The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of…

The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus (edition 2010)

by Tim Slover

Member:aktakukac
Title:The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
Authors:Tim Slover
Info:Bantam (2010), Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:audiobook, Black Death, Christmas, Christmas fiction, fantasy, holidays, legends, magic, read, read in 2012, reindeer, Santa Claus

The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus by Tim Slover

Wow, and wow! I collect Christmas books and each year I get one or two new ones. This one is definitely going to become one of my favorites.

Tim Slover has taken the legend of Santa Claus and made it wonderful and believable. There are magical elements which are absolutely necessary when writing about Christmas and Santa Claus, but there are also Christian elements and references to the birth of Jesus Christ, which is why we celebrate Christmas. These elements are woven together seamlessly.

Klaus' story is charming. In his and Anna's relationship, we see a strong, committed marriage. Their love for the children of the world and their love and belief in Christmas is tangible. There are some deeper elements that make an adult/YA Christmas story, rather than a children's book. However, it's also a story about good vs. evil, and it's a story about charity and love.

Definitely recommended. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

Definitely recommended. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Good Christmas story. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Early Reviewer copy of this book. I started reading it, and I guess life happened and I forgot about it. I recently found it again, and started reading it to do my review. Reading a Christmas story in June, this time I couldn't put it down. The mix of history and fiction makes for a magical Christmas story. This autobiography of Santa Claus will be a family favorite for years to come I'm sure. I am already planning a family tradition of reading it aloud to the grandkids. The scent of peppermint which is explained in the book to be the magic of Christmas will always bring this story to mind. ( )
  rrnicovich | Jun 25, 2015 |
This is a good, wholesome book that beautifully describes the man we call Santa Claus. It's the kind of story that's complex enough for adults, but charming enough for children to enjoy. The Christmas Chronicles would make a great gift for a friend or the perfect book to read with the family during the holidays.

I won my copy through First Reads. ( )
  Athenable | Jan 10, 2014 |

In this new holiday classic, Tim Slover crafts a marvelous, magical novel about how Santa Claus became the man he is today. After reading The Christmas Chronicles, you’ll believe all over again in the magic of the season.

Snow is falling, and the clock ticks toward midnight on Christmas Eve while countless children, too excited to sleep, anticipate the arrival of Santa Claus. But in Tim Slover’s deeply charming and utterly thrilling new novel, that’s the end rather than the beginning of the story. In this richly imagined tale of Santa’s origins, the man in full finally emerges. The Christmas Chronicles is at once an action-packed adventure, an inspiring story of commitment and faith, and a moving love story.

It all starts in 1343, when the child Klaus is orphaned and adopted by a craftsmen’s guild. The boy will grow to become a master woodworker with an infectious laugh and an unparalleled gift for making toys. His talent and generosity uniquely equip him to bestow hundreds of gifts on children at Christmas—and to court the delightful Anna, who enters his life on a sleigh driven by the reindeer Dasher and becomes his beloved wife.

Still, all is not snowfall and presents. Klaus will be shadowed by the envious Rolf Eckhof, who will stop at nothing to subvert him. But in the end, Santa’s magic is at last unleashed, flying reindeer come to his aid, and an epic battle between good and evil is waged in the frosty Christmas skies.

By turns enchanting, hair-raising, and inspirational, The Christmas Chronicles is a beguiling tale destined to become a holiday favorite for the ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

A 14th-century woodworker dedicates his life to making children happy, but when age and infirmity catches up with him, he is made a saint and moves north to make children happy forever.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Christmas Chronicles by Tim Slover was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,402,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible