Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Notebook (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Bantam Books (2004), Paperback, 272 pages

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (nu-bibliophile)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

loved this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I loved this! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
A love story with unusual, touching ending. ( )
  parp | Aug 29, 2016 |
Another Nicholas Sparks tear-jerker.

This felt like two completely different novels - one narrating the teenage meeting of Noah and Allie, and how they were separated by time and space until they met again fourteen years later. The other, the part that really touched me, was the present day story of the narrator and his elderly wife who was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and rarely even recognised him. They are both living in an old people's home (if that's a politically correct term?) and he visits her every day, waiting for a glimmer of the person he fell in love with. Even as I write this my eyes fill, so I was very grateful that the plane I was flying in had the lights out while I was listening to this as an audiobook.

The love story between Noah and Allie was pretty predictable. Noah was a bit of a loaner who enjoyed poetry, playing his guitar and living in the country doing up a house he had fallen for many years before. He'd fought in the war and wasn't really looking for love. He hadn't forgotten his first love, but it had become little more than a dream.
Allie was engaged to an up-and-coming lawyer but it was apparent that it was more a marriage of convenience, mainly for their parents.

Others have said how good the film version of this book is and I could imagine that it would make an excellent film. Though I'd have to watch it in the dark.
Apparently the scenes in the present day were based on the lives of Nicholas Sparks's parents so it was emotion from the heart.
I always know Mr Sparks is going to make me cry, the question is whether the back-story is satisfying. In this case, maybe not, but lovers of Chick-Lit will probably disagree with me. ( )
  DubaiReader | Aug 25, 2016 |
Brilliant Brilliant Book!
The only problem is this is one of the FEW cases I have ever read a book where that I liked the movie better. I think this is because the movie touched my soul in places that the book could not. Brilliant Read and as always I remain a TRUE Nicholas Sparks Fan. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605239, Mass Market Paperback)

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she choose Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

An elderly lady with Alzheimer's disease listens to her old diaries that speak of the young love she has long forgotten.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible