costs. I would definitely like to read more about the Tiffany's as well as the Tiffany Girls. I look forward to also reading other books by this author. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I actually gave up- one of the more boring stories. I just didn't care. The story just seems to be the same thing over and over. Get an idea-design-cut the glass and hope weird Mr. Tiffany likes it. Too bad. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
This was an interesting topic for a historical novel. The author wrote a well-developed story about the women behind Louis Comfort Tiffany. It was interesting to learn about the struggles the women went through just to maintain a job in the arts. My main issue with the character was her whiny devotion to Tiffany. At times, she seemed like his lapdog following him everywhere waiting for a pat on the head. I preferred her strength as she took on male managers who didn't value her department and the male glassworkers' union. Still, it was well worth the read. ( )
  jguidry | Jun 28, 2018 |
Simply marvellous! Enamoured of Clara Driscoll Booth!! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Turn of century NY City — late 1800's
Columbian Expo in Chicago — celebrating 400 yrs of America — since C. Columbus discovered
Greatest Event since Civil War
P. 19 Nature is God's work just as spirited as biblical images
P. 46 High + Low Bohemia — serious theater, social art, Jewish, progressive politics
lower eas side not rich / high class
P. 94 Straddling double world Rich working w/ Poor
Woman's Exchange — outlet wm's crafts
Pg. 95 Culture free available for all
In Brooklyn where lived — men + women
set like a salon / music / poetry etc.
P. 136 Celebration all 5 Boroughs of NY
Walt Whitman Poem
Salon knew @ Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, John Singer Sargent
Pg 153 were artists not botanists / portraying nature
P. 287 Candice Wheeler Society — not lose social standing by engaging in commercial art
Pg 101 famous pix white dress like angel wings / waves
Love Fuller — serpentine dance / symbolic art mov't — Art Nouveau
Cooper Union — Art college Started By Peter Cooper — Everyone free!
P. 287 — Candice Wheeler Society — Arts for women as a business

It’s 1893, and at the Chicago World’s Fair, Louis Comfort Tiffany makes his debut with a luminous exhibition of innovative stained-glass windows, which he hopes will honor his family business and earn him a place on the international artistic stage. But behind the scenes in his New York studio is the freethinking Clara Driscoll, head of his women’s division. Publicly unrecognized by Tiffany, Clara conceives of and designs nearly all of the iconic leaded-glass lamps for which he is long remembered.
  christinejoseph | Aug 27, 2017 |
Beauty is what Nature has lavished upon us as a Supreme Gift. - - Louis Comfort Tiffany
For Barbara Braun and John Baker, who led me to Clara and Tiffany
I opened the beveled-glass door under the sign announcing Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company in ornate bronze.
"Son, if the mountain was smooth, you couldn't climb it."

Against the unforgettable backdrop of New York near the turn of the twentieth century, from the Gilded Age world of formal balls and opera to the immigrant poverty of the Lower East Side, bestselling author Susan Vreeland again breathes life into a work of art in this extraordinary novel, which brings a woman once lost in the shadows into vivid color.

Clara struggles with her desire for artistic recognition and the seemingly insurmountable challenges that she faces as a professional woman, which ultimately force her to protest against the company she has worked so hard to cultivate. She also yearns for love and companionship, and is devoted in different ways to five men, including Tiffany, who enforces to a strict policy: he does not hire married women, and any who do marry while under his employ must resign immediately. Eventually, like many women, Clara must decide what makes her happiest—the professional world of her hands or the personal world of her heart. [retrieved from Amazon 11/10/11]

Louis Comfort Tiffany staffs his studio with female artisans--a decision that protects him from strikes by the all-male union--but refuses to employ women who are married. Lucky for him, Clara Driscoll's romantic misfortunes insure that she can continue to craft the jewel-toned glass windows and lamps that catch both her eye and her imagination.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible