Empire (Tor Science Fiction) by Orson Scott…

Empire (Tor Science Fiction) (edition 2007)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:tyler.williams
Title:Empire (Tor Science Fiction)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Empire by Orson Scott Card

So this is an interesting book with a rather promising premise. It takes a lot of modern day politics into account. It also brings a lot of conspiracy theories into play. Following guys from the pentagon probably wasn't Card's brightest idea, but that's what he chose to do.

Impressed enough to want to attempt the next book in the series, but not holding my breath anything improves. ( )
  gilroy | Feb 15, 2016 |
I enjoyed it overall, although it had tons of bi-partisan political BS. My main reason for wanting to read this novel was that it is a prequel to the XBLA title "Shadow Complex." ( )
1 vote dewbertb | Jan 21, 2016 |
I... I'm stunned at how terrible this book is. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Nov 18, 2015 |
I'm a big fan of Card and picked this up only on that basis. The dust jacket blurb didn't sound promising but, hey, its Orson Scott Card. Well, very disappointed is what I am. The character dialog was not believable and the opening set-up wasn't making much sense. But I thought it really started going south when the mechanical soldiers showed up in New York and Our Heroes just happened to be there! The Liberal-Conservative conflict at the base of this story was hard for me to resolve in the beginning. Not because Card wasn't beating me over the head with it but because I kept thinking there has to be more to this story. It was an easy read so I kept at it. The afterword says Card wrote this as the setting of a video game. Well, I guess it was plotted like a video game. I don't really know anything about Card's politics. He comes across as a right wing nut case in the afterward which explains the right wing nut case conspiracy theory of the book. ( )
1 vote capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
For an ordinary author this is a good book, but by Orson Scott Card's standards, this book is only average. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cyndie and Jeremy
for finding the balance
between the law and the life
and for sharing Victor and Cataan
"Treason only matters when it is committed by trusted men."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765355221, Mass Market Paperback)

The battle rages between the high-technology weapons on one side, and militia foot-soldiers on the other, devastating the cities, and overrunning the countryside. But the vast majority, who only want the killing to stop, and the nation to return to more peaceful days, have technology, weapons and strategic geniuses of their own.

When the American dream shatters into violence, who can hold the people and the government together? And which side will you be on?

Orson Scott Card is a master storyteller, who has earned millions of fans and reams of praise for his previous science fiction and fantasy novels. Now he steps a little closer to the present day with this chilling look at a near future scenario of a new American Civil War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:22 -0400)

The American Empire has grown too fast, and the fault lines at home are stressed to the breaking point. The war of words between Right and Left has collapsed into a shooting war, though most people just want to be left alone. The battle rages between the high-technology weapons on one side, and militia foot-soldiers on the other, devastating the cities, and overrunning the countryside. But the vast majority, who only want the killing to stop and the nation to return to more peaceful days, have technology, weapons and strategic geniuses of their own.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,603,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible