Ansel Adams in the National Parks:…

by Ansel Adams, Andrea G. Stillman (Editor)

Member:SouthernKiwi
Title:Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
Authors:Ansel Adams
Other authors:Andrea G. Stillman (Editor)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Hardcover, 344 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:non-fiction, photography, national parks, america, black & white, ansel adams, 13 in 13

Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places by Richard B. Woodward

In his lifetime Ansel Adams photographed 40 national parks and ‘made’ thousands of images, many of which have apparently become very well known and easily recognisable in the United States.

Ansel Adams: In The National Parks is a gorgeous book featuring some 225 of Adams’ shots, 50 of which are published for the first time. All images in the book are in Adams’ preferred black and white, and together create a portfolio of dramatic, majestic and captivating photography. Adams’ gift for capturing some element of his life-long passion and reverence for America’s wilderness areas is evident in each image presented in this book.

Along with the photographs there are quotes and excerpts from Adam’s letters, essays from those who know Adams’ work and a couple of commentaries on a group of related images all of which help illuminate Adams’ philosophy on both photography and the wilderness.

Personally I find I usually prefer black and white photography, I love the drama and contrast, the emphasis on texture and subtlety. These images deliver all of those elements and more.

The only two very minor grumbles I can come up with are the sequencing of images, it would have been interesting to see all the photos from Yellowstone together, same with the Yosemite images and those from the Sierra Nevada etc. And I would have liked to have seen 2 or 3 carefully selected images in colour for comparison, especially if the title indicated they were Autumn images, I’m sure the colours in those would have been beautiful.

Overall, wonderful book full of stunning images. ( )
1 vote SouthernKiwi | Jan 9, 2013 |
the photos are beautiful and every one is worth a study but i hated the randomness of the book. why not put all the photos of yosemite and other parks together so we could get a sense of each park? ( )
  mahallett | Jan 13, 2012 |
Ansel Adams passed away in 1984, but his beautiful photographs continue to captivate the public, and especially photography lovers. While buying an original Ansel Adams can run you into the hundreds of thousands – and it was rumored that his original negatives found at a garage sale were worth $200 million – his work is so recognizable because of the countless reproductions on calendars, mugs, photo books, and so on.

Ansel Adams is best known for his black and white photographs, and the magic of his simple and captivating images can once again be experienced in the new book, Ansel Adams in the National Parks. The book features over 200 of Adams photographs and spans forty national parks, from Yosemite to Yellowstone to Glacier National Park. Ansel Adams in the National Parks also includes commentary by the photographer on certain photos, giving us more insight into his creative process.

I enjoy photography, but am by no means a fanatic, and I loved browsing through the book and learning more about the National Parks (I’ve never been to one). There were a few particular images that really made me stop and take notice of every detail; I’m sure everyone will find some that do the same for them. Ansel Adams in the National Parks is beautifully presented and would make an amazing gift to anyone who appreciates nature photography, or is simply a fan of a great coffee table book. ( )
  verka6811 | Jan 10, 2011 |
I was fortunate enough to review Ansel Adam's In Colour last year and was eager to read the newest release - In the National Parks.

Adams travelled and photographed forty national parks during his 50+ year career. This newest volume contains over 50 photographs never before published.

Ansel is one of the greatest photographers in the world. His stunning pictures are all the more incredible as he worked with what we would now consider 'basic' equipment. Prints were developed by hand, a skill he excelled at. His black and white work is instantly identifiable.

"For Ansel, the creative process began at the camera but did not end until he felt a sense of satisfaction in the darkroom. His photographic prints are a personal intensification of what was in front of the camera. They reveal not only the photographic process, but also the photographer." To quote Adams - "A photograph is made, not taken."

Ansel was an ardent proponent of preserving 'America's wild places.' Through his photographs, campaigns, and Sierra Club activities, he was successful in his raising awareness and affecting change.

As I slowly perused each page, I was struck by the beauty of each and every photograph. Stand outs for me were Redwood Stumps and Ferns/California on Pg33 and Forest/Alaska pg186 . These two images radiate movement and fairly leap off the page. The play of shadows in Grand Canyon/Arizona 1942 on pg35 was breathtaking. It accentuated the timeless and enduring quality of the stone. The detail captured in the waves and mist of Grand Prismatic Spring/Wyoming pg36 is again a testament to Adam's skill with a camera, but also his ability to see the beauty in our natural world. I think perhaps my favourite shot is Aspens at Dawn/Colorado 1937 on pg66. The lighting makes the trees look so eerily beautiful.

Accompanying many of the pictures are letters from Adams, setting the time and place, along with his thoughts. Also included are essays from Andrea G. Stillman and essays by Wallace Stegner, William A. Turnage of The Ansel Adams Trust, and journalist and critic Richard B. Woodward. These are intriguing as well, describing Adam's thoughts, actions and processes. Also included at the end are selected additional notes for certain images.

"Ansel often said ' I go out into the world, I make a photograph, and I give it to you as the equivalent of what I saw and felt."

Thank you. These timeless images are a reminder of the beauty of our natural world. And why we need to look after it. ( )
  Twink | Dec 14, 2010 |
From my book review blog Rundpinne.
When I received Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America’s Wild Places I immediately knew it was a book that I would treasure and one I would never be able to adequately describe in a book review. Ansel Adams in the National Parks is an exquisite book of America’s National Parks interspersed with the stories of Ansel Adams’ thoughts on the 40 various parks he visited and photographed throughout his lifetime. Filled with over 225 breathtaking photographs and excerpts of Ansel Adams’ letters and writings as a lifelong environmentalist, Ansel Adams in the National Parks is beautiful book to own and view time and time again. Personally, this is a book I will be adding to my list of titles to be given as gifts. I highly recommend Ansel Adams in the National Parks to anyone whether one is an art lover, environmentalist, historian, fan of Ansel Adams, or someone looking for a gift that will be appreciated throughout time, one cannot go wrong with this book. JH/Rundpinne/2010 ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Nov 6, 2010 |

With more than two hundred photographs - many rarely seen and some never before published - this is the most comprehensive collection of Ansel Adams' photographs of America's national parks and wilderness areas. For many people, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and other iconic American wildlands exist in the mind's eye as Ansel Adams photographs. The legendary photographer explored more than forty national parks in his lifetime, producing some of the most indelible images of the natural world ever made. One of the twentieth century's most ardent champions of the park and wilderness systems, Adams also helped preserve additional natural areas and protect existing ones through his photographs, essays, and letter-writing campaigns.

Edited and with commentary by Andrea G. Stillman, the foremost expert on Adams' work, this landmark publication includes quotations by Adams on the making of numerous photographs and essays by Wallace Stegner, William A. Turnage of The Ansel Adams Trust, and journalist and critic Richard B. Woodward. This is a must-own for Ansel Adams fans and all those who, like Adams, treasure America's wilderness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:16 -0400)

Presents more than two hundred of the noted photographer's works capturing America's national parks and wilderness areas, including fifty that have never before been published, accompanied by original essays, commentary on the photographs, and quotations from Adams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible