New Avengers: Siege by Brian Michael Bendis

New Avengers: Siege (edition 2011)

by Brian Michael Bendis

Member:alexiscartwheel
Title:New Avengers: Siege
Authors:Brian Michael Bendis
Info:Marvel (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, comics, marvel

The New Avengers, Vol. 13: Siege by Brian Michael Bendis

This Siege tie-in has some great material, but also has some retread which brings it down somewhat. For those who buy all the tie-ins trying to get the complete picture of the event, it can be annoying to see the same story again and again without even changing the POV. That said, this is still a worthwhile collection.

The first story in the collection is Dark Reign: The List, which recounts Ronin's (aka Hawkeye) attempted assassination of Osborn. While this is an entertaining story, with some great action, I already read it as part of Siege: Dark Avengers and I understand that it is also part of Dark Reign: The List (which I haven't gotten to yet). So, I don't feel it added any value to this book beyond increasing the price. Hence four stars instead of five.

The second part of the book follows the true Avengers as they become aware of Siege and take action. It opens with The Hood, the members of whom have been powered-up by Loki's Norn stones, hunting down the "renegade" Avengers who are in hiding. Mainly it's a series of fights, but it does have some fun interplay among the heroes, including Spider-man and Spider-Woman, as well as heralding the return of the real Captain America - Steve Rogers. The story also includes some personal interplay between the various romantic entanglements. Luke Cage gets spot-lighted, which I enjoyed since I'm not very familiar with the character. Here we see him in conversation with his wife about what their responsibilities are to their friends but also to their family. A similar situation happens with Ronin and Mockingbird. It was nice to see the characters interact this way.

The final part of the book returns to The Hood, specifically its leader Parker. When Loki took back the Norn stones during Siege, Parker lost his power and he and Masque went on the run. The New Avengers decide that everyone must be held accountable for the crisis and go after them, which means a showdown with Count Nefaria. The final pages concern a heartfelt speech from Cage overlaid on images of all the heroes. It was a sentimental, but effective way to close the book.

Overall, though I was disappointed in the duplicated material, this was an excellent tie-in with lots of great action and thoughtful storylines. High recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 24, 2013 |
Well, I finished this book two days ago, and I'm having trouble remembering what most of it was about. I guess that says something.

The one part that I really liked was Clint Barton totally going after the Dark Avengers, even though he knew it was pretty much a suicide mission. It's about time someone snapped and went after them, even though the odds were stacked against him.

And, from what I remember, there were a lot of splash pages, which I dislike. I think they're just lazy story telling, especially when there's page after page after page of them (which there was at the end).

Other than that, nothing really noteworthy happened in this trade. ( )
  schatzi | Feb 16, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078514577X, Hardcover)

Steve Rogers makes his triumphant return to the Avengers, but is he too late? With the SIEGE on Asgard begun, he must act swiftly, but who can he turn to and trust in a world with Norman Osborn in charge? When the gods fall, what chance does a Super Soldier stand?

COLLECTING:
New Avengers #61-64, New Avengers Annual #3, The List - New Avengers, New Avengers Finale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:39 -0400)

"The villainous Norman Osborn was the unlikely hero of Earth's victory over the alien Skrulls in the Secret Invasion, and he has used his newfound political cache to set himself up as the head of H.A.M.M.E.R., the new national peacekeeping force. Driven underground by the Superhuman Registration Act, the Avengers must battle Osborn behind the scenes."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,481,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible