These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

These Things Hidden (edition 2011)

by Heather Gudenkauf

Member:shannonlilia
Title:These Things Hidden
Authors:Heather Gudenkauf
Info:Mira (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 337 pages

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

Recently added byLisCarey, chaos-poppy, Erina39, Sbojo32, AmyScheer, private library

English (70)  Dutch (2)  All languages (72)
I liked this book a lot. I thought that it was well written and the characters were all quite likable even with their flaws. I liked the way she tied everyone together at the end.

I did not like that it did not occur to me until the acknowledgement what the real message of the book was/is. I felt that message was much too subtle and could have played a bigger part in the overall storyline. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I waver with the 3 stars I gave this book; I actually had a "throw this book at the wall" moment. 2.5 for some of the writing. Wouldn't recommend. ( )
  dariazeoli | Mar 21, 2018 |
Do not read this book unless you are a fan of Jodi Picoult or other such "soap opera" type authors. Not a gentle read, but is for sure a mystery trying to uncover who really commits the heinous crime. Flat characters and uninteresting writing, a good beach or cold winter's evening read. Don't expect to be given some insight into humanity or the nature of suffering, this is simply a story of a girl looking to redeem her terrible past and how a bad decision affects an entire community.

*SPOILER*

The author should do better research the next time she embarks on writing a novel. For one, being a librarian at the age of 21 is highly unlikely as it is a career that requires a Masters degree. Woulda been fine if she had said 25.

Also, seriously, there is no way a woman or teen--no matter how tall and skinny--could ever hide a pregnancy with twins. Seriously. Twins = double the size. It's pretty difficult to hide a single pregnancy but I've heard can happen but I just highly, highly doubt that anyone in the world can hide twins. She also sounded like she made it to full term which is another reason I had a hard time suspending belief that she could keep this secret. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
Fairly predictable. A quick read. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
An engaging read with lots of twists and turns. One review on the back compares Gundenkauf to Jodi Picoult; I completely agree. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
For Scott
I stand when I see Devin Kineally walking towards me, dressed as usual in her lawyer-grey suit, her high heels clicking against the tiled floor.

"When teenager Allison Glenn is sent to prison for a heinous crime, she leaves behind her reputation as Linden Falls' golden girl forever. Her parents deny the existence of their once-perfect child. Her former friends exult her downfall. Her sister, Brynn, faces whispered rumors every day in the hallways of their small Iowa high school. It's Brynn--shy, quiet Brynn--who carries the burden of what really happened that night. All she wants is to forget Allison and the past that haunts her. But then Allison is released to a halfway house, and is more determined than ever to speak with her estranged sister. Now their legacy of secrets is focused on one little boy. And if the truth is revealed, the consequences will be unimaginable for the adoptive mother who loves him, the girl who tried to protect him and the two sisters who hold the key to all that is hidden."--Front flap.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,943,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible