Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Notebook (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:Griperang
Title:Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Bantam Books (2004), Paperback, 272 pages

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (nu-bibliophile)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

Loved the book and loved the movie even more. This is definitely a classic. ( )
  nevans1972 | May 3, 2016 |
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, is a beautifully simple story of the love two people share. In the days before the "Great Depression," two teenagers in New Bern North Carolina meet. Noah Calhoun and Allie Nelson catch a little southern summer magic and fall in love. Unfortunately, they are doomed to be parted, and at the end of the summer, Allie's disapproving parents take her away from Noah. For the next 14 years, Noah and Allie lead their separate lives, never forgetting the enchantment of that summer, and the passion they had for each other.

Noah moves to New Jersey to find work, and eventually enlists in the U.S. Army during WWII. When the war is over, having inherited a small fortune from his old boss, Noah returns to New Bern, buys the house he has always wanted, and gets to work restoring it. Meanwhile Allie, forced by her parents to marry a man with status within society, has become engaged to influential lawyer Lon Hammond. When she comes upon a chance newspaper story about Noah and the restoration of the old house, something stirs inside her. She doesn't fully understand the reasons, but Allie knows she must go to New Bern and see Noah.

Allie shows up at the house in New Bern to get some answers, and ends up spending the next two days getting to know Noah again. During their time together, something happens between them, and soon they are questioning their choices in life and their futures.

The Notebook is an intensely romantic story of the power of true love across time, across social conventions, and ultimately conquering all. The story is very simple and easy to read, but it captivates and touches the reader in a profound way. The setting of small town North Carolina is breathtaking, and only adds to the intoxicating feeling of the story. The love between Noah and Allie, from the time they are teenagers to the days they spend in the nursing home, is overwhelming.

I highly recommend this book as a quick read for any hopeless romantic. The story may be sweet and simplistic, but it is also dynamic and poignant - a beautiful story of the strength of true love. ( )
  Sandra_Berglund | Apr 5, 2016 |
My favorite of all the Nicholas Sparks books. A beautiful love story that I reccommend all the time. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
I like Nicholas Sparks' writing style and his soul. My mother died in Alzheimer-disease… This story is painfully beautiful. This love is fabulous and charming. Great book, everyone needs to read it! ( )
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Unknown if book or movie

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605239, Mass Market Paperback)

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she choose Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

An elderly lady with Alzheimer's disease listens to her old diaries that speak of the young love she has long forgotten.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,880,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible