In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

In a Sunburned Country (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Bill Bryson

Member:wenderoo
Title:In a Sunburned Country
Authors:Bill Bryson
Info:Broadway (2001), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (2000)

English (171)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (180)
Great book that would make you want to visit Australia. I liked how he found a meat raffle in a pub unappealing in a surreal way. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
Bill Bryson visits Australia, calling attention to how little it is known both to science and to the world at large.

As usual, he has produced a very, very funny travelogue, full of interesting, if rather random, anecdotes and facts, but it is Australia as perceived by a well-heeled tourist so I couldn't help but wonder what was being left out. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 24, 2016 |
Ok, this one was pretty good. Still more about Bryson than about the peoples & places, but at least this time he wasn't whining. Or should I say whinging - as I've been given to understand (elsewhere) Aussies dot it. I am discussing the book on Aussie Readers before I return it to the library. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Review: In A Sunburned Country[/b[ by Bill Bryson.

Bryson takes us Down Under resulting in a humorous, fact-filled, and adventurous story combining wonder with curiosity. Australia is an exceptionally huge and the land is a privilege for tourism. The book is really entertaining and accommodating to Australian’s life style. The researched history is impeccable and Bryson captures the feel of the people, animals and the land. I will say Bryson went overboard with trying to stretch out information a little too much making it slow pace in some areas.

Bryson discovers the vast country and its environment and also gives insight into its relationship with the Aborigines and their history (this I enjoyed). At more than one point Bryson goes into natural history overload within the story and sometimes gets preoccupied with the chances of being bitten, maimed or just hurt/killed by the nature of the land. However, I will say the depth of his research is interesting and easily absorbed providing a well compact educated history lesson.

It’s more of a travelogue book with a lot of anecdotes from other writer’s, tourist or data from bona-fide born Australians. In between these tidbits is Bryson’s character creating some humor to fill in gaps about events on his journey through Australia from place to place, even parts of the outback. A lot of the information was new to me so the book kept me captivated but I thought there should have been more on their culture and the population living in their cities of today. This is a great book to read if you are planning to visit Australia.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Bryson is the foremost travel writer of our generation and, after travels through the US, the UK and Europe, he turned his focus to Australia with "In a Sunburned Country".

Being Australian, I had special knowledge of what Bryson wrote about, and found he made a few mistakes; his statement about senators from the territories is incorrect (and I'm surprised it made its way to print), and of course I take umbrage to his negative views on cricket. Bryson is a very funny man though so I can forgive him these discretions. ( )
  MiaCulpa | May 19, 2016 |
Boisterous and contagious, Bryson’s writing is a constant affectionate tease aimed at prodding the reader as much as the society and place that he is describing. Bryson loves Australia and he wants you to share his enthusiasm for it. Wherever Bryson is: gaping at a giant stuffed lobster on the roadside in the middle of the Australian outback, cursing himself as he tries to snorkel unsuccessfully in the Great Barrier Reef, or admiring Sydney’s harbor he writes with a love and a ruthlessness that only a sibling or best friend would dare to use.
added by mikeg2 | editYale University, Noam Schimmel (Jun 10, 2001)

Bill Brysonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, Felicity, Catherine, and Sam
Flying into Australia, I realized with a sigh that I had forgotten again who their prime minister is.
published in Britain as "Down Under"

The author of "A Walk in the Woods" now chronicles his exploration of Australia. This good-humoured traveller relates his outback adventures with anecdotes
about the history and local inhabitants. Describes the harsh terrain and hostile wildlife including crocodiles, poisonous snakes, and attacking seashells.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767903862, Paperback)

Bill Bryson follows his Appalachian amble, A Walk in the Woods, with the story of his exploits in Australia, where A-bombs go off unnoticed, prime ministers disappear into the surf, and cheery citizens coexist with the world's deadliest creatures: toxic caterpillars, aggressive seashells, crocodiles, sharks, snakes, and the deadliest of them all, the dreaded box jellyfish. And that's just the beginning, as Bryson treks through sunbaked deserts and up endless coastlines, crisscrossing the "under-discovered" Down Under in search of all things interesting.

Bryson, who could make a pile of dirt compelling--and yes, Australia is mostly dirt--finds no shortage of curiosities. When he isn't dodging Portuguese man-of-wars or considering the virtues of the remarkable platypus, he visits southwest Gippsland, home of the world's largest earthworms (up to 12 feet in length). He discovers that Australia, which began nationhood as a prison, contains the longest straight stretch of railroad track in the world (297 miles), as well as the world's largest monolith (the majestic Uluru) and largest living thing (the Great Barrier Reef). He finds ridiculous place names: "Mullumbimby Ewylamartup, Jiggalong, and the supremely satisfying Tittybong," and manages to catch a cricket game on the radio, which is like

listening to two men sitting in a rowboat on a large, placid lake on a day when the fish aren't biting; it's like having a nap without losing consciousness. It actually helps not to know quite what's going on. In such a rarefied world of contentment and inactivity, comprehension would become a distraction.

"You see," Bryson observes, "Australia is an interesting place. It truly is. And that really is all I'm saying." Of course, Bryson--who is as much a travel writer here as a humorist, naturalist, and historian--says much more, and does so with generous amounts of wit and hilarity. Australia may be "mostly empty and a long way away," but it's a little closer now. --Rob McDonald

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

The author takes readers on a tour of the land Down Under that goes far beyond packaged-tour routes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,629,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible