A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler

A Congregation of Jackals (edition 2011)

by S. Craig Zahler

Rating:*****
Tags:2013 Category Challenge, Spur, Because I Said So, Finished January 2013

A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great read, builds to a believable if horrible conclusion. Wonderfully paced, not boring. Part western and part horror story I found it unique, as I'm sure you will too. Thanks to the author and publisher for the chance to read and review. ( )
  dmclane | Nov 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is violent, brutal, graphic, gritty, and has realistic, flawed characters. It’s more like Western-horror.

The tension-building is almost unbearable. It takes a while to set up and seems a bit slow at first, but the dread and anticipation grow stronger and stronger as you read. Once I got halfway through and the action started unfolding, I couldn’t put it down. I did start skimming through some of the worst violence at the climax because it was rough and I needed to know who would make it out alive.

It’s not all violence and shocking turns, there are also lots of small character-building moments and humor. It really balances the story out and gives it depth. ( )
  rosapoma | Oct 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Congregation of Jackals is wonderfully written, starting off slowly and building to a crescendo. The characters come to life and really take me back to the days of the classic western movies. A tale of coming face to face with one's past, and squaring off with villains. Fantastic read that I really enjoyed! ( )
  Danysh2016 | Oct 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had to step aside from myself to read the deviant horror in this book, especially the harm to animals. Having done that, I found this irresistible. The characters, both decent and appalling, both pivotal and peripheral, absorbed me unremittingly. Details and fleeting images enhanced the reading experience and dissipated the horror.
I received this as a LibraryThing Early Reviewer. Thank you. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Oct 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Raw Dog Screaming press for this advance copy of A Congregation of Jackals! This book started out raw and brutal and I wasn't sure if I liked it but I ended up loving this book! The action never stopped and by the end I was rooting for Jim and his gang. This was a great book and I highly recommend it ( )
  EdithR | Oct 15, 2016 |

A retired member of a bank robbing gang invites his old associates to his wedding in Montana. One of those includes a bitter outlaw who was betrayed by the gang.

8 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,744,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible